Roast Missing finals after a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Young players didn't step up, old players got older.

Other teams have much better youth that us, we will continue to slide in 2025 without a big offseason

The off season is interesting because we partly blamed the short pre season for early losses.

Hopefully everyone gets a refresh and a game plan to stop uncontested ball walking through us is implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

we simply don't score easily enough, that's why we are always in these close games, sooner or later those 1 goal margins are not going to go our way, as they didn't this year
we play an exciting style of football, but it hardly ever reflects on the scoreboard

mcStay having a full season with Mihocek helping him will improve that. but to have a genuine key forward to kick long to needs to be a priority, will improve us 5-10%

we are clearly in the top 2-3 sides in the comp, but we let our season slip away as soon as we had to rely on other results. injuries didn't help, but despite all that, it has been a wasted year

Seemed more prevalent this year. Maybe it was because we were winning 2023.

Seemed humble in 2023 - as we were always going to qualify from 9-1 or whatever we were. But I get why you viewed it as arrogant this year - not sure if it was though. I think it's more about trying to have them not look too far ahead.

The period after the bye is what cost us. losing to Suns, Bombers and Cats by a couple of goals each game...sigh.

Plenty of teams have their what ifs, which highlight just how close a season it was.

Only losing 9 games, that would normally get you in finals.

Many a good team has had a downer after a flag year, strong clubs come back hard, others fall away.

2025 will be a big season.

What rubbish, get over it
It doesn’t bother me at all.
(1) i’m still basking in the warm afterglow of 2022 and 2023. If you can’t make the positive vibes from a magnificent era like that, and then a premiership, last more than a few months you have missed the point.
(2) I recognise that 2023 wasn’t representative of our quality and think we will bounce back.
(3) The cards were stacked against us — see Robroy’s characteristically excellent post above.
(4) Yes, we made some mistakes. We wouldn’t be a football club if we didn’t. We will learn from that.
I think it's totally understandable that (most) people are so disappointed with how this season panned out. We have the talent on-field and off-field to have gone a long way again, and for one reason or another it just didn't happen. It has to be seen as a wasted year, and given that we have so many old players among our stars we can't really afford wasted years.

Despite the disappointment I feel from 2024, I've had a "whale of a time" in the McRae era, and my love for the club and enthusiasm for the game haven't diminished even slightly! I'll be following the finals series very keenly (though I'm sure plenty of Pies fans won't bother), looking forward to the trade and draft period, and can't wait for next season to start. I think we might have one more big year in us, but we'll need to do most things right (and maybe have a bit more luck) to be a serious challenger again in 2025.

Angry Michael C Hall GIF

I expected the beginning to be tough. The bigger disappointment were the 3 losses after the mid-season break. That's where we should have come together and made a commitment to impact on the 2nd half of the year and go back to back. Players going to Bali or staying on the GC after the loss to go to a water park shows you we weren't as committed or invested as 2023. Hopefully, it burns in their guts, watching teams putting up efforts like Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me the hardest thing to take is you are only in a Premiership window for so long and it only comes around ever now and then. We are blessed that we are up there pretty much more than anyone else. In 2022 we got screwed by the umpires vs Geelong and then again against Sydney in the prelim. 2024 we faced almost every hardship a team can face from a short start to injuries to key players including all our 2022/2023 inside midfielders basically missing 90%. The coaches struggled with match day selections among other things and yet we miss out on defending our Premiership on percentage. Make no mistake we shot ourselves in the foot this year but the umpires shot us in the other foot. We were almost good enough to hop on one leg into finals and could have even snuck into top 4 while doing it. I just hope after 2 strenuous seasons the extra break will help us go again and the coaches learnt more about our list and tactics then they ever could if we were doing great. The Bobby Hill and Jamie Elliot's marks along with Nick Daicos are the only positives for the year for me.

I would like to know two things.

1. Why were we not ready for Round 0, Round 1 & Round 2? Still had 5 1/2 months to prepare after the GF.
2. Why were we not ready to return after the mid-season bye. Lost 4 games in a row from nowhere against teams we should have beaten.

These two blocks of games cost us our season. I want to know what caused these performance lapses but I know the club would never reveal it publicly. We only lost 2 other games all year (Dogs & Swans) and should have beaten the Swans for sure. Both lapses occured after a break but the post-bye lapse was fatal and shouldn't have happened.

Of course injuries will be used to explain the post-bye lapse and yes this played a role but again we should not have allowed a 4 game losing streak to manifest. A line in the sand should have been drawn after losing to the Dons, maybe after the Suns shambles. I thought we played many games with an attitude of "she'll be right mate, we'll win the game eventually", waiting for the win to happen rather than making it happen.

A season wasted for sure. I think if we grabbed 8th and went up to Brissy we could have caused an upset but let's face it, with no JDG & Checkers we would have been pushing shit uphill to progress further.

Last edited:
It all started when Wright wanted out. Fly definitely missed him this year and giving Leppa and Bolts extra duties didn’t help.

I liked what Fly said after our season was done - learnt a lot on the field and off the field.

I’m confident we will be back in it next year with a more settled side and coaching staff.

For me, I really don’t understand why there would be angst.

There have been many highlights from the season …

• Darcy Cameron has gone from strength to strength
  • Nick Daicos has cemented his spot as a gun of the competition
  • Beating unbackable Premiership favourites Carlton. Twice. And receiving gracious acknowledgement from their modest and humble supporter base that Collingwood are in fact the superior team. Again. As has been the case for the vast majority of the last two decades.
  • Beating Brisbane again. And again.
  • Jamie and Bobby’s MOTY nominations.
  • Nick’s GOTY nominations.
  • A wonderful celebration of Pendlebury getting to 400 games. With more to come.
  • A breakout year for Harrison (shame about the ACL, but we got good confidence that he’ll be a solid citizen when he comes back)
  • A breakout year from Richards. Where did that come from? One minute I’m reading from track watchers that he is so useless that he can’t be taken seriously, and the next he’s looking comfy at senior level. Hope he stays.
  • Great round 23 game from Ed Allan … really looking forward to watching him play in 2025.
  • Good signs from Parker - hasn’t even had a pre-season and yet he looks like he belongs on a footy field.

Premierships are hard to win. More so than any other era with there now being 17 other teams trying to do the same thing. Doubly so for Collingwood who carry as much burden of expectation as any club.

We did really well to blag one in 2023, and were probably helped along by a bit of luck.

But what goes around comes around, and our luck flipped this year. 52 points would get most teams into finals, even these days in a 23 game season.

It’s all about meeting expectations, and as a long term Collingwood supporter I’ve learnt to never have any expectations of the achievements of my footy team. Least of all expecting a Premiership. And forget about dynasties.

It means I can take joy in the wins and not be too fussed about the losses.

we simply don't score easily enough, that's why we are always in these close games, sooner or later those 1 goal margins are not going to go our way, as they didn't this year
we play an exciting style of football, but it hardly ever reflects on the scoreboard
I also think we allowed teams to score easily against us when we led by 4-5 goals. EG Hathron (1st game) Sydney, Carlton, WB, Freo, Adelaide all resulted in a single digit margin or draw.

Teams like Geelong don't defend 4 -5 goal leads, they put the foot on the throat and do net let up.

For me, I really don’t understand why there would be angst.

There have been many highlights from the season …

• Darcy Cameron has gone from strength to strength
  • Nick Daicos has cemented his spot as a gun of the competition
  • Beating unbackable Premiership favourites Carlton. Twice. And receiving gracious acknowledgement from their modest and humble supporter base that Collingwood are in fact the superior team. Again. As has been the case for the vast majority of the last two decades.
  • Beating Brisbane again. And again.
  • Jamie and Bobby’s MOTY nominations.
  • Nick’s GOTY nominations.
  • A wonderful celebration of Pendlebury getting to 400 games. With more to come.
  • A breakout year for Harrison (shame about the ACL, but we got good confidence that he’ll be a solid citizen when he comes back)
  • A breakout year from Richards. Where did that come from? One minute I’m reading from track watchers that he is so useless that he can’t be taken seriously, and the next he’s looking comfy at senior level. Hope he stays.
  • Great round 23 game from Ed Allan … really looking forward to watching him play in 2025.
  • Good signs from Parker - hasn’t even had a pre-season and yet he looks like he belongs on a footy field.

Premierships are hard to win. More so than any other era with there now being 17 other teams trying to do the same thing. Doubly so for Collingwood who carry as much burden of expectation as any club.

We did really well to blag one in 2023, and were probably helped along by a bit of luck.

But what goes around comes around, and our luck flipped this year. 52 points would get most teams into finals, even these days in a 23 game season.

It’s all about meeting expectations, and as a long term Collingwood supporter I’ve learnt to never have any expectations of the achievements of my footy team. Least of all expecting a Premiership. And forget about dynasties.

It means I can take joy in the wins and not be too fussed about the losses.
Absolutely there were highlights. But we gave up the opportunity to defend our flag.
It’s disappointing.

Too many players played like they were pretty self-satisfied.

Effort and intensity were either well down or inconsistent within games.

Coaches are responsible for getting the players ready to put in the effort. They failed.

Game plan was also far too rigid and we parked the bus way too early multiple times with leads.

Injuries were a blessing because we finally saw some younger players get game time. Found 2-3 good ones.

Too many players played like they were pretty self-satisfied.

Effort and intensity were either well down or inconsistent within games.

Coaches are responsible for getting the players ready to put in the effort. They failed.

Game plan was also far too rigid and we parked the bus way too early multiple times with leads.

Injuries were a blessing because we finally saw some younger players get game time. Found 2-3 good ones.
Nope. We play a taxing style game.
We had a down year because of this reason. Also injuries.
We should lift next season.
Seen this happen multiple times in AFL and Premier League.

Finals are just so….bleh, when we’re not in them. And the mix of sides in it, horrid.

Hoping we have a massive preseason and the hunger that was back late in the season, only grows and we have a massive 2025 before we have about 5 players retire!

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Missing finals after a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back