Roast Missing finals after a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

We came home with a wet sail. Teams who lack motivation don't finish a season playing with passion and energy.
Agree that we came home motivated. Much of the season was lacking it though. Once finals were starting to slip from our grasp, I think the hunger returned.

Now I expect massive hunger for next season

I’m generally a pretty optimistic supporter. But this year really was a shit sandwich. Sure, we had injuries, but almost every player on the list either didn’t improve, or went backwards.

On the eve of finals, the disappointment of a wasted year is profound. What a boring September ahead!

I really hope this burns for the players and decision makers of our club.

Not good enough.
Ditch the s**tstain Round Zero
concept. AFL beancounters drug induced idiocy.
Round 1 should always feature a GF replay.
Both sides have equal prep.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We came home with a wet sail. Teams who lack motivation don't finish a season playing with passion and energy.
No I mean we started our defence of the flag lacking our intensity & pressure. We came home with a wet sail when they thought things were looking precarious. The game against North was horrible in the first half. Players turned up & that’s it. Compared to 2022 & 2023 we lacked hunger & urgency for most of the year. Geelong seem to have the same issues after winning flags. Backing it up is tough to do. I think we will rebound next year as they did.

Absolutely there were highlights. But we gave up the opportunity to defend our flag.
It’s disappointing.

We did get an opportunity to defend our flag, we had 23 H&A games? Unfortunately we just weren’t good enough this year to make finals.

We came home with a wet sail? We won 5 of our last 6 games, and only lost the 6th one to the ladder leaders in the last 10 minutes.

We did get an opportunity to defend our flag, we had 23 H&A games? Unfortunately we just weren’t good enough this year to make finals.
I think you know I meant the opportunity to make finals and defend our flag.

Last edited:
The injuries and draw killed us.. not to mention the umps in 2-3 games

Re: Umps

Umps make a kazillion missed calls, wrong calls, 50:50 calls every single game.

Win, and we conveniently overlook them.

Lose, and they stick out like dogs bollocks.

They all average out over a game and a season.

There were a kazillion reasons within our control that let us down (and we can fix) without having to blame the umps.

Re: Draw

Teams we played twice:

Swans - they barely scraped into the 8 in 2023 and nobody predicted they’d have a dominating season. That’s just bad luck for us, not really the fault of the draw. We lost both games but the second one was very winnable.

Brisbane - tough opponent, but we won both of those games so we can’t blame that.

Carlton - Premiership favourites, so they’re tough games, but again we won both of those so we can’t blame that.

Melbourne - expected to be tough games but we dominated both convincingly, so we can’t blame that.

Essendon - drew one, lost one. That’s just our own dang fault that we couldn’t beat the team that finished 11th.

Hawthorn - basket case in 2023 and it’s just bad luck they started dominating out of nowhere. Won 1 lost 1

Our record against the double up teams in 2024 was: 7 wins, 4 losses, 1 draw.

Seems our draw wasn’t that bad?

Last edited:
Not sure why we need another rehash of why we missed finals and I think it’s entirely ungenerous to say that it was attitude related or the bad start.

We didn’t make it in a close season and that’s that. Two draws, and a bad form spell after the bye, exacerbated by injury and a tough draw in an even season just meant we missed out.

The ladder in a tight season was largely dictated by who played the crap teams twice. The only “ bottom six” side we drew twice was Hawthorn ! The other five sides we played twice this year played finals in 2023, and of them only melbourne went backwards.

By comparison Carlton played both north and Richmond twice. Brisbane played the Suns and Saints twice. Hawthorn who admittedly are justified with a better draw regardless benefitted from playing Adelaide north and Richmond twice. Geelong played Adelaide, North Melbourne anD StKilda twice.

This minor differences in the draw make a big difference in a tight season.

As we saw yesterday teams like Carlton that are not worthy end up making finals because of it, as they can get away with lots of easy wins without really having to achieve much against good sides. They only won four games all year against top nine opponents and still fell into the eight.

Last edited:
Agree that we came home motivated. Much of the season was lacking it though. Once finals were starting to slip from our grasp, I think the hunger returned.

Now I expect massive hunger for next season
Hunger (effort/intensity) will be the difference.

Such an incredibly wasted opportunity to have it drop off so much that we missed the eight in such an open year.

We came home with a wet sail? We won 5 of our last 6 games, and only lost the 6th one to the ladder leaders in the last 10 minutes.
The expression means we finished the season strongly.

Re: Umps

Umps make a kazillion missed calls, wrong calls, 50:50 calls every single game.

Win, and we conveniently overlook them.

Lose, and they stick out like dogs bollocks.

They all average out over a game and a season.

There were a kazillion reasons within our control that let us down (and we can fix) without having to blame the umps.

Re: Draw

Teams we played twice:

Swans - they barely scraped into the 8 in 2023 and nobody predicted they’d have a dominating season. That’s just bad luck for us, not really the fault of the draw. We lost both games but the second one was very winnable.

Brisbane - tough opponent, but we won both of those games so we can’t blame that.

Carlton - Premiership favourites, so they’re tough games, but again we won both of those so we can’t blame that.

Melbourne - expected to be tough games but we dominated both convincingly, so we can’t blame that.

Essendon - drew one, lost one. That’s just our own dang fault that we couldn’t beat the team that finished 11th.

Hawthorn - basket case in 2023 and it’s just bad luck they started dominating out of nowhere. Won 1 lost 1

Our record against the double up teams in 2024 was: 7 wins, 4 losses, 1 draw.

Seems our draw wasn’t that bad?
Our draw was indicated by numerous media outlets as one of the hardest
The AFL even rated ours as second hardest
Playing opening round after being premiers away then two 6 day breaks ???
We played against top 8 teams more than anyone also
Cmon

The umpires directly cost us 2-3 games
Fremantle in Perth
Swans in Sydney
Fisher was disgraceful against also in r3 st kilda game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming home with a wet sail means finishing strongly. A wet “ old school” canvas sail swells when it’s wet, hence catches more air, and the boat goes faster

Many things went wrong for us this year. Injuries and form lapses combined to make our season difficult. I'm over having to play good sides twice just because we draw crowds. A good run with injuries and we'll be back up there next year. We only just missed out this year, in a year where we were decimated by injuries

Our draw was indicated by numerous media outlets as one of the hardest
The AFL even rated ours as second hardest
Playing opening round after being premiers away then two 6 day breaks ???
We played against top 8 teams more than anyone also
Cmon

Given we lost to the teams that finished 13, 12, and 11th. And drew with the teams that finished 10th and 11th, we can hardly blame missing finals on a tough draw.

Injuries cruelled us. But so did motivation I reckon.

That start 0/3 was 100% some of the softest effort in terms of working hard for each other and physical intent we have seen under Fly.

Took until after that they had a good hard look at themselves and looked to correct it as thier prides finally got stung when they realised the season was on the line and they aren't the Harlem globe trotters.

We weren't that far in front of the competition to come in 10% under effort wise.

We win majority of our games by under 2 goals...

That start 0/3 was 100% some of the softest effort in terms of working hard for each other and physical intent we have seen under Fly.

Took until after that they had a good hard look at themselves and looked to correct it as thier prides finally got stung when they realised the season was on the line and they aren't the Harlem globe trotters.

We weren't that far in front of the competition to come in 10% under effort wise.

We win majority of our games by under 2 goals...

Was at round 1 against GWS and we looked so half-arsed

Running patterns were very poor

Given we lost to the teams that finished 13, 12, and 11th. And drew with the teams that finished 10th and 11th, we can hardly blame missing finals on a tough draw.
We had mihocek JDG Elliott mostly missing
Mitchell the inside mid who was the hero of 23 gone
Murphy pulled the pin before season started mcstay knee etc
Cox missed half a year
Pendles and beau missed games
We went into dogs game with 8 first 22 out

It reaches a tipping point and then players come back underdone
Need more luck next year and have another tilt

Collingwoods draw is only part of it. It wasn’t all about who we played twice… it’s also about who the teams immediately ahead of us played twice

Last edited:
Collingwoods draw is only part of it. It wasn’t all about who we played twice… it’s also about who the teams immediately ahead of us played twice
Before vs in review double ups
Hawthorn = assumed easy but was difficult got them when hot a second time
Essendon = assumed easy. Actually 50 50. Were around us got them when hot early.
Carlton=Assumed hard. And was about the prediction I thought. Ended up roughly around us similar to last year but both dropped off this year
Lions= Assumed hard. Got them early when down and end when they came good. So hardish
Melbourne = Assumed hard turned out easy. Got them after the freo game and after they imploded.
Swans = assumed 50 50. Turned out the hardest double up.
Things change. What can look easy at start can end up bloody hard and vice versa. Teams improve and drop. Even the point of year you get them for a one game can make the difference.
Lot of luck involved.
We could say get GC or Dees from bottom 6 twice next year and they might bolt making it tough.
We could get a Hawk's who.may struggle to back up and be easier than expected.
Who knows. Multiply that by 17 others and their combos and its very inexact

Before vs in review double ups
Hawthorn = assumed easy but was difficult got them when hot a second time
Essendon = assumed easy. Actually 50 50. Were around us got them when hot early.
Carlton=Assumed hard. And was about the prediction I thought. Ended up roughly around us similar to last year but both dropped off this year
Lions= Assumed hard. Got them early when down and end when they came good. So hardish
Melbourne = Assumed hard turned out easy. Got them after the freo game and after they imploded.
Swans = assumed 50 50. Turned out the hardest double up.
Things change. What can look easy at start can end up bloody hard and vice versa. Teams improve and drop. Even the point of year you get them for a one game can make the difference.
Lot of luck involved.
Yes some pot luck for sure but Richmond and north being crap in 2024 was a no brainer. Carlton got both of them twice despite having a strong 2023 season

Collingwoods draw started hard and got no easier with the benefit of hindsight. Hawthorn made it harder, Melbourne made it fractionally easier, albeit round 24 was a dead rubber anyway. On balance, harder. The difficulty of games against double up other opponents were largely as forecast.

Last edited:
It's been a bitterly disappointing year for us, there's no getting past that. We had a few things go against us, but I feel we still should have done better with the talent we had available. We certainly had enough going for us, if we got things right, to have done some damage come September. Hopefully this wasted year will see our players really strive to make amends next year.

While it's not much consolation, I think it is quite pertinent that three of the last four premiers have failed to qualify for finals the following year (Richmond in 2021, Geelong 2023, Collingwood 2024). Melbourne (2022) did at least play finals, but suffered an embarrassing "straight sets" exit, and haven't won a final since 2021's triumph. Clearly, the competition is so close and unpredictable that even when you are the best, if you drop your standards just a bit you'll be overtaken. It's a very tough competition!

Very Well Said 35Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Missing finals after a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back