Mick still bitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

He is so bizarre is old mick

Says they will be into Tippett if he considers Victorian clubs - nek minnit - list is fine, won't be into free agents

Not dancing on rattens grave - says if he doesn't coach next year he prob wont again

Says no discussions on future until oct - signs as coach early September

Says at pies b&f couldn't coach against the boys - signs as Carlton coach

Says needs to speak to family to get the ok - comes out and says they'll support him no matter what

Berates Milne in 2010 - press conference after game denies it, forced to apologise when realises it clear as day on tv

A few journos that he's been very short with over the years will be on standby with the knives out if this "stick it up Eddie" plan goes arse up. Will be nice to see

You seemed to have forgotten about Luke Ball and Darren Jolley. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they play substantial parts in your 2010 flag?

Open the other eye mate.
Only went after them when faced with a two year time frame to deliver the flag.

Open at least one eye.

Only went after them when faced with a two year time frame to deliver the flag.

Open at least one eye.

Yeah, it amazes me that there are still some footy fans out there that don't know Malthouse was not trying to win a flag in his first 10 years. He almost stuffed it up in 02 and 03 but managed to guide the team to defeat from the jaws of victory. That is why he is a genius.

Yeah, it amazes me that there are still some footy fans out there that don't know Malthouse was not trying to win a flag in his first 10 years. He almost stuffed it up in 02 and 03 but managed to guide the team to defeat from the jaws of victory. That is why he is a genius.
Whatever he was doing before the succession plan clearly wasn't working and even then he had to rely on the bounce of the ball.

Whatever he was doing before the succession plan clearly wasn't working and even then he had to rely on the bounce of the ball.

I've heard this many times and I guess we will never know. My view is that likely Jolly and Ball would have happened regardless of any succession plan. Don't so much know the details on Jolly but Ball was certainly an opportunistic pick up driven by the player more than the club so I think it happens regardless.

But I think what this whole "he only got Jolly and Ball when he was about to be sacked" argument ignores is what he did in 08 and 09 to build up a team that basically included 8 midfielders that ran all day. You don't do that overnight.

The point is that he had ten years. Thats a long time.

I've heard this many times and I guess we will never know. My view is that likely Jolly and Ball would have happened regardless of any succession plan. Don't so much know the details on Jolly but Ball was certainly an opportunistic pick up driven by the player more than the club so I think it happens regardless.

But I think what this whole "he only got Jolly and Ball when he was about to be sacked" argument ignores is what he did in 08 and 09 to build up a team that basically included 8 midfielders that ran all day. You don't do that overnight.

Jolly and Ball may have happened regardless (equally we might have won the flag in 2010 without Malthouse as Geelong did in 2011 without Thompson, that too we will never know) but should have happened many years earlier, Fraser (and O'Bree to a lesser extent) spent years slogging it out with basically no help.

Whatever. . . You fail to take into account - or conveniently ignore - that he had already had a decade to succeed and had failed and yet he was STILL given another contract, to my knowledge that is unprecedented at any sport in the top level.

Anyone saying Collingwood didn't show AMAZING patience and loyalty to Mick is an a-hole.

Whatever. . . You fail to take into account - or conveniently ignore - that he had already had a decade to succeed and had failed and yet he was STILL given another contract, to my knowledge that is unprecedented at any sport in the top level.

A five year contract no less. Two years of coaching and three years of being an overpaid fat cat. Very generous.

..it's simple i believe.. ..change the name of Buckley, and would Eddie have pushed so hard for this succession plan to lock in an 'untried coach'..??..

..if i remember correctly, prior to the succession plan Bucks had barely done much coaching at all, and was 'reportedly' being sounded out regarding the roo's position.. ..he had donely barely enough to honestly warrant such a succession plan, it was Eddie's crush on Bucks that carried a lot of the movement.. ..Bucks isn't without talent, but to force a succession plan on your experienced coach that is coaching repeat finals and prelim teams, that the players obviously bleed for.. ..and to do this for a barely experienced assist. coach was always going 'against logic'..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MM was born bitter but he can say what he likes about whatever he likes as far as I'm concerned. It won't change the result. Collingwood will either fit everyone or they wont and none of the players will will get one kick more or less because MM got it right or wrong. Weak clubs worry about outsiders comments. Strong clubs do what needs to be done regardless.

He wasnt at the club when the contracts were signed.

So what? He was coach just the year prior. He'd have known what space there was in the cap and have a pretty solid idea of what the club terms the club thought acceptable to accommodate both player and cap. Are you trying to tell me Mick wouldn't have the slightest clue and you'd know better. Geez, you blokes really are becoming an army of little Eddie's, fabricating whatever makes you feel better about it all and running with it.

So what? He was coach just the year prior. He'd have known what space there was in the cap and have a pretty solid idea of what the club terms the club thought acceptable to accommodate both player and cap. Are you trying to tell me Mick wouldn't have the slightest clue and you'd know better. Geez, you blokes really are becoming an army of little Eddie's, fabricating whatever makes you feel better about it all and running with it.

He'd have no idea what the new contracts were signed for. Especially Lynch's contract. Having information thats 12 months out of date is the same as having no information at all. He's just guessing.

..it's simple i believe.. ..change the name of Buckley, and would Eddie have pushed so hard for this succession plan to lock in an 'untried coach'..??..

..if i remember correctly, prior to the succession plan Bucks had barely done much coaching at all, and was 'reportedly' being sounded out regarding the roo's position.. ..he had donely barely enough to honestly warrant such a succession plan, it was Eddie's crush on Bucks that carried a lot of the movement.. ..Bucks isn't without talent, but to force a succession plan on your experienced coach that is coaching repeat finals and prelim teams, that the players obviously bleed for.. ..and to do this for a barely experienced assist. coach was always going 'against logic'..

Do people actually realise that just because Eddie is the face of Collingwood (as he should be, what with being the president and all..) doesn't mean he makes all the decisions himself? You're just showing your own ignorance as to how a footy club, or any organisation is actually ran.

I'm not sure what was fabricated about Mick not being at the club when the contracts were signed? It's a fact.

Gotta love the haters and Mick worshippers - every single publicly available fact endorses Eddie and the clubs handling of the affair and of Mick's tenure at the club from go to whoa but they'll never admit it.

Warms the cockles of this old Pie's heart to see such devotion to trying to tear down the Woods :rolleyes:

It won't happen flogs, we've been the prime target of haters and rednecks for 80 years now so its music to our ears to hear you whining and snapping outside the camp like the curs you are.

You're with us or against us - so it has always been - and we like it like that.

Sydneys succession plan has worked a treat.

I fail to see how Collingwoods should be deemed as a failure after just one season when its basically the same as Sydneys.

..first up let me say that i don't think Buck's will be a dud, so it may turn out ok.. ..also obviously this will be marked down the track, any slide to pies this year to be expected with a new untried coach coming in, so any drop-off in form is to be 'allowed' to a certain degree..

..however, these succession plans are not similar.. ..Roo's chose his timing and manner of exit, instigating the succession plan himself, choosing and grooming himself his heir in Longmire.. ..also, just because one worked at a different club, doesn't mean yours will either.. ..Parkin did his own, Brits lasted 1 season..

..i also think sydney has a club culture that's unique, and have maintained a strong sense of continuity and cohesion through their hand-over..

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick still bitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back