Merged Tarrant Trade Threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No club will recruit a player who does not want to be there and have to pay them under their salary cap in the process. It just won't happen.

Draft day is November 18. That's just over 5 weeks from the end of Trade Week. If a trade is not done, I'd say 5 weeks of wining and dining at the hands of Hawks and Carlton might convince Tarrant that they aren't all that bad.

Draft day is November 18. That's just over 5 weeks from the end of Trade Week. If a trade is not done, I'd say 5 weeks of wining and dining at the hands of Hawks and Carlton might convince Tarrant that they aren't all that bad.

Watching them play does.

Worked for Essendon & Melbourne last year didn't it. They wanted to talk to Bally and his manager never passed on the calls or just said not interested.

Connors is a ****. No way will he let anyone speak to Tarrant. He'll take the exact same approach as he took last year.

This is getting ridiculous. Now we'll get all these nuffies stating draft tampering just like last year. Tarrant is a free man and is under no obligation to talk to anyone.

Personally, I'd think carlton would be that desperate that they'd pick him sight unseeen or spoken too. I think Hawks may have salary cap issues.

Pick 30 is allot different to pick 55.

Most will conceed that Tarrant is worth more than pick 55, any idea what picks Hawthorn/Blues/Doggies/Melbourne have around then? Hell even Kangroos might have a crack.

Yeah dude you're way off the mark if you think these sides will draft Tarrant. It may sound like a good idea, but when you know that the bloke has even entertained the idea of retiring if he doesn't get what he wants (although it may be very petulant) then you would stay away.

I love the way Freo fans and other supporters say they will draft him just to screw us. How are you screwing us? We don't have him and we just won a premiership. Better to keep your eyes on your own club, and start thinking about things you can control.

And whats all this crap about fairness in trades? Pick no.55 could be a gem and Tarrant might continue to have knee problems and never play for us, will you give back the player if this happens?? Surely that's fair?

Wining and dining?

You mean like the wining and dining other clubs attempted with Luke Ball?

The wining and dining of being unable to speak to him, give him a medical etc.

Yep, that just might work.

If they think it will stop them being bent over at trade week next year they might.

Idiotic. This is why supporters have no idea on how to run a football club. How will they be able to forecast into the future and know that Collingwood will screw them over? Some teams don't deal with each other for years, not because of any bitterness, but because they have no interest in each others players.

If a team like Freo (Mark Harvey does seem the type, but nobody in Melbourne would) does draft Tarrant just so he cant get to Collingwood, then I think it would show the maturity of the football club, and undoubtedly it will come back to bite them.

Wining and dining?

You mean like the wining and dining other clubs attempted with Luke Ball?

The wining and dining of being unable to speak to him, give him a medical etc.

Yep, that just might work.

I think you'll find Chris Tarrant is a different beast than Luke Ball. Ball may have been happy to sit in the draft, not so sure Chris Tarrant will be quite so unconcerned.

Watching them play does.

Worked for Essendon & Melbourne last year didn't it. They wanted to talk to Bally and his manager never passed on the calls or just said not interested.

Connors is a ****. No way will he let anyone speak to Tarrant. He'll take the exact same approach as he took last year.

This is getting ridiculous. Now we'll get all these nuffies stating draft tampering just like last year. Tarrant is a free man and is under no obligation to talk to anyone.

Personally, I'd think carlton would be that desperate that they'd pick him sight unseeen or spoken too. I think Hawks may have salary cap issues.

Ball is a dud thats why no one picked him before pick 30.

If Hawks pick Tarrant with pick 55 the worst thing that can happen is he retires, they pay him nothing, renegoiate some contracts and have more cap space the next year, sue him, make some cash and keep Collingwood from improving their list.

The best case and most likely, is that he plays and plays his best, hes not going to lose a heap of cash and end his career when he can suck it up play in a win a flag or 2.

pick 55 is nothing, it will be worth the risk, at worst Collingwood dont get Tarrant. Worth pick 55 just for that.

Idiotic. This is why supporters have no idea on how to run a football club. How will they be able to forecast into the future and know that Collingwood will screw them over? Some teams don't deal with each other for years, not because of any bitterness, but because they have no interest in each others players.

If a team like Freo (Mark Harvey does seem the type, but nobody in Melbourne would) does draft Tarrant just so he cant get to Collingwood, then I think it would show the maturity of the football club, and undoubtedly it will come back to bite them.

\So says you.

If Freo are concerned that guys might start moving back to Melbourne and other clubs start following the Collingwood model they might start losing a lot of players for nicks. One stich now might demonstrate this tactic wont work at the trade table and players are traded for worth. It may not be Collingwood but if the pies are successful at this game than others will follow suit. Something is going to give with it at some point.

If Hawks pick Tarrant with pick 55 the worst thing that can happen is he retires, they pay him nothing, renegoiate some contracts and have more cap space the next year, sue him, make some cash and keep Collingwood from improving their list.

First of all, if you select him, you need to pay him and include the $$$$ in your salary cap over the length of his contract, even if he retires.

There is no such thing about "pay him nothing". You are legally bound to pay him, whether he plays or not.

See Michael Voss when he retired at Brisbane with 1yr left on his cntract.

The best case and most likely, is that he plays and plays his best, hes not going to lose a heap of cash and end his career when he can suck it up play in a win a flag or 2.

pick 55 is nothing, it will be worth the risk, at worst Collingwood dont get Tarrant. Worth pick 55 just for that.

Take it to the comedy board will you.

This is typical Connors. He is just a single minded prick and will always get his player where he wants, very good strategist.

IMO its a bit harsh on Freo. If all they want is a 3rd rounder then that does not seem too much at all. There could be a case for them wanting their 2nd rounder which I think would be his value in the open market if he had no preferences named (I understand that is not that realsitic though).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too sure Collingwood will get their way again with this one.

If I'm correct, they are offering pick 55.They won't give up pick 43 but want to take him in the draft.

If they expect to get him in the draft at 55, they may be mistaken.

St.Kilda, Hawthorn, even Geelong would probably entertain picking him up
with a pick in the late 40's or early 50's. Surely Hawthorn would be keen.

It's hardly like Collingwood can front load his contract or anything.
They have a salary cap like everyone else don't they?

So given clubs don't wnat to give the Pies another freebie, you would think the Pies
would have to use pick 43 anyway.

First of all, if you select him, you need to pay him and include the $$$$ in your salary cap over the length of his contract, even if he retires.

There is no such thing about "pay him nothing". You are legally bound to pay him, whether he plays or not.

See Michael Voss when he retired at Brisbane with 1yr left on his cntract.

brisbane agreed to let him retire. He served most of that contract and they felt he deserved the money so once they paid him it had to go in the cap. In this case tarrant wont get a cent juz a law suit.

if i sign a contract to work for somewhere can i just not turn and get paid?
of course not.

Bit harsh on Ball, had a great season.

Win a flag or 2 with who?

Freo is the only loser out of this deal, they should just take what they can get and be done with it. Better than ending up with nothing.

Pies wouldn't give a crap if we don't get him or not. If we do, bonus, but our backline is looking quite fine at the moment and its not worth wasting an earlier pick on a player that probably only has 1 or 2 years left in him.

I have a lot of respect for Taz (hence my handle). The guy just wants to come back to a club where he begun his career, nothing wrong with being passionate about playing for a club you support. Think about it, there should be more of it.

Open your blinkers guys, i'd rather see players go to a club they want to go rather then be forced to a club they wont commit 100 percent too.

If Freo don't deal, he goes to the draft, if Pies don't get to pick him up, he retires and will probably come back to the club in another role anyway.

Only loser out of this deal is Freo, its all up to them if they want to get nothing or at least get something.

This talk about screwing Collingwood over, what a joke, wake up people, we just won the premiership!.

We are in the box seat to get Tarrant, he is unocntracted and only wants to play for us pretty similar to Grigg wanting to go to Richmond but I hope we dont get bent over like Richmond did by giving away Jack
Anthony away for Tazz.

Freo is the only loser out of this deal, they should just take what they can get and be done with it. Better than ending up with nothing.

Pies wouldn't give a crap if we don't get him or not. If we do, bonus, but our backline is looking quite fine at the moment and its not worth wasting an earlier pick on a player that probably only has 1 or 2 years left in him.

I have a lot of respect for Taz (hence my handle). The guy just wants to come back to a club where he begun his career, nothing wrong with being passionate about playing for a club you support. Think about it, there should be more of it.

Open your blinkers guys, i'd rather see players go to a club they want to go rather then be forced to a club they wont commit 100 percent too.

If Freo don't deal, he goes to the draft, if Pies don't get to pick him up, he retires and will probably come back to the club in another role anyway.

Only loser out of this deal is Freo, its all up to them if they want to get nothing or at least get something.

This talk about screwing Collingwood over, what a joke, wake up people, we just won the premiership!.

Spoken like a true Pies supporter just after a Premiership - to enlighten you what the Western side of Australia (Freo in this case) may be thinking this is it - WE DONT CARE ABOUT COLLINGWOOD AND SCREWING THEM OVER (bonus if we do), we care about Freo. We therefore may be drawing a line in the sand and losing Tarrant for nothing could represent short-term pain for long-term gain for the FREO FOOTY CLUB. Setting precedent in this regard I think sends a good message to the club, its players and supporters as well as the other AFL clubs. My old man is a Pies supporter and in his opinion he said if the shoe was on the other foot, he would hope the Pies stood firm.

Mate you have lost me, I thought you were refering to Hawthorn winning a flag or 2.

Collingwood have won this year, next year.....anything can happen!

I was, its not beyond the realms pf possibility.

My point is that if Carlton or Hawks actually pick him up, he would think oh well, i wanted to go to the Pies but im here now, these teams are pretty good, ill get a game every week most likely play finals and just maybe win a flag. Gotta be better than going out as the guy that retired cos he didnt get his way.

Its not like hes going to West Coast.

Collingwood are doing nothing wrong, there looking out for the pies, like the Hawks deliver a reputation of being pricks last year they were only looking out for the Hawks.

What will be interesting though after Collingwood id this with ball last year and Tarrent this year at What point a club, perhaps Fremantle decides to show them there not going to get screwed and draft Tarrent. Otherwise the pies will do this year in and year out and so will other clubs reducing trade week to a farce until one of them puts there foot down.

I've got an idea. Trade with us. The reason why we're here discussing picks is because Freo don't want a 29 year old (Leon) as a swap for a 30 yo. "Standing up to Collingwood" and "putting the foot down" makes it sound like Collingwood is forcing the issue.

Collingwood is more than happy to trade. The Jolly trade last year and Krakouer trade this year are examples of Collingwood being more than happy to part with decent picks. For goodness sake they even offered Pick 30 and Goldsack last year for Ball and Lyon still said no. At least they forced his hand, which read "not to Collingwood under any circumstances".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back