Mike Sheehan's Top 10 Indigenous Players of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do so many people think Stephen Michael was so great? He was good at WAFL level but once he joined The Dockers he just seemed like a standard AFL ruckmen not really that great ?

image.jpg

I would put more stock into a list compiled by Sheedy or Mal Brown. I wouldn't think there would be anyone more knowledgeable about Indigenous footballers than those two. They have forgotten more about that subject than Mike would ever hope to know.

I don't know if there is a South Australian equivalent to Sheedy and Brown in regards to the work done with Indigenous footballers. Happy to be enlightened.

I would put more stock into a list compiled by Sheedy or Mal Brown. I wouldn't think there would be anyone more knowledgeable about Indigenous footballers than those two. They have forgotten more about that subject than Mike would ever hope to know.

I don't know if there is a South Australian equivalent to Sheedy and Brown in regards to the work done with Indigenous footballers. Happy to be enlightened.

Despite the popular misconception, Sheedy didn't invent Indigenous footballers.

What is there to know? mike makes lists every year so he would probably have a fair idea on who he rates in which order. he then takes the first 10 aboriginal players on that list.

I can see Sheedy's list right now:

1. Wanganeen
2. Michael Long
3. Patty Ryder
4. Dean Rioli
5. Curtley Hampson
6. Leroy Jetta
7. Courtney Dempsey
8. Alwyn Davey
9. Zac Williams
10. Shaun Edwards

Ease up Tiger. My opinion is obviously different to yours. It's hardly a slight on Wanganeen that he might be considered the 7th or 8th best by some people who don't follow PA or Essendon. I simply don't think he was better than those players. Some will agree, some won't.

Opinions are opinions, just wondering why you would put Buddy and Rioli ahead of him?

First Indigenous player to win a Brownlow medal
First Indigenous player to reach 300 games
5 x All Australian
Essendon Team of the Century
2 x premiership player

What makes Buddy and Maurice Rioli better? Rioli only played 118 games.

Opinions are opinions, just wondering why you would put Buddy and Rioli ahead of him?

5 x All Australian
2 x premiership player

Rioli did play 121 games with South Fremantle, but agree with everything else you've stated.

5 x All Australian
2 x premiership player

Franklin is a 2 time premiership player and might get more. He could be in 2 teams of the centuries or none but they depend on where and when you are. He could play 300 games or play 250 it doesn't impact a career that much to me. Coleman instead of Brownlow. And not sure how many AA Bud is up to but should be 5 or so.

I missed the early years of Wanganeen and Port fans obviously have a high opinion of his time at Port but I wonder if that is influenced by how important a player he was more than how good he was.

Franklin is the second most talented player of this last ten years behind Ablett and just needs a few consistent years and/or a few big game finals performances to solidify his ranking. If his career ended tomorrow I'd keep him below the likes of Wanganeen, Matera and Goodes but he has a chance to go above some of those.

Franklin is a 2 time premiership player and might get more. He could be in 2 teams of the centuries or none but they depend on where and when you are. He could play 300 games or play 250 it doesn't impact a career that much to me. Coleman instead of Brownlow. And not sure how many AA Bud is up to but should be 5 or so.

I missed the early years of Wanganeen and Port fans obviously have a high opinion of his time at Port but I wonder if that is influenced by how important a player he was more than how good he was.

Franklin is the second most talented player of this last ten years behind Ablett and just needs a few consistent years and/or a few big game finals performances to solidify his ranking. If his career ended tomorrow I'd keep him below the likes of Wanganeen, Matera and Goodes but he has a chance to go above some of those.

As much as it pains to me to say this, because... Warren... but Buddy is the best key forward since Carey. He's ridiculously talented and I agree he could definitely surpass Wanganeen, hell he could surpass all of them.

But this list is ranking them now. Not "what they could end up". LeBron James could end up No. 2 behind Michael Jordan... but he isn't yet, so you don't say he's number two behind Jordan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Victorian's pontificating on Indigenous footballers:rolleyes:. Despite being the self described centre of the football universe, there ain't 1 indigenous Victorian on that list. Closest thing is Goodes who moved there as a teenager. If just about every West Australian I meet or speak to of a certain age say that Michael is not only the best Indigenous footballer they have ever seen, but the best Footballer they have ever seen, I have no reason to doubt them.
That's not particularly surprising, with relatively low numbers of indigenous people living in Victoria, & the lowest of all states/territories by proportion. Maybe Allen Christensen will be up there one day ;)

If Michael O'Loughlin is one of the 10 greatest Indigenous players of all-time then the dozens who played before my time mustn't have been very good.

I can see Sheedy's list right now:

1. Wanganeen
2. Michael Long
3. Patty Ryder
4. Dean Rioli
5. Curtley Hampson
6. Leroy Jetta
7. Courtney Dempsey
8. Alwyn Davey
9. Zac Williams
10. Shaun Edwards

No Willie Dick? What a knob Sheedy is...

First and only indigenous player to win a Coleman, also the first kick 100 goals in a season
Most goals of all time for an indigenous player
2 time premiership player/4 time all Australian/ 2 Colemans ~ unlucky not to have 3

This also doens't mention the influences he's had in big games or the freakish goals he pull's of every other week.

Rioli did play 121 games with South Fremantle, but agree with everything else you've stated.

I went to watch my beloved Bulldogs down at Freo Oval as a young kid whenever it was a home game as during the late '70s/early 80s.

Stephen Michael leaping high, before roving his own tap, then hand balling to Maurice Rioli who would dance out of the centre and send it long to the forward line is an indelible memory etched on my brain from childhood. That was beautiful footy.

I went to watch my beloved Bulldogs down at Freo Oval as a young kid whenever it was a home game as during the late '70s/early 80s.

Stephen Michael leaping high, before roving his own tap, then hand balling to Maurice Rioli who would dance out of the centre and send it long to the forward line is an indelible memory etched on my brain from childhood. That was beautiful footy.

I'm trying to remember who our forward was.... I can remember lumbering Joe McKay in the backline, who later became my parent's financial advisor.

5 x All Australian
2 x premiership player

Both Buddy and Rioli constantly through their careers would turn a match on its head. Waganeen was a top player but no where near as influental. Both are also big time players.

Rioli won 3 consecutive best on ground in a GF (2x Simpson medal 1980-81, Norm Smith 1982)

First to 300 games is a lie, yes he was the first to play 300 games in the VFL/AFL, but as most indigenous players played in the WAFL rather than the VFL, so not having someone reach the mark in the VFL/AFL until Wanganeen is not a surprise. For the record some Indingenous players to play 300 before Wanganeen

Bill Dempsey 343 games* - West Perth, WA 14
Polly Farmer 356 games (176 East Perth, 101 Geelong, 79 West Perth) WA 31, Vic 5
Barry Cable - 383 games (225 Perth, 115 North Melbourne, 43 West Perth) WA 20, Vic 1.
Nicky Winmar - 341 games (90 South Fremantle, 230 St Kidla, 21 Western Bulldogs) WA 8
Gavin Wanganeen - 324 (Port Adelaide Magpies 24, 127 Essendon, 173 Port Adelaide)

*Dempsey played senior footy in Darwin for 3 years before debuting for West Perth, he also used to play in Darwin most NT season as they played over the summer months.

My list
1. Polly Farmer
2. Barry Cable
3. Stephen Michael
4. Adam Goodes
5. Andrew Mcleod
6. Bill Dempsey
7. Nicky Winmar
8. Buddy Franklin
9. Maurice Rioli
10. Jimmy Krakeour

Both Buddy and Rioli constantly through their careers would turn a match on its head. Waganeen was a top player but no where near as influental. Both are also big time players.

Rioli won 3 consecutive best on ground in a GF (2x Simpson medal 1980-81, Norm Smith 1982)

First to 300 games is a lie, yes he was the first to play 300 games in the VFL/AFL, but as most indigenous players played in the WAFL rather than the VFL, so not having someone reach the mark in the VFL/AFL until Wanganeen is not a surprise. For the record some Indingenous players to play 300 before Wanganeen

Bill Dempsey 343 games* - West Perth, WA 14
Polly Farmer 356 games (176 East Perth, 101 Geelong, 79 West Perth) WA 31, Vic 5
Barry Cable - 383 games (225 Perth, 115 North Melbourne, 43 West Perth) WA 20, Vic 1.
Nicky Winmar - 341 games (90 South Fremantle, 230 St Kidla, 21 Western Bulldogs) WA 8
Gavin Wanganeen - 324 (Port Adelaide Magpies 24, 127 Essendon, 173 Port Adelaide)

*Dempsey played senior footy in Darwin for 3 years before debuting for West Perth, he also used to play in Darwin most NT season as they played over the summer months.

My list
1. Polly Farmer
2. Barry Cable
3. Stephen Michael
4. Adam Goodes
5. Andrew Mcleod
6. Bill Dempsey
7. Nicky Winmar
8. Buddy Franklin
9. Maurice Rioli
10. Jimmy Krakeour

Wanganeen wasn't a big time player? 4 goals in a Grand Final is a fair effort.

He was also definitely a big moment player, where even though he couldn't get into the game, he kicked the two most important goals (one being a ridiculous snap from the boundary) to get us over the line vs the Saints the week before.

He was All Australian in his second, third and fifth seasons, you don't often find that from someone who isn't predominantly a midfielder (hell, you don't often find that from ANY player).

He was the prototypical small utility - a back pocket where if you needed scoring, you could throw him forward. If you needed to start winning the midfield, you could throw him in there.

And it wasn't a lie - but I was counting VFL/AFL games only, sure. It is the highest level in the land and it is a huge accomplishment.

If you don't even have him in your top 10, nor Peter Matera, you've got a very interesting view on those two as players.

I'm trying to remember who our forward was.... I can remember lumbering Joe McKay in the backline, who later became my parent's financial advisor.
I'm not surprised you can't remember. The 1980 grand final include players like Wayne Delmenico, Deric Shaw, O'brien and Simon Outhwaite came on in the last quarter to kick 3 goals. A very young Brad Hardie came on in the 2nd quarter and kicked 3 goals. But seriously, have could you forget Basil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Sheehan's Top 10 Indigenous Players of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back