Merged Tarrant Trade Threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeh luke ball was a bargain cos u fluked a flag:rolleyes:

in the draft u nominate years and money u cant scale it, if a team can match that they get u. If Tarrant retires hes gonna get sued.

Yep getting a flag is just a fluke (is this place getting dumber or what?)

"I will retire if any club drafts me other than Collingwood" - Chris Tarrant

See if you can get your mind around that?

Precedent - Fraser Gehrig

It's amazing that this deal has really taken this long.

Tarrant is gone. By waiting out, nothing changes. He is still gone.

Adelaide are reportedly seeking a 3rd rounder or so for Griffin so why not accept say pick 55 and on trade that to Crows for Griffin. This is probably best case scenario for Freo.

Collingwood currently has three 3rd round picks. If Fremantle is saying they only require one of those to get the deal done, just do it on Monday and get it over with it.
3rd round pick is a bargain, I don't think Collingwood should run the risk of losing Tarrant to Carlton or Hawthorn through the draft.
(I don't buy the Tarrant to retire if he doesn't get to Collingwood bluff. If he nominates a $350K salary next season he is not going to knock that back if a Melbourne club other than Collingwood pick him up)

Yep, not a lot of point in a bottom-eight club ruining their own list management in order to (slightly) screw over the reigning premier.

Even that is a bit of an exaggeration, barring injury, he wouldn't replace any player in our current best 22 next year.

Looking at some of the trades that have gone down thus far, I'd say Jack is worth a second rounder.

Ok, lets say this is the case. Freo appear to want pick 43 (second rounder), so perhaps Collingwood are trying to offload Anthony in order to keep itself in the second round?

Generally, clubs don't try to screw each other (Freo have be known in the past to screw themselves :eek: ). I'd be surprised if Collingwood are thinking draft, they are simply using it to get what they want. Conversely, I think Freo will be standing firm at wanting pick 43.

Just perhaps, maybe this deal can't be done by Collingwood until they get rid of Anthony.

Just guessing.

Ok, lets say this is the case. Freo appear to want pick 43 (second rounder), so perhaps Collingwood are trying to offload Anthony in order to keep itself in the second round?

Generally, clubs don't try to screw each other (Freo have be known in the past to screw themselves :eek: ). I'd be surprised if Collingwood are thinking draft, they are simply using it to get what they want. Conversely, I think Freo will be standing firm at wanting pick 43.

Just perhaps, maybe this deal can't be done by Collingwood until they get rid of Anthony.

Just guessing.

Possible scenario.

However, as the week has gone on, I think both Collingwood and Freo know that the Pies can basically get Tarrant for nothing, hence the low-balling.

It's almost a given that Freo won't receive a 2nd rounder for Taz unless something drastic occurs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early 3rd round- like what a pick in the 50s?

Yeh, that definitely won't happen.

If a club snared Jack for an early 3rd, they would be laughing.

Maybe he was thinking regular draft.

I think somewhere between 38-48 would be most likely.

It's funny when you look at Tarrant (Gun Key defender), then you look at Merret (Flog) Brisbane people are talking 1st rounder for him! :eek:

Pick #43 for Tarrant is a bargin but because he won't go elsewhere, we may be able to get him for pick #55.

Possible scenario.

However, as the week has gone on, I think both Collingwood and Freo know that the Pies can basically get Tarrant for nothing, hence the low-balling.

It's almost a given that Freo won't receive a 2nd rounder for Taz unless something drastic occurs.

It also appears almost a given that we won't be taking a third round pick for him, so looks like the low-balling will force him into the draft.

Whatever happens, I hope my club stand firm.

It also appears almost a given that we won't be taking a third round pick for him, so looks like the low-balling will force him into the draft.

Whatever happens, I hope my club stand firm.

This would be a silly outcome for Freo.

Why would you not accept a third, particularly if you are going to trade another draft pick (likely to be 3rd/4th) for Jon Griffin to the Crows? Basically you would be wasting picks and Tarrant would still get to Collingwood.

This is one scenario where "standing firm" is simply not good list management.

This would be a silly outcome for Freo.

Why would you not accept a third, particularly if you are going to trade another draft pick (likely to be 3rd/4th) for Jon Griffin to the Crows? Basically you would be wasting picks and Tarrant would still get to Collingwood.

Should just do a three way with Adelaide.

Could this be the next page of the Taz deal.......rumours sproating from around BF.

Taz to Pies
Blues third round pick to Freo
John Anthony to the Blues

It may not be good list management for this particular transaction, but it will give Paul Connors the message, along with setting an example for the future.

I'm happy for Freo to knock back Pick 55. If Tarrant said today he was retiring, we'd get nothing anyway.

Fraser Gehrig did exactly the same thing a few years ago when he retired got delisted then had a rethink. He indicated he'd retire if he didn't get to St.Kilda.

Yeah, but did anyone else other than St Kilda actually have any interest in Gehrig anyway? Tarrant is wanted by at least four clubs: Freo, Collingwood, Carlton, Hawthorn.

Just give them pick 43. It's a good deal. We can get a player of very similar ilk at pick 55 then 43.

:thumbsu: I think most people now agree with this. I would have preferred a pick in the 30s, but Collingwood just don't have one (and it doesn't look like they would have parted with it anyway...)

Why would we? If we can get him for 55, why give them 43? If they don't want to get anything for Tarrant then fine, he will go to the National Draft and we will see who wants to take the risk and recruit him. I mean it sounds like he wont play for anyone else but Collingwood, why would any other team want a guy who doesn't want to play for them, is 30, and would cost them a bit of salary.
Teams interested solely on making life difficult for others off the field are really focusing on the wrong things.

This situation sucks for the Dockers, we have them over a barrel. It's unfortunate, and I don't think Tarrant's attitude is great for that side, but at the same time it is great for Collingwood that he is so desperate to return to us...seems like his heart never really left.

It doesn't really matter what Tarrant is or isn't worth, because its not his onfield ability that is determining his worth, it is his off field reluctance to play for anyone else.

When teams from interstate lose a player going back to SA or WA they have 2 teams to trade with...in Victoria we have 10. If one of those teams are not wanting (for example) a small forward, then we have one team to deal with...as a result they would have us over a barrel.

TO freo fans, I understand it's frustrating because you have no power, yes none, don't think Freo would actually waste their time drafting Tarrant in the national draft in spite. And the decision makers at all other clubs would not waste a pic before 55 for him when they know he is unlikely to play for them, and if he does his heart wont be in it, oh and he's 30, oh and he's coming off a season when he was injured all year. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

TO COllingwood guys worrying we are not trading fair, what is Tarrant worth if he retires this time next year? Which is entirely possibly considering he missed a lot of this season with injuries, and let's face it, when guys get over 30 and get injured, they seem to get injured again, regularly.

It's ridiculous. I'm happy we are going to screw you over Freo, because of this thread and the amazing value that FReo fans place on a 30 year old with so many question marks.

What's Mathew Scarlett worth right now??

Hypocritical much? You want to screw Freo over because of their fans; but teams that do that have their eyes off the ball?:rolleyes:

FWIW a lot of the almost one thousand posts on this thread are Freo fans asking for a decent compensation for Tarrant and Collingwood fans rebuking the offer. Standard trade week drivel. I'm sure, ATEOTD a deal will be done.

Tarrant is damn good KPD and a bloody big loss to our team. His leaving Freo takes away more from our team than he adds to yours. Hence we have a stalemate here.

Collingwood fans are welcome to give shit to us Freo fans for overvaluing Tarrant, but we are certainly within our rights to give you guys shit in return for not understanding how good a defender he is. (Remind me again how many Freo games are broadcast on free-to-air TV over there in Vic...;))

And one more thing that's been pissing me off about this: The holier than thou attitude of a lot of Collingwood fans saying we should just "take what we're offered" in relation to JA, but it turns out that your club never offered him up anyway. Or if they did, WE had to pony up extra picks to YOU!

Pick 43. Just get it over and done with FFS.

Should just do a three way with Adelaide.

That's what I was thinking. For such an easy deal, it's really taken far too long.

Could this be the next page of the Taz deal.......rumours sproating from around BF.

Taz to Pies
Blues third round pick to Freo
John Anthony to the Blues

Not going to happen. Pies can get Taz for nothing, so why would they offload Anthony?

It may not be good list management for this particular transaction, but it will give Paul Connors the message, along with setting an example for the future.

I'm happy for Freo to knock back Pick 55. If Tarrant said today he was retiring, we'd get nothing anyway.

Paul Connors record is very good. In fact, he is the best at getting his clients to where they want to go.

The message you are sending here is not a positive one, particularly as other players will see this kind of treatment of a player which will have a negative impact on their perception of Fremantle.

The message you are sending here is not a positive one, particularly as other players will see this kind of treatment of a player which will have a negative impact on their perception of Fremantle.

I think you'll find most players will see this as exactly what it is. Freo wanting a realistic trade, Collingwood sitting up on it's high horse.

Tarrant has lost alot of respect from Freo fans in this. He could have walked away with his head high, now he will be seen as a mercenary who appears to have been here solely for the money.

I think you'll find most players will see this as exactly what it is. Freo wanting a realistic trade, Collingwood sitting up on it's high horse.

Tarrant has lost alot of respect from Freo fans in this. He could have walked away with his head high, now he will be seen as a mercenary who appears to have been here solely for the money.

I thought you already knew that.

Collingwood will probably get him for nothing! unless Freo agree to pick 55.

Link

Trade winds: Freo to lose Tarrant for nothing
By Katrina Gill 11:38 AM Sun 10 Oct, 2010
Tarrant_Rd810_246a.jpg

IT IS increasingly likely Fremantle will lose uncontracted defender Chris Tarrant for nothing after Collingwood ruled out giving up pick No.43 in next month's NAB AFL Draft for the 30-year-old.

Tarrant walked out on the Dockers to return to Melbourne at the end of the season and has nominated former club Collingwood as his team of choice.

The Pies, who are aware they can secure the veteran as a free agent in the pre-season or national drafts, are refusing to budge on their offer of pick No.55, according to a report in the Sunday Herald Sun.

Tarrant has already gone public saying he'll retire if a club other than Collingwood tries to pick him up, meaning he could land at the Pies under similar circumstances to premiership player Luke Ball last year.

Full article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back