Mixed Message From Mickey

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2004
Where No Birds Fly
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide/Sturt/Wingfield
I dont have any great issue with the article, just want to highlight where I feel MR has missed his own point

SELF-REGULATION is a farce in Australia. It has not worked in the media. It certainly has failed in Australian football.

When Port Adelaide ruckman Dean Brogan broke the nose of his shameful Crows taunter Dale Mortimer at Adelaide Airport last year, the Power should have taken away his boarding pass.

The Power - which eventually fined its premiership ruckman $5000 - should have sent Brogan home and relied on All-Australian Brendon Lade and Toby Thurstans to carry the rucks against Carlton.

Adelaide has been no better in dealing with in-house issues.

That the Crows have taken no disciplinary action - not even a public reprimand - against club champion Simon Goodwin for breaching his contract and the AFL rules by gambling on Australian football again proves clubs cannot self-regulate

<snip> ( this is what I want to highlight)

West Coast has failed as well.

The Eagles' $500 fine - upped to $5000 by the AFL - against Michael Braun for dropping the f-bomb on Subiaco Oval when receiving the Ross Glendinning Medal as best-afield in the Western Derby highlights clubs cannot deal with errant players

--------------------------

Let me get this straight, he wants the AFL and not clubs to deal with these issues, then when the AFL do deal with the issue he complains that the AFC didnt deal with the issue?

I dont have any great issue with the article, just want to highlight where I feel MR has missed his own point

SELF-REGULATION is a farce in Australia. It has not worked in the media. It certainly has failed in Australian football.

When Port Adelaide ruckman Dean Brogan broke the nose of his shameful Crows taunter Dale Mortimer at Adelaide Airport last year, the Power should have taken away his boarding pass.

The Power - which eventually fined its premiership ruckman $5000 - should have sent Brogan home and relied on All-Australian Brendon Lade and Toby Thurstans to carry the rucks against Carlton.

Adelaide has been no better in dealing with in-house issues.

That the Crows have taken no disciplinary action - not even a public reprimand - against club champion Simon Goodwin for breaching his contract and the AFL rules by gambling on Australian football again proves clubs cannot self-regulate

<snip> ( this is what I want to highlight)

West Coast has failed as well.

The Eagles' $500 fine - upped to $5000 by the AFL - against Michael Braun for dropping the f-bomb on Subiaco Oval when receiving the Ross Glendinning Medal as best-afield in the Western Derby highlights clubs cannot deal with errant players

--------------------------

Let me get this straight, he wants the AFL and not clubs to deal with these issues, then when the AFL do deal with the issue he complains that the AFC didnt deal with the issue?

He has highlighted the problems that have arised but provided no suitable solution, so what was the point of the article:confused:

That the Crows have taken no disciplinary action - not even a public reprimand - against club champion Simon Goodwin for breaching his contract and the AFL rules by gambling on Australian football again proves clubs cannot self-regulate.

Didn't the playing group make Goodwin front them and queried him about his gambling issues before deciding any penalty that they wished to impose? The players then decided that he satisfactorily answered their concerns and left him in the leadership group. The club then took his salary out of his hands, appointed a guardian to control his money and enrolled him in a gambling rehabilitation program. He is given an allowance from the guardian but access to his salary has been in effect removed. I would say that to claim that the club did not take disciplinary action is not entirely correct. It was a punishment appropriate to the crime.

Didn't the playing group make Goodwin front them and queried him about his gambling issues before deciding any penalty that they wished to impose? The players then decided that he satisfactorily answered their concerns and left him in the leadership group. The club then took his salary out of his hands, appointed a guardian to control his money and enrolled him in a gambling rehabilitation program. He is given an allowance from the guardian but access to his salary has been in effect removed. I would say that to claim that the club did not take disciplinary action is not entirely correct. It was a punishment appropriate to the crime.

Nutshell.....:thumbsu:

I'd also like to add that in the real world - gambling is still legal...whereas taking illicit drugs, running from the police, drink driving, and bashing morons in airports and parks are not.

Let's be clear................Goody broke a Code of Conduct...........others have broken Civil and Criminal Laws

A little perspective and context would be nice.................

I'd also like to add that in the real world - gambling is still legal...whereas taking illicit drugs, running from the police, drink driving, and bashing morons in airports and parks are not.

Let's be clear................Goody broke a Code of Conduct...........others have broken Civil and Criminal Laws

Exactly right assulting someone in a public place is far greater than what Goodwin did which is only wrong in the eyes of the AFL not in general terms, me thinks this is Rucci's latest attempt to drag the AFC into something they dont need to be dragged into.

And no matter what we did or didnt do the Afl pinged him 20 grand and another 20 grand suspended.
If I read that article right either it advocates two punshments for the one issue or the AFL was wrong in dealing with Goodwin and it should of been left up to the club.

Exactly right assulting someone in a public place is far greater than what Goodwin did which is only wrong in the eyes of the AFL not in general terms, me thinks this is Rucci's latest attempt to drag the AFC into something they dont need to be dragged into.

Has not brogan answered to 2 assault charges?

And no matter what we did or didnt do the Afl pinged him 20 grand and another 20 grand suspended.
If I read that article right either it advocates two punshments for the one issue or the AFL was wrong in dealing with Goodwin and it should of been left up to the club.

The AFL had to be involved as it was the AFL Code Of Conduct he breached not the AFC's.

Someone should write a letter to the editor about this one. Way off the mark from Rucci. Poor journalism.

I'm one of 99.95% of Advertiser readers who never ever read the letters section, but I still think Rucci deserves to be called on this, some way or another.

It's quite obvious from today's article that Rucci had no other mud to sling at the Adelaide Football Club, so he thought he'd bring up a topic which died a long time ago.

He really is a petty little man, and is an embarrassment to the profession of journalism.:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he taunted Port Players?

The only other meaning this could have is that Mortimer is somehow employed by the Adelaide Football Club.

Or is Michaelangelo suggesting that the Adelaide Football Club is responsible for the behaviour of all it's supporters well away from any footballing activities?

Did you read in the Sunday Mail I think it was that Goody Tiiggy etc were all at either the races or the dogs the other night?

Not sure whehther that's a good place for a gambling addict.

Did you read in the Sunday Mail I think it was that Goody Tiiggy etc were all at either the races or the dogs the other night?

Not sure whehther that's a good place for a gambling addict.

It was probably in the social pages. They were only being sociable.

Could be a bit to do with his rehab perhaps?

Rucci has never had any perspective.
I guess we should be thankful for the week or two since he last brought it up........

I thought he taunted Port Players?

The only other meaning this could have is that Mortimer is somehow employed by the Adelaide Football Club.

Or is Michaelangelo suggesting that the Adelaide Football Club is responsible for the behaviour of all it's supporters well away from any footballing activities?

Hmm come to think of it if he had dug a little deeper on this, he may have found out that this 'Mortimer' character was actually Simon Goodwin in disguise!

Really missed a great story. Poor journalism.... :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mixed Message From Mickey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back