Mick still bitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd prefer our coach not to comment on another club's salary cap however it should be noted that Mick isn't officially Carlton coach yet and is answering in his capacity as a media person. I hope he steers clear of it when he actually takes the reigns at the Blues.

He won 3 premierships, made 7 grand finals, 12 top 4 finishes and finals 19 of the 23 years he coached both WC and Collingwood.

The guys is a modern coaching legend.

Indeed he is. And his time was up at Collingwood, just like it was at West Coast.

Incidentally, the last "coaching legend" to win a premiership before Malthouse was Matthews. Every premiership coach since (Williams Worsfold Roos Thompson Clarkson Scott Longmire) has been a first time coach...with the exception of Bomber Thompsons second flag. And Ross Lyon was unlucky a couple of times to not add to that list.

Collingwood chose to not make the mistakes Carlton made with Pagan and Essendon made with Sheedy, and opted for youth.

I am just suggesting the conflict in the last two years with Eddie would pprobably have been high on the list of things causing Mick a lot of stress.
No doubt but MM signed the deal and then obviously had second thoughts. MM's behaviour after that wasn't what you expect of a man batting for 'boys'. I dare say it caused Ed a bit of angst as well. There's shared blame here.
For what its worth, I don't know if the deal was good or bad for the club. I'll wait and see.

He was just as responsible for winning a flag as what the players were u tool. Going by your silly logic then we may as well not have coaches and just let the players go out and play games then. The fact that your having a go at him for not acquiring any big names so far after his coached your club for 10 years through a successful period just shows how ignorant you are
???
MM was a great mid week coach, a good motivator and the like. He would develop a pretty strong plan A but in 2010 he was outcoached by R.Lyon, who scrambled well once Gardi went down.

And again in 2011, once Pods went off and Geelong went mobile Mick had no answer.

He was outcoached, luckily in 2010 the team was that much better than the Saints that they came away with a draw.

And MM didn't land any big fish - Ball, Jolly both came after the succession plan was announced. Carlton can get used to not getting anybody as MM loves 'his boys'.

I'd prefer our coach not to comment on another club's salary cap however it should be noted that Mick isn't officially Carlton coach yet and is answering in his capacity as a media person. I hope he steers clear of it when he actually takes the reigns at the Blues.

was about to say that he is still media but i think he needs to be abit more careful, mick is now associated with the carlton coaching position so indirectly people are going to assume this.

If past premiership players that have played under him are almost universal in their praise for the man, likewise many assistants or coaches that have coached both under him or against him, then he must be pretty alright.

Of all the people that should hold a grudge against Malthouse, Woosha would be somewhere near the top of that list. Two time premiership captain, fit to play and dumped before a final that WC lost, never to play again. Many would be sore about this, but Worsfold has always been consistent in his absolute praise for Malthouse.

I remember seeing him talk to Cousins on 7. Now Cousins unfortunately seems to come across as overly confident even cocky on TV interviews, but he was like a little kid when speaking to Mick. Likewise I remember Jack Reiwoldts effusive praise after one of the IR series.

Yes he occasionally seems like a cranky self absorbed Moo, but he is immensely successful and well liked by his players, which makes me think media Mick=/=real life Mick.

I don't have any reason to doubt the opinions of Mick. We need to remember that to come out and pot your ex coach is not really the done thing by past players. Whenever it has been done, it sensationalised in the media and then we forum junkies go to town on that player for being a sook. Woosha wouldn't dare slam a fellow coach out in the open.

When past players and coaches speak about Buckley, it's almost always in glowing terms and with admiration. The figjam label doesn't rate a mention. Are they liars? Those who say that they are, have to be willing to accept that perhaps those speaking about Malthouse are also lying. Sometimes I think that when it comes to MM, most would say that the admiration is real. When it comes to Buckley, the admiration is just B.S. talk for biographies and PR. These are just examples of how on the record appraisals of coaches and players can be construed. How much of it is real?

He will steer well clear of it. I loved the fact that he was tunnel visioned and only really worried about his boys for most of his time at Collingwood. I don't remember him saying anything inflammatory about other clubs. That won't change.

???
MM was a great mid week coach, a good motivator and the like. He would develop a pretty strong plan A but in 2010 he was outcoached by R.Lyon, who scrambled well once Gardi went down.

And again in 2011, once Pods went off and Geelong went mobile Mick had no answer.

He was outcoached, luckily in 2010 the team was that much better than the Saints that they came away with a draw.

And MM didn't land any big fish - Ball, Jolly both came after the succession plan was announced. Carlton can get used to not getting anybody as MM loves 'his boys'.
But that's the thing, it is all about player development and the plan A.

Meh.

He came for Cloke, he failed.

He went for Lynch, he failed.

He says he will target Tippett, he will fail again.

Welcome to Mick Malthouse post season- where he throws his hat in every ring and comes up short all the time.

You seemed to have forgotten about Luke Ball and Darren Jolley. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they play substantial parts in your 2010 flag?

Open the other eye mate.

???

So you reckon MM coached succesfully for 10 years at Collingwood with just a plan A and no plan B.
I suppose it was all luck as well that when he first took over the club which was a basket case early on and down the bottom of the ladder he fluked Collingwood into 2 successive grand finals within a few years with an ordinary side and continued to build a side that would make finals on a regular basis until the 2010 flag came long. As some posted earlier on he won 3 premierships, made 7 grand finals, 12 top 4 finishes and finals 19 of the 23 years he coached both WC and Collingwood which is a record most coaches would dream of yet you still refuse to give him any credit. I wont bother responding to any more of posts cause you clearly have no clue

Hey, if you're a Carlton fan and you go deep in the finals next year and it's fueled by revenge, you won't be too concerned.

No doubt in my mind that his motive is 'I'm not done, until I say I'm done' though.

As for sticking his nose in here, early call for mine....let everyone just wait and see who picks up who, and most importantly who they plan to move on.

Silly to make assumptions when the lists are no way near completed yet.

Pies could be planning a massive yard sale.

You seemed to have forgotten about Luke Ball and Darren Jolley. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they play substantial parts in your 2010 flag?

Open the other eye mate.
I think it is called selective amnesia. Nah......you're right, MM has gone from hero to zero once he left the Westpac Centre. Many of us remember Lethal being promised a job for life at Collingwood after breaking their premiership drought, but didn't they turn on him as soon as things went a bit pear-shaped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer our coach not to comment on another club's salary cap however it should be noted that Mick isn't officially Carlton coach yet

Honestly still staggered by that.

Roll up your sleeves and get in there man!

Just like you encouraged your assistants to get into things straight away when they accepted roles elsewhere, that they should be 'opposition club' people as soon as they sign on the dotted line.

If past premiership players that have played under him are almost universal in their praise for the man, likewise many assistants or coaches that have coached both under him or against him, then he must be pretty alright.

Of all the people that should hold a grudge against Malthouse, Woosha would be somewhere near the top of that list. Two time premiership captain, fit to play and dumped before a final that WC lost, never to play again. Many would be sore about this, but Worsfold has always been consistent in his absolute praise for Malthouse.

I remember seeing him talk to Cousins on 7. Now Cousins unfortunately seems to come across as overly confident even cocky on TV interviews, but he was like a little kid when speaking to Mick. Likewise I remember Jack Reiwoldts effusive praise after one of the IR series.

Yes he occasionally seems like a cranky self absorbed Moo, but he is immensely successful and well liked by his players, which makes me think media Mick=/=real life Mick.

Yeah, I think he has to be a great guy as well, hence the whole thing about loving to sit down and have a chat with him. But you can't deny that last year he became all about himself. He might be all about the team when everything is going his way, but when things turn to crap he is ridiculous in the way he words everything to make himself look better.
Every person and every coach would have personality traits that are negatives, to me Micks is his ego, that doesn't mean he isn't a great coach and wont be excellent for Carlton, but it does mean he finds it very difficult to end things gracefully.

Yeah, I think he has to be a great guy as well, hence the whole thing about loving to sit down and have a chat with him. But you can't deny that last year he became all about himself. He might be all about the team when everything is going his way, but when things turn to crap he is ridiculous in the way he words everything to make himself look better.
Every person and every coach would have personality traits that are negatives, to me Micks is his ego, that doesn't mean he isn't a great coach and wont be excellent for Carlton, but it does mean he finds it very difficult to end things gracefully.
Reasonable post.

There is definitely an element of cranky old man about him. If you had spent 30+ years dealing some of the ****wits he has probably had to though, then maybe it would be easier to understand his behaviour?

Really baffled by some Collingwood supporters attitudes towards MM.

First off, were his comments really that unreasonable, speaking in a media role or even as an opposition coach? As has been pointed out many times in the recent past we have signed up all of our gun players so far minus a couple. It's only logical to suggest that we've almost reached breaking point with the signing of Lynch. When it's mentioned by anyone else in the footy media nobody bats an eyelid.

The succession plan was at the time, and I believe still is, the right way forward. Back when it was originally signed Mick had been at the club for 9 years and once again we were a step behind the front-runners, this time being Geelong and St.Kilda. As many have pointed out Mick appeared to be at the top of his game throughout 2010 and 2011, however, it's impossible to foresee this a year or two prior. Regardless, there is only one way anyone, or anything, can go once he or it has reached his peak. As others have said, Pagan and Hafey were once great coaches also... I've been happy enough with Buckley's performance as a coach given the circumstances he had to work under. We once again found ourselves a step behind the front-runners such is the ebb and flow of an AFL club's fortunes. It's foolish to objectively analyse a first-year coach's performance on a standard set by Brisbane circa 2001 - 2004 and Geelong circa 2007 - 2011, as these are not the norms. Only time will tell, likely based on the performances of Buckley's Collingwood and Malthouses's Carlton from 2013 - 2015 as to whether the choices made in 2009 were the right ones.

If I was a coach and won a premiership and made the next year's grand final and I got turfed for an untried coach... I'd probably feel a little bitter too.

What if you had a signed sealed and delivered 3 year contract for roughly $800,000 a year to walk straight into at the conclusion of said coaching tenure? Which you then back out on within weeks of finishing up thus indicating the intention to back out a long way out. Both parties erred so move on, the fact that Collingwood is the bad guy with most externally and MM the bad guy with most internally helps no one!

I've got no issues with MM passing judgement on the Collingwood salary cap because all's fair in love and war and in all likelihood he's right. I'd just prefer the attention to go towards the extra cap that is alotted to Sydney. It wasn't the difference between them winning and losing the 2012 premiership, but surely we've moved beyond the point we're an established club deserves an extra 10% on their salary cap above everyone else!

Again this isn't a pot shot at the Swans it's the league that need to answer to this. Yes we need at least one team north of the border to be strong, but surely we've moved beyond a point where this is achieved by being able to throw extra money at players.....

Contract for a position that no longer exists.

If that's what you want to focus on then more power to you :thumbsu:

I'd however argue that Eade is looking mighty cushy in a role that is similar to what MM would have had, if a little more hands on.

The fact that MM never even gave the role a chance is just as telling because it was as clear as day that 2011 was his last year with the club a helluva long way out, no matter how good the golden handshake role was. Because lets face it MM loves to be the man and anything less is nothing to him.

BTW there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it's just an indicator as to why BOTH parties were on a hiding to nothing.

Indeed he is. And his time was up at Collingwood, just like it was at West Coast.

Incidentally, the last "coaching legend" to win a premiership before Malthouse was Matthews. Every premiership coach since (Williams Worsfold Roos Thompson Clarkson Scott Longmire) has been a first time coach...with the exception of Bomber Thompsons second flag. And Ross Lyon was unlucky a couple of times to not add to that list.

Collingwood chose to not make the mistakes Carlton made with Pagan and Essendon made with Sheedy, and opted for youth.
Keep leading that blind faith just don;t walk into any walls now, he was far from finished and got the best of every single list he worked worth not something you just throw out of the door to hire an untried coach specially after he just made the grandfinal.

I'm shocked how many Collingwood fans in the space of a year have forgotten what he bought to your club and where you pulled it from.

Keep leading that blind faith just don;t walk into any walls now, he was far from finished and got the best of every single list he worked worth not something you just throw out of the door to hire an untried coach specially after he just made the grandfinal.

I'm shocked how many Collingwood fans in the space of a year have forgotten what he bought to your club and where you pulled it from.
Lol coach doesn't pull a club anywhere. Eddie dragged us from the mire.

If I was a coach and won a premiership and made the next year's grand final and I got turfed for an untried coach... I'd probably feel a little bitter too.
If I was a supporter of a club that had their flag chances trashed by the petulance and media grand standing of a departing coach I'd probably feel a little bitter too. . . Oh wait . . . yeah. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick still bitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back