Roast Missing finals after a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m generally a pretty optimistic supporter. But this year really was a shit sandwich. Sure, we had injuries, but almost every player on the list either didn’t improve, or went backwards.

On the eve of finals, the disappointment of a wasted year is profound. What a boring September ahead!

I really hope this burns for the players and decision makers of our club.

Not good enough.

Did better then what Geelong Did last season as Defending Premiers
That shouldn’t be a measure of our season. We need to take a look in the mirror and get better next year.

It stings, it always stings not to play finals, I think the last month was encouraging, just hoping the boys have a ripping off season and come back with the hunger and desire to climb the mountain again.

I have faith. 😁
Port and Cats tomorrow night.
Man, what a crap game.
We should have been there.

That shouldn’t be a measure of our season. We need to take a look in the mirror and get better next year.

I think the coaches had a bad year. Whatever changes we did over summer didn't work - first 3 games down.

After the bye teams worked out we were giving easy chip passes and backpedalling too hard meaning they could just chip it forward without risk against us. We took too long to adjust - 3 more games down.

Our end game nil all draw to hold a lead tactics didn't hold - 2 draws and the Sydney game down - lucky not to be a couple more. That should have been adjusted.

Coaches did well to ride through the mid year injuries. And we were playing well enough to be competitive in finals by the end.

But we'd lost too many games along the way to be there. ****ing frustrating year.

I think the coaches had a bad year. Whatever changes we did over summer didn't work - first 3 games down.

After the bye teams worked out we were giving easy chip passes and backpedalling too hard meaning they could just chip it forward without risk against us. We took too long to adjust - 3 more games down.

Our end game nil all draw to hold a lead tactics didn't hold - 2 draws and the Sydney game down - lucky not to be a couple more. That should have been adjusted.

Coaches did well to ride through the mid year injuries. And we were playing well enough to be competitive in finals by the end.

But we'd lost too many games along the way to be there. ****ing frustrating year.
Absolutely. Poor from the coaching team.
If we go into next year thinking we are near the mark, we will get a worse result.

Hard to believe we could be in this position in only 12 months.

Good thing to start with Better Off-Field then last years Pre-Season

Injuries to KEY players is different to just "injuries" remember we didn't have our FF or our FB for almost the entire year then lost Checkers, Billy, JDG, Cox, (seriously key pieces) for large chunks of the year. The draw did us no favours and I was amazed when we were in the eight three quarters of the way through it. You knew after the Freo result (thanks ump) that the remaining games were all 8 pointers and in the end the players (half of them debutants) couldn't sustain the rage.

You can claim we were worked out, but that's not hard when your forward line consists of Kreuger and WHE as the key forwards. Look at how impotent the Blues look without Charlie and Harry.

To miss finals by half a game or % is always tough and I'm pretty sure with some of the structural pieces back by then, if we'd made it NO team would have wanted to face us (Mitch could claim his Hawks would love it but FINALS are a different kettle of fish)

I reckon with a little luck 2025 might be a nice rebound. We're certainly not done yet.

We missed the finals on percentage, had the shortest off-season in the history of the known universe, had both McStay & Checkers as well as Cox out of the side for an extended period, lost Murphy before the start of the season, Mitchell didn't play after ANZAC Day & De Goey missed half of the season.

Its probably a blessing in disguise we didn't scrape into the eight, we can now have a good long break & re-load for next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been a bitterly disappointing year for us, there's no getting past that. We had a few things go against us, but I feel we still should have done better with the talent we had available. We certainly had enough going for us, if we got things right, to have done some damage come September. Hopefully this wasted year will see our players really strive to make amends next year.

While it's not much consolation, I think it is quite pertinent that three of the last four premiers have failed to qualify for finals the following year (Richmond in 2021, Geelong 2023, Collingwood 2024). Melbourne (2022) did at least play finals, but suffered an embarrassing "straight sets" exit, and haven't won a final since 2021's triumph. Clearly, the competition is so close and unpredictable that even when you are the best, if you drop your standards just a bit you'll be overtaken. It's a very tough competition!

It doesn’t bother me at all.
(1) i’m still basking in the warm afterglow of 2022 and 2023. If you can’t make the positive vibes from a magnificent era like that, and then a premiership, last more than a few months you have missed the point.
(2) I recognise that 2023 wasn’t representative of our quality and think we will bounce back.
(3) The cards were stacked against us — see Robroy’s characteristically excellent post above.
(4) Yes, we made some mistakes. We wouldn’t be a football club if we didn’t. We will learn from that.

Whilst I acknowledge the bad luck with injuries and some decisions, one thing stands out to me this year…

The “we only have to qualify” message throughout the season. It was a mindset shift.

Last year it was the top of the steps or top of the ladder. To be the best all season.

I just feel in a season so close small things like this made a difference. Theres an arrogance about we will just qualify then beat everyone. It may have been the difference in finishing off games when we were ahead. Then the message changed “it’s hard to hold on to leads in the last quarter”

I love Fly and the coaching panel. I wouldn’t want anyone else but ffs 2025 be the best you can be, every flipping week, no more “we will be back Monday and improve”

Just win. Go Pies 2025

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Whilst I acknowledge the bad luck with injuries and some decisions, one thing stands out to me this year…

The “we only have to qualify” message throughout the season. It was a mindset shift.

Last year it was the top of the steps or top of the ladder. To be the best all season.

I just feel in a season so close small things like this made a difference. Theres an arrogance about we will just qualify then beat everyone. It may have been the difference in finishing off games when we were ahead. Then the message changed “it’s hard to hold on to leads in the last quarter”

I love Fly and the coaching panel. I wouldn’t want anyone else but ffs 2025 be the best you can be, every flipping week, no more “we will be back Monday and improve”

Just win. Go Pies 2025

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He talked about that all through 2023. Step 1 qualify. Step 2 qualify in as good a position as you can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Missing finals after a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back