Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The clubs recruiting has been poor for a long time and it looks like it's continued. Continue to ignore needs and the best available talent for weird smoky picks.

Clarke is out the door so he's not the only one to blame
Lol taking arguably the best state league KPD in the country a weird smoky pick ya reckon?

Taking a KPF ignoring needs you say?

A tad confused. So we didn’t take players we rated highest as many of the better players nominated 18 months and we didn’t want to take that risk?

There’s a few who have talent that asked for 6 months. Argument sake, let’s say it’s Joe Pike. Developing ruck. Comes into our VFL list and does all the training and improves in that six months, showing all our coaches enough to say he will develop into a player. We have him, for free. No need to scramble in the other drafts. Conversely, he doesn’t train well, doesn’t improve, doesn’t understand the game plan, has poor attitude etc, we delist him and maintain set amount of picks.

I’m a bit perplexed.
Only thing I can think of is we need X amount of list spots in order to actually use the future (now current) picks we traded for. These are the picks we currently have (and let's say for argument's sake that we lose Baker and Graham for 12 and 23):

2, 12, 22, 23, 30, 40, 41, 48, 58, 68, 72

I'd say we'd be wanting 8 'live' list spots MINIMUM, and 9 in an ideal world. Even if we had 9 list spots, we instantly lose 68 and 72 (not that they have much value, even in points)

2, 12, 22, 23, 30, 40, 41, 48, 58

Maybe we assume someone like Pike will be there in the later part of the draft this year, and we'll be able to pick him anyway with a late pick once we do our trades to move up the order (targeting Brisbane and GC)

If we could trade 30, 40, 41, 48 to Brisbane for 6, we're golden.

2, 6, 12, 22, 23, 30, 58

That's not a terrible draft hand.

In a complete pipe dream, we get pick 20 for Short and 58 as well, and it becomes an even bigger need to have open list spots for the picks we have coming in.

Imagine having 7 picks inside the top 30 in the first year of a rebuild, or having the option of trading up the 'later' picks and then just upgrading some of our current rookies with some token 0 draft point picks we get in return?

talent looked very thin overall I thought, and don’t think there was too much enthusiasm from clubs.

Time will tell, but don’t think there’ll be many success stories from this lot.

Only thing I can think of is we need X amount of list spots in order to actually use the future (now current) picks we traded for. These are the picks we currently have (and let's say for argument's sake that we lose Baker and Graham for 12 and 23):

I'd say we'd be wanting 8 'live' list spots MINIMUM, and 9 in an ideal world. Even if we had 9 list spots, we instantly lose 68 and 72 (not that they have much value, even in points)

Maybe we assume someone like Pike will be there in the later part of the draft this year, and we'll be able to pick him anyway with a late pick once we do our trades to move up the order (targeting Brisbane and GC)

2, 6, 12, 22, 23, 30, 58

In a complete pipe dream, we get pick 20 for Short and 58 as well, and it becomes an even bigger need to have open list spots for the picks we have coming in.

Imagine having 7 picks inside the top 30 in the first year of a rebuild, or having the option of trading up the 'later' picks and then just upgrading some of our current rookies with some token 0 draft point picks we get in return?
Why would Brisbane do that trade? They're better off keeping 6 and getting the discount and the pick they get in return as "change" would leave them in a better position.

Brisbane would need to get something back next year.

Clubs aren't going to hand us first round picks for free - it's more nuanced than that.

The Bulldogs gave up a future first to get Gold Coast first pick last year - now I'm not saying we'll do that but we will definitely give up something of value.

A tad confused. So we didn’t take players we rated highest as many of the better players nominated 18 months and we didn’t want to take that risk?

There’s a few who have talent that asked for 6 months. Argument sake, let’s say it’s Joe Pike. Developing ruck. Comes into our VFL list and does all the training and improves in that six months, showing all our coaches enough to say he will develop into a player. We have him, for free. No need to scramble in the other drafts. Conversely, he doesn’t train well, doesn’t improve, doesn’t understand the game plan, has poor attitude etc, we delist him and maintain set amount of picks.

I’m a bit perplexed.

It makes sense to me.

MSD selections go on the rookie list. The rookie list has a maximum of six spots which are filled (Campbell, LeFau, Miller, Tresize, Bauer and Coulthard). The three players moved to the long term injury list open up three primary spots which are filled by three promoted rookies; which in turn opens up the three spots available to be used in the MSD.

However, once the season is done, those players on the LTIL return to the primary list and those rookies temporarily promoted return to the rookie list.

Thus if at the end of six months we want to keep Blight and Gray (which we would) you’d have eight players on the rookie list. If we took three players it would be nine players. Meaning two (or three) would have to be promoted or delisted. If promoted, it reduces the list spots available in the National Draft, a far more success avenue of bringing in long talent into your injury list. I think they 18 month think might be taken in this context in that it makes it a little more inflexible with managing your rookie and primary list (although admittedly wouldn’t think it too difficult to work around).

The club also has a tendency to keep a list spot open for an SSP selection and train on player (my hope would be Sam Davidson and/or Archie May get the invite for that); and whilst it’s not say you can’t create a list spot, the SSP likewise goes on the rookie list which means if the club want to explore that option they again need to promote or delist another player which (again) if promoted would see the reduction of a selection in the National Draft.

The additional elements mentioning are that the club wouldn’t take a player that it has concerns won’t be a long term prospect for the club. Second, my guess is that there were a group of players that the club would have used the third pick on should they have been available but they simply weren’t.

The issue with taking too many selections in the MSD is that if you want to keep guys around; it could well minimize your chance at bringing in better talent (less list spots) through the national draft.

Last edited:
Why would Brisbane do that trade? They're better off keeping 6 and getting the discount and the pick they get in return as "change" would leave them in a better position.

Brisbane would need to get something back next year.

Clubs aren't going to hand us first round picks for free - it's more nuanced than that.

The Bulldogs gave up a future first to get Gold Coast first pick last year - now I'm not saying we'll do that but we will definitely give up something of value.
Because we'll bid on Ashcroft at 2 if they don't do it.

They are not better off keeping 6. It will go away completely.

We now have 13 players on the list 190cm + who play their best football as a Key Back and/or intercepting Backman

At the other end of the ground we have Fawcett, Lynch and Lefau who have managed a total of 12 games between them this year and we are 1-10 because we can't kick a winning score.

it doesnt even make sense GIF by Slice
All I retained from your post was “doesn’t even”

We now have 13 players on the list 190cm + who play their best football as a Key Back and/or intercepting Backman

At the other end of the ground we have Fawcett, Lynch and Lefau who have managed a total of 12 games between them this year and we are 1-10 because we can't kick a winning score.

it doesnt even make sense GIF by Slice
I'd suggest we're preparing for a list adjustment at seasons end so we're bringing in players who may replace those we currently have.

Add to that Yzes belief that Balta is better to the team as a KPF and it makes sense to draft the way we did last night.

Remember it was all about long term plans rather than short term fixes

Last edited:

2, 6, 12, 22, 23, 30, 58

Please refrain from making sense in this thread as it's clearly not needed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It makes sense to me.

MSD selections go on the rookie list. The rookie list has a maximum of six spots which are filled (Campbell, LeFau, Miller, Tresize, Bauer and Coulthard). The three players moved to the long term injury list open up three primary spots which are filled by three promoted rookies; which in turn opens up the three spots available to be used in the MSD.

However, once the season is done, those players on the LTIL return to the primary list and those rookies temporarily promoted return to the rookie list.

Thus if at the end of six months we want to keep Blight and Gray (which we would) you’d have eight players on the rookie list. If we took three players it would be nine players. Meaning two (or three) would have to be promoted or delisted. If promoted, it reduces the list spots available in the National Draft, a far more success avenue of bringing in long talent into your injury list. I think they 18 month think might be taken in this context in that it makes it a little more inflexible with managing your rookie and primary list (although admittedly wouldn’t think it too difficult to work around).

The club also has a tendency to keep a list spot open for an SSP selection and train on player (my hope would be Sam Davidson and/or Archie May get the invite for that); and whilst it’s not say you can’t create a list spot, the SSP likewise goes on the rookie list which means if the club want to explore that option they again need to promote or delist another player which (again) if promoted would see the reduction of a selection in the National Draft.

The additional elements mentioning are that the club wouldn’t take a player that it has concerns won’t be a long term prospect for the club. Second, my guess is that there were a group of players that the club would have used the third pick on should they have been available but they simply weren’t.

The issue with taking too many selections in the MSD is that if you want to keep guys around; it could well minimize your chance at bringing in better talent (less list spots) through the national draft.
You can have a maximum of 8 rookies as the senior list is a minimum of 36 and a maximum of 38 players.

As mentioned we're clearly planning on a bit of a adjustment to the list at seasons end and last night was the beginning of that by strengthening our KPP stocks.

I'm sold on Blight given what a couple of Freo supporters have said.
They feel he's AFL standard and would be getting a game for them if he was on their list. This means more to me than anything I'll pick up from a highlights package.
I didn't think KPD was our biggest need but it sounds like he was absolutely best available.

I'm also happy that we got a speculative KPF. A little surprised with the one we chose but I trust the club to be more onto it than any of us.

Given we will likely have 4-5 picks in the top 30 of the national draft, that is where we will find some top end midfielders.
Presuming we keep our 2 newest on our list we currently have -2 picks.
We are likely to retire Naismith, Grimes, Prestia at seasons end: gives us 1 pick
We will need to trade out players (likely 1 or 2): gives us 2-3 picks
Means at least 2 delistings to get us to 4-5 picks.

It's a harsh game, don't know who deserves delisting, but reckon guys like Cumberland, Coulthard & Green are relieved we didn't use our last pick which would make them 1 step closer to the chopping block.

Archie May, Davidson, speculative ruck - all will be available with late picks or rookie picks in the National draft if we are still interested.

You can have a maximum of 8 rookies as the senior list is a minimum of 36 and a maximum of 38 players.

As mentioned we're clearly planning on a bit of a adjustment to the list at seasons end and last night was the beginning of that by strengthening our KPP stocks.

Also Balta is a free agent next year, so, if:

A) he gets big offers, and
B) we have another shocking year, and
C) we decide to let him go as a free agent in return for say a top 4 pick

then entering the 2026 season the guys we took last night are entering their primes around 23-24 years of age, giving us another 2 possible replacements for Balta in our 2026 team.

This type of strategy could see us having the use of 3 top 5 picks over the next 2 off seasons, and probably another top 10 pick or thereabouts, without losing Rioli or Baker.

Not saying that is how it will or even should unfold, but the club might think it wants this sort of option available just in case things go a certain way. 3 x top 5 + another top 10 pick over the next 2 drafts should amount to bringing in some very serious talent, whether through the draft or via trades.

Hopefully those were blights worst highlights

Unless I was seeing things…..I saw shanked kick, being out marked….punching the ball out of his teammates hands
So you don't see some of his precision passing and long kicking and he doesn't shit the bed everytime he is challenged for the ball you'd rather look at just some minor errors even the best backman like May and even Lever make as well?

I can already see he's better than Young and Miller.

Last edited:

I stand corrected. I thought it was minimum between 4-6 but that must have changed in the last season or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back