Mick still bitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it's hard to criticise him for not winning more Grand Finals. At some point it is the player's reponsibility, Mick can't very well go out there and kick the ball for them. The Pies were never going to beat Brisbane in 02 and 03.
Especially with MMs coaching moves.

However, in the same context, hard to praise MM when it is the players who go out and kick the ball.

Please. He got a very average list to grand finals in his 3rd and 4th years. The fact that you ran into one of the greatest teams in the history of AFL/VFL both times is not his fault.

We were one decent ruckman from pinching a flag in 2002. Yet in the consequent 8 seasons he failed to recruit one. In 2007 we were again inches from pinching a flag and again we were smashed in the ruck.

Gotta love how Malthouse turned from a tired old has been in BFerss eyes 5 years ago to a legend 2 years ago and now he's out of Collingwood all of a sudden he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You people are the living end :rolleyes:

Find one post of mine saying anything of the sort :rolleyes:

Always rated him and was suprised so many Pie fans were so keen on getting rid of him. From memory I think my harshest comment on him in my entire time posting here was along the lines of being amazed that a coach as good as he is feels the need to say some of the things he does in press conferences.

Find one post of mine saying anything of the sort :rolleyes:

Always rated him and was suprised so many Pie fans were so keen on getting rid of him. From memory I think my harshest comment on him in my entire time posting here was along the lines of being amazed that a coach as good as he is feels the need to say some of the things he does in press conferences.
Did I mention you by name?? NO

He's a great motivator and a great list builder.

Great coach???

Leaving a clearly injured Reid on a rampaging Hawk in the GF proved that he lets his opinions and emotions interfere with his match day judgements.

We were one decent ruckman from pinching a flag in 2002. Yet in the consequent 8 seasons he failed to recruit one. In 2007 we were again inches from pinching a flag and again we were smashed in the ruck.

Quality rucks don't grow on trees, especially so during that time period. You see the succession plan as the impetus for him to get one. I see it as nothing more than Jolly's availability. Ball's unique situation with St Kilda sure didn't hurt your flag chances either. Those 2 were served up on a silver platter compared to the ins and outs of previous trades that would be required to bring in similar players.

Like I said - your opinion and you're welcome to it. It is not a fact.

Great coach???

Leaving a clearly injured Reid on a rampaging Hawk in the GF proved that he lets his opinions and emotions interfere with his match day judgements.

As was picking a forward pocket first year player (Fasolo) as sub over the experienced versatile utility (Goldsack) who would have been a useful extra pair of hands in defence and could have allowed us to sub Reid off. An equally big mistake, imo. Possibly worse.

As was picking a forward pocket first year player (Fasolo) as sub over the experienced versatile utility (Goldsack) who would have been a useful extra pair of hands in defence and could have allowed us to sub Reid off. An equally big mistake, imo. Possibly worse.
You think making a personnel selection is as bad as leaving a clearly injured player both on the field and on a raging opponent??

WOW, just farking WOW

Quality rucks don't grow on trees, especially so during that time period.

Quality rucks change clubs every year. Just look back and see the names that have been traded over the past 10 years or so. Theres heaps. Its a myth that they dont grow on trees, the reality is they often need to change clubs for better opportunities because theres only limited spots available in the 22 for ruckmen.

You think making a personnel selection is as bad as leaving a clearly injured player both on the field and on a raging opponent??

WOW, just farking WOW

Yes I do because Reid went into the game injured and Goldy would have been good insurance. Fasolo was never going to have an impact.

The two errors are not unrelated. Having refused to select insurance for Reid, Malthouse let his ego get the better of him and decided to hang Reid out to dry, to make Reid the scapegoat.

lol, no you just quoted my post. Apologies, how could I have been so stupid :rolleyes:

Something that Carlton sorely need IMO. Plus a much needed increase in mental toughness - we are weak as water presently, the gap between our best and worst is a chasm.. I'm confident he will be able to bolster those areas if nothing else.

Great coach???

Fair point - look, Ratten didn't do a heap wrong and I'm not convinced Malthouse is the answer. But what I will say is he is a better option for Carlton at this point in time. Not many were lauding Ratten's tactical match day nous, and I'm confident MM is a fair upgarde in the areas mentioned above and will be able to get the list playing at their best more consistently. Whether thats worth what we're paying him or is good enough for a flag... who knows.

nate dogg will never be a malthouse. i mean there's a reason why people use the terms "a malthouse" "a sheedy"

Own one of these do you?

dmc-12.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol, no you just quoted my post. Apologies, how could I have been so stupid :rolleyes:

Something that Carlton sorely need IMO. Plus a much needed increase in mental toughness - we are weak as water presently, the gap between our best and worst is a chasm.. I'm confident he will be able to bolster those areas if nothing else.

Fair point - look, Ratten didn't do a heap wrong and I'm not convinced Malthouse is the answer. But what I will say is he is a better option for Carlton at this point in time. Not many were lauding Ratten's tactical match day nous, and I'm confident MM is a fair upgarde in the areas mentioned above and will be able to get the list playing at their best more consistently. Whether thats worth what we're paying him or is good enough for a flag... who knows.
Don't get me wrong I don't for a minute deride Mick's achievement's and if anyone available in the coaching ranks can build a balanced and competitive unit out of your apparently disjointed playing list it's Mick, certainly he knows how to engender fierce loyalty to himself and his plan. The biggest question mark to me is - is he capable of seeing that plan through now.

It's clear his favoured boundary line play plan has seen its day and he needs to come up with some new tweaks at least, then he has to find the players capable of implementing his ideas, forgive me if I say at times half your list appears disinterested in proceedings, but so it appears from the outside.

I would expect there to be a bit of weeding done and the most noxious tossed over the fence. Those that can't or won't buy into the plan will be forced to leave and those that are wishy-washy about it will be in for a helluva shock. Which of course is how it must be. There remains the time factor, quite apart from Micks age - which isn't necessarily a barrier - it's the time taken to totally re jig the game plan, weed out the dead wood and find the replacement soldiers necessary to make a charge at the flag.

I'm sure there will be many frustrated and angry Blues supporters before the end and no guarantee of ultimate success in MM's tenure.

Mick Malthouse>Nathan Buckley as a coach. You still bitter OP?

Yes, I'm quite sure an Adelaide supporter is bitter about Collingwood trading out Malthouse for Buckley. That makes sense.

Give me endless summer
Lord I fear the cold
Feel I'm getting old
Before my time

As my soul heals the shame
I will grow through this pain
Lord I'm doing all I can
To be a bitter man

You seemed to have forgotten about Luke Ball and Darren Jolley. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they play substantial parts in your 2010 flag?

Open the other eye mate.

I can seel clear as day.

Jolly and Ball fell into his lap of sorts.

Once he realised there was expiration date on his career, he finally decided to do something about it.

Jolly wanted to return home, despite being contracted. With no genuine ruck option on the list for 10 years, it was a no brainer that he be active for one of this quality.

Luke Ball was out of favour at the Saints. For years Mick persisted with guys like O'Bree and never addressed a glaring deficiency on the list. Enter Luke Ball's sudden availability, coupled with Mick's clock ticking down and he got him.

Who knows, maybe in about 10 years time he may be able to pull off a few masterstrokes like these again.

nate dogg will never be a malthouse. i mean there's a reason why people use the terms "a malthouse" "a sheedy"
A bit to early to say never, Malthouse was and will most likely still be a great coach. Bucks has been doing the gig for a year, reflect after 10 or 20 years in the coaching game, not just one.

If the Blues wanted a good game day type coach then I reckon Rodney Eade should have been the man. I thought he did a great job of move/counter move & tactics with both the Swans & Bulldogs. I take an interest in what he does since he is a Taswegian:D I've always thought he did well in developing & managing his teams. The Bulldogs just couldnt go to the next level but got the most out of themselves. IMO

We know for the next 5 years at least that we won't have to worry about Carlton or Collingwood challenging for a p'ship because both clubs have too many sub agendas in place from too many people with big egos

We should all sit back & be entertained. Sure they'll win some big games but no chance of winning a P'ship unless these 'personalities' can shut up.

We know for the next 5 years at least that we won't have to worry about Carlton or Collingwood challenging for a p'ship because both clubs have too many sub agendas in place from too many people with big egos

We should all sit back & be entertained. Sure they'll win some big games but no chance of winning a P'ship unless these 'personalities' can shut up.
Dream on. . . .

How can you draw that conclusion?

PF or not, Collingwood went backwards this year. 4 wins only by over 5 goals against the 4 of the crappiest sides, GWS, GC, Melbourne, Brisbane, average losing margin of 40 pts, very average in the finals. Fortunately the run-on after round 3 kept the Pies in the top 4. Up to the last round you weren't even in the top 4.

Compare that to the previous two years then you work it out Einstein.

We have the main act, you have the understudy. Thanks Ed!

Was asked on 10 about the Q Lynch deal and said he would be staggered if Collingwood wont have to move on one of their star players.

2 questions. Is it appropriate for another league coach to comment on list management decisions at another club? Is he still bitter at being forced out of the door at Collingwood and has been forced to define his first few months at Carlton commenting about Collingwood?

If I were a Carlton supporter I'd be worried if his heart is entirely in it for the right motivations.

If it's good enough for the president to carry on wanting to go through our books, sit down with Adrian Anderson one-on-one to go through Judd's deal, all over us looking to get Cloke, then it's good enough for Malthouse to return fire.

Guessing a couple of Pies are looking like moving. No real Dawes fan but looks like the Pies have swapped a 25yo for a 30yo looking for a final pay cheque. Let's hope it digs in to the fabric of their club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick still bitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back