Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Hes panning the industry for million dollar payouts to Harvey, Willimas, Knights.

I agree with him

The AFL are gouging us over finals ticket prices and pissing it up against a wall.

And they pay bomber sqillions to walk around after Hirdy s******ing - achieving want more than in knights first year ?

The Williams payout is completely different to that of Knights and Harvey. Essendon and Fremantle are rich clubs that chased the best possible coaches (Lyon and the Essendon super panel).

Williams was replaced by somebody that looks in way over his head, while Essendon improved from 14th to 8th with almost an identical list. Bombers and Freo will look back as it money well spent.

Is the OP saying that the AFL paid out Knights' contract and is also paying Thompon's contract?

I don't get the link. :confused:

Hes panning the industry for million dollar payouts to Harvey, Willimas, Knights.

I agree with him

The AFL are gouging us over finals ticket prices and pissing it up against a wall.

And they pay bomber sqillions to walk around after Hirdy s******ing - achieving want more than in knights first year ?

It pains me to attempt to understand your logic and your English. Are you saying that the AFL is paying out the contracts of those coaches and therefore finals ticket prices have gone up? That's your logic?

And re Essendon, we finished 12th in Knight's first year with a percentage of 81.7%.

Hird took us to finals with a >50% win rate and a percentage of 100.0%.

Hird's 1st year has been better than any of the three years we had with Knights.

Essendon made a mistake appointing Knights. We compounded that by extending his contract. We corrected it by sacking him. As evidenced by the coaching announcements this week, you should not be a candidate if you have never had success as a player or (assistant) coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'll take a punt on the OP logic.

the AFL raises a large amount (not all) of the money the clubs use to fund everything from salary cap to player development, and coaches. he's arguing that clubs are somethimes using those funds to payout outrageous contracts terminated early, thru impatience etc. hence they are lost to what would have been their intended purpose - to improve the club.

what the OP, and garry lyon, failed to understand is that 'generally' these payouts are coming from the more wealthy clubs is a bid to appease the members & sponsors that are pouring millions into the clubs and demanding success, or action if success isnt forthcoming. failure to respond will see those members & sponsors walking away. hence its more beneficial to them to fix the problem as quick as they can, rather than do what the poorer club 'tend' to do and effectively see out the contract to avoid raiding the petty cash tin to essentially pay two coaches at once.

garrys soap box.

I'm not sure about the other clubs' standings; but certainly Essendon's money is Essendon's money and Essendon's to do what they like with.

I have a bit of an issue with other clubs' spending, when they are a money sink year on year on year. What is the accountability for that money? Why, after almost a decade of financial problems & pigheadedness, are Port (for eg) getting money with no repercussions? How are Carlton able to, on one hand, have sponsors pay a player over & above the cap when they, supposedly, need 'compensation' and have $6M debts?

Any money legitimately earned by a club is theirs to do whatever they want with.

I would be putting some serious strings on this 'compensation' handout.

As Eddie would say, the AFL can't tell him how to spend Collingwood's money. The AFL's money on the other hand....

One of the eternal problems of unconditional underwriting is a lack of accountability for poor management. Why wouldn't you payout someone and try again regardless of resources in order to be voted back in by members who want a board to DO SOMETHING when you know that of you run out of money you can get some more from mum & dad.

I am all for increasing the dividend to the clubs but underwriting is idiotic.

what the OP, and garry lyon, failed to understand is that 'generally' these payouts are coming from the more wealthy clubs is a bid to appease the members & sponsors that are pouring millions into the clubs and demanding success, or action if success isnt forthcoming.
Very generous of you. I'm sure Garry understands quite well, that this is, yet again, a case where some clubs have more power, pull, and sway than others.

I'm not sure about the other clubs' standings; but certainly Essendon's money is Essendon's money and Essendon's to do what they like with.

I have a bit of an issue with other clubs' spending, when they are a money sink year on year on year. What is the accountability for that money? Why, after almost a decade of financial problems & pigheadedness, are Port (for eg) getting money with no repercussions? How are Carlton able to, on one hand, have sponsors pay a player over & above the cap when they, supposedly, need 'compensation' and have $6M debts?

Any money legitimately earned by a club is theirs to do whatever they want with.

I would be putting some serious strings on this 'compensation' handout.

So essendon are not putting their hand out for new facilities at the airport ?

So essendon are not putting their hand out for new facilities at the airport ?
Correct - but now we're talking facilities, and that's a whole new kettle of fish.

The issue is accountability.
For clubs who (over a long period) struggled to make the books balance, why are we throwing more & more money hoping that will make the problem go away?

i'll take a punt on the OP logic.

the AFL raises a large amount (not all) of the money the clubs use to fund everything from salary cap to player development, and coaches. he's arguing that clubs are somethimes using those funds to payout outrageous contracts terminated early, thru impatience etc. hence they are lost to what would have been their intended purpose - to improve the club.

what the OP, and garry lyon, failed to understand is that 'generally' these payouts are coming from the more wealthy clubs is a bid to appease the members & sponsors that are pouring millions into the clubs and demanding success, or action if success isnt forthcoming. failure to respond will see those members & sponsors walking away. hence its more beneficial to them to fix the problem as quick as they can, rather than do what the poorer club 'tend' to do and effectively see out the contract to avoid raiding the petty cash tin to essentially pay two coaches at once.

garrys soap box.

excuse me from looking at the AFL holistically and seeing each year there are more and more hangers on, more and more pay outs etc etc.

I'm not so fanciful to see that such as the new TV rights comas at a cost, and at the end of the day, you and I are paying for it

if you dont think that is correct you are all in fantasy land

Just look at the cost of finals tickets - standard is the last few rows on the top deck of "The peoples ground" - thats just one example - the 'cheap options' are dissapearing, token or non existent

Remove this Banner Ad

Million dollard here, anothe million dollars there - G Lyon is right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back