MRP / Trib. Mitch Duncan bump on Robbie Fox discussion - not sure of report yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fook Luke Darcy for IMMEDIATELY saying they gotta have a look at it, and then going and asking everyone what they thought.
"Will be debated long and hard."

Why the * would it? Fox overruns the ball, then slips and goes in and Duncan protects himself. So what happens if Duncan doesn't protect himself? Fox maybe takes the legs and *s Mitch up.

What a ******* trash call from a trash commentator. There is no reportable action in that, end of the day Fox overruns the ball initiating the contact. What alternative is Duncan left with? And if Fox doesn't slip he likely cannons into Duncan because, and this is for those in the back, FOX OVERRUNS THE BALL.
Luke Darcy is the textbook example of the boy's club and giving employment to someone who adds exactly nothing to whatever production he is involved in.
Does he ever actually give insight or expertise in a telecast?

Sorry for intruding. To be honest when I first saw the incident in real time I thought it was a free to Duncan for sliding and taking out his legs. I don't even think it was a bump, he braced himself for impact instinctively

We were sitting right behind this incident and said the same thing immediately.
Objectively the swan came in too low and careless. Thought the whistle was our free, he hurtled in at tibia height before Duncan adjusted.
but Duncan will pay, nothing surer.

If he gets a suspension it will only be a week, but he should get off free for that… The AFL is coming down on head contacts, due to pending lawsuits, so I wouldn’t put it past them…

If he gets a suspension it will only be a week, but he should get off free for that… The AFL is coming down on head contacts, due to pending lawsuits, so I wouldn’t put it past them…
I'm interested in how long it will take for the AFL to fully absorb the idea that you just cannot litigate all head injuries away from a contact sport.

For what it's worth, I love how much time and effort they're spending on it, but you just can't eradicate it completely.

Surely he gets a week, according to the MRO 'criteria'. And surely the club is then able to appeal and present a compelling case for Mitch having no other reasonable cause to contest the footy (including all the very salient info already noted here about how Fox actually initiates the contact).

So I think if you're saying, 'they'll call that a week', you're right. And if you're saying 'he'll definitely get off', you'll also ultimately be correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game is stuffed if he gets any weeks just total Bullsh-t
The game has been stuffed for years.

Players have been told that if you elect to bump and make contact with the head you're in trouble.

That's what it's getting to.

Which is ridiculous because where do you differentiate between which risks youre protecting? Arguably fox bumps duncan and accidentally concusses himself. Are we saying one player's head is worth protecting and the other one isnt? This is the slippery slope when you down this route. As i said duncan didnt bump he protected himself because fox went past the ball and tried to run through him (and slipped as he did it which was unavoidable for duncan)

The afl needs to stop worrying about potential lawsuits and penalise the action not the outcome. If its a fair football action with no alternative then let it go if its a non fair football action (like stewart going past the ball to bump prestia) then sanction it hard. But what we have at the moment is ridiculous

Which is ridiculous because where do you differentiate between which risks youre protecting? Arguably fox bumps duncan and accidentally concusses himself. Are we saying one player's head is worth protecting and the other one isnt? This is the slippery slope when you down this route. As i said duncan didnt bump he protected himself because fox went past the ball and tried to run through him (and slipped as he did it which was unavoidable for duncan)

The afl needs to stop worrying about potential lawsuits and penalise the action not the outcome. If its a fair football action with no alternative then let it go if its a non fair football action (like stewart going past the ball to bump prestia) then sanction it hard. But what we have at the moment is ridiculous

Trouble is, there seems to be a belief in some quarters that concussion can be legislated out of the game.

Mate, Duncan was in the bumping motion well before Fox had passed the ball.

Trouble is, there seems to be a belief in some quarters that concussion can be legislated out of the game.
Which is impossible unless you prohibit any form of contact. Once that happens the game dies.

I certainly won't watch it ... In fact I hardly watch any other games now as it is.

There's no way he gets suspended. If Tom Lynch can "misjudge" a ball and jump into his opponent but get off because he was supposedly contesting the footy I don't see how Duncan can get suspended for chasing after the ball and bracing when his opponent runs at him.
Was going to say, on every measure it's 'better' than Lynch's incident.

There's absolutely a Chooklotto element to these, but if Lynch got off then surely Duncan will.

Agree totally.

There's a tinge of paranoia around the concussion debate.
There really isn't any way around it I'm afraid unless what I stated above happens.

Situations like Duncan's - even though the player involved wasn't concussed - Is avoidable. He simply chose to bump and collected Fox high. It now comes down the grading. It's either a fine or 1 week.

I'm not confident he'll escape suspension unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back