Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry mediumsizered ,I have enjoyed and respected your posting since I joined BF and found myself on our board.
Mick isn't the man for our club.
I don't know what the problem or problems are,that's why I come here .
But,clearly we are playing worse than we have for a decade or more.
It was childlike and laughable.
5 mins in and after the Wood goal (who has been bloody fantastic this year btw) that I knew we were done.That Mick was done.
We have no game plan,less structure and even less team morale,skills,nous,jumper passion,etc etc than I've ever seen.
I'm 45 now and lived thru some golden ages for sure.
Was there in 79 and 97.
After a couple of years off after the Elliot debacle,cancelled memberships etc I started to get drawn back in and started attending games handing over readies etc. even though we'd get flogged,I didn't care,they were my Blues.
I've mentioned before on here that I worked behind the food stalls and bar areas when I was 13 thru to late teens.
My mum was a member for 20+ years before Pigs Arse and his cronies sent us to the wall.
She lost interest.
I came back,she's never fully embraced the club again.
My blood is Blue and Princes Park was the first place I was employed.
It holds special memories,far too many to go through really.
In all my time,that was the most pathetic,insipid amateur game our boys have ever put on.
Unfortunately all this lands squarely at someone's feet.
I'll be here next week and support the club,but surely something has to give!.
You watched the Cows win?? o_O
I think you mean 95 mate ;)

Yeah Sack Mick, problem solved, all the deep-seated problems in our playing list and culture, that have been around for more then 10 years, will all of a sudden disappear with a new coach ..

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_AHHId6P.gif

Mick is by far the least of our problems. The fact is, I am now starting to believe we are further away from a flag then any other club.
This recession of our playing list was inevitable. Some fans are in denial about just how bad shape our playing list is. Mick genuinely wants to regenerate/rebuild our list, and if that means getting rid of a few players notorious for only running one way (not naming names, it goes without saying) then I am all for it.

RANT OVER (sorry for being grouchy, been a rough week all up :) )

Yeah Sack Mick, problem solved, all the deep-seated problems in our playing list and culture, that have been around for more then 10 years, will all of a sudden disappear with a new coach ..

View attachment 129789

Mick is by far the least of our problems. The fact is, I am now starting to believe we are further away from a flag then any other club.
This recession of our playing list was inevitable. Some fans are in denial about just how bad shape our playing list is. Mick genuinely wants to regenerate/rebuild our list, and if that means getting rid of a few players notorious for only running one way (not naming names, it goes without saying) then I am all for it.

RANT OVER (sorry for being grouchy, been a rough week all up :) )

We have by far the worst list in the comp, there does still seem to be a few on here in denial about this. You cannot polish a turd.

Casboult has done nothing to keep his place in the side and Watson can't replace him as he can't do the ruck work. If anything Watson would be a replacement for Jones if he was dropped.

With Casboult out of the side it made absolute sense for Warnock to come in.

Once Kreuzer is back one of Warnock or Wood will be out of the side and it will push Casboult even further behind as Kreuzer needs to be eased back into things. Once Kreuzer is able to take more of the ruck work i'd imagine Casboult will be a chance to return IF he shows something in the seconds.

That is completely wrong, how does it make any sense to have two 200cm statues in the one side, you can afford to carry one but having 2 just meant we played a man down everytime Warnock was on the ground.. This is not a slight on Robbie, he is what he is but anyone with half a brain realised we meeded another attacking option and Levi or Watson could have done that, it would also have allowed us to move Hendo back to try and touch the footy.

During the Richmond game it was obvious a fwd line of Hendo & Jones as our only KPF options did not work which is why Levi made a difference, but Mick has either too senile to remember round 1.... or as i suspect was trying to play games and 'out coach' Buckley with the element of surprise for his big day and it totally blew up in his face..

This in no way excuses our pathetic players who embarrassed themselves with lack of effort, however i just feel our team selection never gave us a chance and it just steamrolled downhill from there.

Our win loss record under Mick is rubbish

What is worse is we have gone backwards

We are uncompetitive

We can't kick a winning score

Most players are worse now then when Mick took over Murphy, Henderson, Yarran to name a few

Which is made worse by the fact that all those players are in the prime years where they should be playing their best football.

The problems at this club stem so deeply that there is simply too many to mention.

OK so Betts wanted to leave and Garlett needed a fresh start. I can live with that. That was out of our hands to an extent. However, not replacing (either by drafting or trading) them with small forwards has left a gaping hole on the list in that department. It means players are being gifted games in that position when their talent isn't up to scratch and it means out forward defensive pressure is absolutely non-existent.

Our foot skills have diminished an amazing amount. Once beautiful kicks (Gibbs, Murphy, Simpson etc) now turn the ball over at will and we can't convert goals for the life of us.

Our players have absolutely no composure or decision making skills and frequently run themselves into trouble which only furthers the problem of them going into their shells and playing slow, predictable footy.

We apply no pressure across the ground and seem to guard space rather than attack the ball carrier. It means we are always second to the ball. So if we are chasing a lot, why so few tackles? Answer: no work rate.

All of these things have crushed the players confidence (as would the CEO announcing the list isn't good enough and that it needs rebuilding 3 weeks into the season).

As for the staff and off-field decisions made by this club.. All you can do is shake your head.

I can't see us turning this around any time soon (and I won't be giving up on the club that's for sure) but I also can't see any fixes for those deficiencies other than to completely revamp the culture around the club, change coaching structures, shed the deadwood, trade players who aren't buying into where we want to go, and embracing the draft (and nailing the picks).

Hope you guys don't mind me posting in here.

Right now, I think the problem is that it doesn't matter if you've got Malthouse, Jock, Clarkson, Bomber Thompson, Parkin, etc coaching..that Carlton squad won't be winning games under any of them. When I see your team, I see an OK midfield which can probably compete with the best on a good day. But then I look at your forward and back lines.

It seems like you have almost a team full of midfielders occupying those back and forward line spots, apart from Jamison, Henderson and a couple of other very raw players like Casboult. It's a list issue.

However I don't think Malthouse helps resolve this issue by recruiting expensive mistakes like Dale Thomas

Malthouse will eventually lead you to success, but it's going to take a lot of rebuilding. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd rather the board admitted their flaws and got Ratten back...who would've learnt a bit more as a coach working under Clarkson

IMHO sacking MM almost justifies the playing group serving up what they did last night.....no matter how bad the game plan, how much you may dislike the coach or the water boy or any other member of the club, you are paid dam good money to be professional & do a job, the players need to pull their heads in & do their jobs.

PS - I miss the good ole' days where players played for the jumper :(

I posted on your board a long time ago that Carlton got Mick for the wrong reasons, and Mick took the job for the wrong reasons. Which is always going to lead to disaster.

The fact that Mick has simple tried to make himself "feel at home" by basically getting anyone he could over from Collingwood would make me FURIOUS as a Carlton supporter. If Carlton aren't going to cut ties before season's end, then they HAVE to be looking for a proper coach to start from scratch, and I mean proper scratch, and grow with a young team.

But they have to do their due diligence. They need to speak to whomever they can at Hawthorn and go through whatever process they went through to get Clarkson. Your club can't continue to pander to the media and do everything "big". Do what's right for Carlton. Some really really hard calls are going to have to be made on this list. Guys like Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer (poor guy), despite playing in a bad side would still have massive currency and allow Carlton to build a nice war chest of top picks to relaod and go again with. In the end, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer and the like will not be part of the next Carlton premiership side, so why not strike while the iron is hot and use them to get the players that WILL be in Carlton's next premiership side?

I don't think Mick is the problem where I do think Mick stuffed up with is not turning over the list after the first year he was fooled by playing finals.

We lost Betts as a FA at the end of that year and a further 10 players were either traded or delisted, how many more changes do you think could have been made in one year?

Eddie Betts (FA)
Andrew Collins (del)
Fraser Dale (del)
Marcus Davies (del)

Shaun Hampson (trd)
Aaron Joseph (del)
Jeremy Laidler (del)
Patrick McCarthy (del)
Luke Mitchell (del)
Rhys O'Keeffe (del)
Heath Scotland (del)

Mick has to tell the players this year is your last year to impress and if you don't your gone. We want players that can pressure the opposition, run both ways and above all show effort week in and week out. Who does that now??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the dilemma is Mick is good at developing lists but he might not be up to speed with modern tactics
Good point. It's on record that Buckley was the one that presented him the forward press for the 2010 season.

Although I think Malthouse is good at adapting (even though he always tries to play along the boundary) and younger assistant coaches will have a big input on tactics, like Buckley & co did when he was at Collingwood. Like I said in my last post, it's more to do with the list in my opinion

You have no spine. You have midfielders running around in defensive and forward positions. Your most experienced players are outside types (Gibbs) apart from Judd who's getting an A+ for effort, but he's clearly struggling physically

Whoever your list manager is has a lot to answer for IMO.

Good point. It's on record that Buckley was the one that presented him the forward press for the 2010 season.

Although I think Malthouse is good at adapting (even though he always tries to play along the boundary) and younger assistant coaches will have a big input on tactics, like Buckley & co did when he was at Collingwood. Like I said in my last post, it's more to do with the list in my opinion

You have no spine. You have midfielders running around in defensive and forward positions. Your most experienced players are outside types (Gibbs) apart from Judd who's getting an A+ for effort, but he's clearly struggling physically

Whoever your list manager is has a lot to answer for IMO.
Completely agree when you look at our spine of
FB: Jamison
CHB: Rowe
CHF: Henderson
FF: Jones

Its severly lacking quality compared to a spine of Collingwood or Essendon.
FB: Frost
CHB: Brown
CHF: Reid
FF: Cloke
+ Darcy Moore coming Up

FB: Hooker
CHB: Hurley
CHF: Carlisle
FF: Danniher

cant win a premiership with an average spine

Hope you guys don't mind me posting in here.

Right now, I think the problem is that it doesn't matter if you've got Malthouse, Jock, Clarkson, Bomber Thompson, Parkin, etc coaching..that Carlton squad won't be winning games under any of them. When I see your team, I see an OK midfield which can probably compete with the best on a good day. But then I look at your forward and back lines.

It seems like you have almost a team full of midfielders occupying those back and forward line spots, apart from Jamison, Henderson and a couple of other very raw players like Casboult. It's a list issue.

However I don't think Malthouse helps resolve this issue by recruiting expensive mistakes like Dale Thomas

Malthouse will eventually lead you to success, but it's going to take a lot of rebuilding. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd rather the board admitted their flaws and got Ratten back...who would've learnt a bit more as a coach working under Clarkson
I agree..but Dale Thomas would have added a bit this year if not injured 1st round

Surely Mick must be moved on now. Can we really afford do dish this up for another 17 weeks. If the pies make us look that bad won't be able to watch it when we play a good side

We only have one half decent KPP

That's just insanely bad

And depressing

I think we need to accept some serious overhauling is needed to do the rebuild properly

We need 3 quality KPPs and a quality ruck not to mention x amount of quality mids to add to the list

That doesn't happen overnight

Arguably we need to pick the best tall two years straight and then in the third year take the best mid

It will take time

Surely Mick must be moved on now. Can we really afford do dish this up for another 17 weeks. If the pies make us look that bad won't be able to watch it when we play a good side

I guarantee you, unless he decides to retire, Mick will see the season out as coach, we as a footy club, owe Mick, a custodian of the game, that much.

The season is a write-off, what would sacking Mick achieve, except to make our club look like a panicky/reactive club that hasn't changed its ways ??

The players don't deserve an easy 'out' if Mick is terminated early as coach, they have been cruising on Easy St for far too long, and I do question the intestinal fortitude and work ethic of the core senior playing group (aside from Judd, Simmo, and Army etc)

We're Soft. I hate saying it, but the evidence was there on display last night at the G, not sure if a new coach can turn a collective group of marshmallows into bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back