MFC Newbies Thread - Don't be Shy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all. I'm new to this board but have been a Dees supporter and member for many years. My expectations for season 2013 are more to do with the development of our players rather than winning games. Don't get me wrong, winning games would be fantastic and I will be cheering the lads on at the G just as loud as anyone and will be just as disappointed if they lose. But I have to be a realist and acknowledge that we are playing against teams with alot more experience than us...the top teams have more than 3 times the number of games than the Dees do so we can't realistically expect to beat them. What I do expect is for the players to further adapt to the game plan, improve their skills from last year, increase the discipline and professinalism at the club and an increase in the players physicality and fitness.

What we are missing is the premium players that teams like Collingwood (Swan, Pendles, Beams) and Hawks (Buddy, Mitchell, Rioli, Roughhead) have. There are only two ways to get these players into our side (a) recruit them; or (b) develop them. Unfortunately option (a) has proven to be virtually impossible because players of that standard want success and that is something that the Dees can't currently offer. That means that option (b) is the only realistic option we have and as we develop our players success will follow which in turn will attract premium players to the club.

Although the pre-season results weren't that flash I was wrapped with the obvious increase in the players fitness and physicality and also the improvement in their skills. Their ball movement was alot quicker and their skills in close were noticeably improved. Obviously the skill errors were still there but I did see an improvement and that is what we need to build upon.

I personally think we need to stick with the group we have for at least the next two years because whilst the discipline and professionalism that Neeld has brought to our club is fantastic the results will take time to shine through. We are also about 3-5 years away from getting enough games into our current list to seriously compete with the top clubs for the flag. We need players like Watts, Trengove, Grimes, McKenzie etc to develop into the next crop of premium players. Watts has already shown a remarkable improvement since he has switched to the back line and got a few more games under his belt. For me he will be the next big thing for the Melbourne Football Club and we need others to come through over time.

So go Dees in 2013. Continue to work hard for each other and the results will come.​

Hey folks,

been a part time poster on Demonology and a reader on land but thought I should sign up on here. Demonology seems to have died a bit since it went down and I find Demonland hard to trawl through sometimes.

Totally pumped to get back to the footy this week. Lifelong supporter & member for 15+ consecutive years.

Really looking forward to seeing all the new boys out there with some added class & grunt in the middle (Jimmy T & Jack V) and an improved forward line structure. My main hope for the year is consistent 4 quarter efforts.

Go Demons! Bring on Sunday.

Hi all,
Long time lurker, have read and laughed at many threads in this forum.
Sadly, it takes 2 weeks of the most inept and dispirited displays I have seen in my 50 years of following the demons to motivate me to start contributing.
Anyway, eternally we live in hope, it can't get any worse surely!

Hi all been a fan all my life but after tonight, well i'm having second thoughts about traveling to the games :( but still i guess it could be worse... Not sure how but it could be worse.
Heres to some more successful changes next week

Hi all,
Long time lurker, have read and laughed at many threads in this forum.
Sadly, it takes 2 weeks of the most inept and dispirited displays I have seen in my 50 years of following the demons to motivate me to start contributing.
Anyway, eternally we live in hope, it can't get any worse surely!
Hi all been a fan all my life but after tonight, well i'm having second thoughts about traveling to the games :( but still i guess it could be worse... Not sure how but it could be worse.
Heres to some more successful changes next week
Welcome guys, what a joyous time to be a Dees supporter.

Hi all, I've been following the Dees since 1980 so I've been a long suffering supporter. There hasn't been much to get excited about in those 33 years. I can still recall my dad taking me to Robbie Flower's Sportsco at Forest Hill shopping centre a few times in the early 80s & Robbie shaking my hand & giving me the odd free tennis ball. That, a few memorable finals wins & going to see us win 2 night flags when they meant marginally more than they do now are all I have to show for being a Melbourne supporter. I keeping living in hope that one day we might actually win something.

hi all, ive been following many threads from this website so i figured it was about time to join.
anyway pretty much since i learnt my first words i have followed the demons through to good times and the recent bad times. but im a loyal supporter through and through (although i will be watching classic games this year).

Hey boys,

As others have posted been reading these forums for a while now. After the season (and pre-season) we've had so far, thought it was about time that I started contributing to the discussion(s) and also showing my support for the team. (Melb sitting around 300k posts whilst NM over 1 mill)

Am a loyal supporter and a member, you know you're long suffering when the highlight of your time supporting the Dees is the 2000 Grand Final, simply because we were there, not because of the result. As we all are, I'm living in hope that some day, some time we reach another grand final, I know that no matter what it costs, I'll buy a ticket.

G'day Fella,
Similar to a lot of people here it seems, have been reading the forum for a while, but finally decided to join up.
Been a Melbourne supporter my whole life, and member for 15+ years. Made sure I renewed my membership this year, thinking 'well gee, at least it can't be as bad as last year'. Got that one wrong.
Anyway, have stuck with the boys through all the good and bad in the past, see no point in hopping off now!

Look forward to some good conversations around here in the future :thumbsu:

Hello Demon comrades

I joined Bigfooty early 2012 when I was working in Sydney and needed to stay in touch with the AFL. Mostly just lurked, but have started to post a little.
Have spent a lot of time reading Demonland and Demonology over quite a few years but have never posted. Pretty much stopped reading those two sites as I find most of the posters so one eyed as to be illogical. I've often thought half the posters on Demonland were staff of the MFC because of their dutiful carrying of the party line, often against reason. Perhaps I am cynical.
I am a current Melbourne member and have been for years. I've been bitterly disappointed with the running of the club over the last few years. There doesn't appear to be anyone in charge and is there anyone taking responsibility?
The first two games I went to were vs North and Sydney in the 1987 finals. Since then the Dees have given me more ups then downs I would say. The Dees were amazing in 2010. Showed so much promise, I don't remember ever seeing the Melbourne faithful so pumped as they were that year. Unfortunately nepotism ruled after 186 and the Connolly, Schwab and Lyon (and Stynes) crew, turfed Bailey. It seemed knee jerk to me as at the time because the players were heavily involved in trying to get rid of Schwab and Connolly and were not switched on that day (major understatement).
I think Neeld lost the players before he even started when he was negatively commenting on the players in the media. I thought he was going to be an utter failure or a genius, probably more chance of failure. Well it's much worse then I could have thought. We essentially won one game last year as GWS and Gold Coast don't count. I can't understand how he wasn't sacked before the end of last year. Neeld could well be the worst coach ever. How can the board of directors sit around while the club is going backwards at a rate of knots.
I really struggle being a Melbourne member. I don't know how much of this incompetence, and denial from the top down I can handle.
Anyway I though I would say hello and join the community

Hi fellow sufferers,
I am new to posting but have been reading the boards for awhile, sort of like, "Hi Finey, long time listener, first time caller." I am interested in what makes the club a great place to be and I think it is more than just winning (although I could happily handle that). The biggest concern for me is that the MFC have lost sight of what is important to us, a great day out, talking to our friends and family, seeing players overjoyed in each others company, marks and goals, and they are giving us formulas of how long it will take to succeed, how many square metres of turf each player must guard and how long a player can be on the field. AFL is a game of instinct within a structure and we will never get a Stevie J or a Cyril or anyone else that other supporters love with the formulaic garbage that is going on at the moment.

Improve our club and the wins will come because a great team will follow. Hear endeth the lesson.
Thanks for having me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hiya,

I joined a couple of years ago, but have just generally lurked, so...

Anyway, I'm a lifelong (approaching 30 yrs) Demon supporter. I'm a MFC member that has been based in WA for the past 6 or so years. There's nothing quite like the train trip to Patterson's, dressed in your Demons gear, surrounded by weagles or shockers supporters, trying to predict how much we'll get flogged by THIS time. Expect maybe self flagellation... or eating a bag of nails...

I'm in the UK this year for study, so have fortunately been distant from the carnage. I come here to read other Melbourne fans opinions on what's going on at our once great club. Have grown tired of reading the constant tripe printed in the media, as I'm sure most of you have too.

It makes me sad that, after all the great work Jim did in his time as president, we've been reduced back to this. Again. The club needs a shake up, in every sense of the word. However, I don't know how many times you can shake it before it turns to dust. I guess that's where we, the supporters, come in. We're the glue that has to hold this place together. It's just hard to keep doing that when you keep getting served turd sandwiches by the people who are supposed to be in control.

... this is starting to turn into a awful analogy involving glue, dust and turd sandwiches, so I'll leave it at that.

Anyhoo, GO DEES! Keeping the faith.

Cheers,
Ben

Hi. Had to sign up after I read a comment reminding me of our pre game entertainment of the 2011 queens birthday match where my friend the chocolate cake performed his version of the club song. Laughing all the way to bed tonight.. Hahah.

Hello, fellow Demon fans,

I've consciously been a fan for about 55 years, although my parents, were they still alive, would undoubtedly claim longer. Bought my first Junior Member's season ticket in 1965 for 10/- from long-serving committeeman, Arthur King. From then on I never once had the pleasure of seeing the Demons play in the finals before going to live in Sydney. For many years throughout the '80s and later there was next-to-no V/AFL coverage up here, a situation not really resolved until the Fox Footy Channel came along.

These days I get down to the G a couple of times a year, usually for matches against the Bombers and the Pies, and up until this year have had the occasional pleasant surprise.

Hope to enjoy my stay here!

Hello proud Demon fans,

obviously as my profile states, I am a Geelong supporter and have joined today after lurking BF on and off over the last few years.

I decided to post in here as I have always respected the Demons and despite my one eyed allegiance to Geelong, I am a lover of the game first and foremost and a traditionalist also.

The Melbourne Football Club as you obviously would know (better than I) has an extensive proud history of champions, legends and war heroes, as a founding member of football I truly believe them to be an institute of Australian sport and history and I will only ever wish them the best.

I wished to post here to gain your blessing to contribute on your board occasionally and to pay my respect to the loyal fans of a great club.

Just as some Demon related trivia, I'm from country Vic but have lived on the North-West of Tasmania for most of my life and Russell Robsertson's dad was a teacher of mine for four years in high school.

Colin Garland lived 6 houses down the street from me until he was 12 (he moved to Hobart) and we were good mates in primary school.

I spent a day with Aaron Davey last year at a charity event for the organisation I was working for at the time and he really is a down to earth, really nice guy, he was great with the families and actually stayed much longer than he needed too!

oDSoLrF.png

Hi Guys
I am a big Dawes fan. He is such a spunk. All of us ladies in Istanbul lust after Chris, because he is so masculine and handsome. Of course, our sexual urges must be repressed in public, but in private we make up for lost public time. I hope he has the best off season, pre-season and season proper, unlike last year. I will follow his 2014 career with interest.

Does anyone know where he is now? He is not visiting the pyramids or somewhere nearby where I can journey to be by his side? Valley of the Pharaohs perhaps? A cruise on the Nile minus a partner?

Dawes.jpg

Do you need a hand there Chris? What a man!:hearts::hearts::D I'll crawl into a sarcophagus with you anytime! :hearts::D:p

Hey BF occasional reader and finally decided to sign up to post on the wonderful topic of ASADA and EFC. I just love to try and deflate any Essendon supporters hope of coming out of their ongoing doping saga as much as I can. So just a heads up to let you know I am roaming the hallways and rooms of BF. Have been a Demons supporter only the last 16 years but pretty much one eyed in my love for the club.
To sum me up I have equal parts of hope, delusion, passion and crazy for all things Dees.

Remove this Banner Ad

MFC Newbies Thread - Don't be Shy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back