Mofra's Bottom 50 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

He was. But that says more about the state of the rest of their squad than about Hartigan being any good.

i believe the same concept applies to sam frost

Player #33 - Sam Reid
1604027596684.png
Pictured: Sam Reid during pride round (the rest of this byline writes itself)

Sam Reid is a Swans AFL player, not to be confused with Sam Reid from GWS, Ben Reid from Collingwood, His dad Bruce Reid who played for Footscray and Carlton, his grandfather Bruce Reid Senior who played for Footscray, his uncle John Reid who played for Footscray, Melbourne and Sydney, or actor Sam Reid.
You could say I... really got into the reids preparing this entry.

Sam Reid is a one of those rare commodities in the modern AFL, in being a key forward the the Swans developed themselves. Previously they've preferring to bring in their forward talent like Buddy Franklin, Kurt Tippett, Barry Hall, Tony Lockett, Simon Minton-Connell, Richard Osborne, etc. With Geelong and Hawthorn now competing for pension eligibility of their playing lists, this avenue to trading is now no longer available and they're stuck with guys like Sam Reid.

2020 didn't really go that well for poor Sam. Injured early, he came back to a side that was struggling with form and experience and had approximately 48.8% of their salary cap* sitting on the side lines, and that was just Buddy Franklin.
* Carlton and Essendon fans, a salary cap is what you're supposed to spend less than
* Collingwood fans, a salary cap is meant to be spent it on players who actually play, not chubby amatuer artists with debts to bikies.

Sam went at half a goal per game this year, which looks bad. What looks worse is the fact he kicked one goal from his first five games this year, although to be fair it looks like he was giving a chop-out in the ruck at times with 10 hit-outs in one game, numbers Bulldog ruckmen like Josh Dunkley would be jealous of. Like Dunkley, Reid is a premiership player. Unlike Gary Rohan, Reid kicked a goal in a Grand Final, in 2012. Rohan didn't play that day, although he arguably didn't play last week either.

Back to Sam. He is contracted to a long term healthy deal, just like Buddy and Tippett were. I don't know who manages AFL contracts but it sounds like the easiest gig in the world. Given the industry has mental giant player managers like Ricky Nixon getting the better of clubs I can only assume the main talent pool for the role is BigFooty posters who get infracted out. I wrote to the Swans to ask about their cap management but just got a one line response that said "shut up DH!" - then I got tyred of asking. Collingwood just responded by saying they were busy putting together a bottom 50 of Bay 13 posters, and Essendon claimed they lost my email. North responded by fax, asking what the hell an email was.

Anyway Sam good luck next year. Welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2020.

Player #33 - Sam Reid

Sam Reid is a Swans AFL player, not to be confused with Sam Reid from GWS, Ben Reid from Collingwood, His dad Bruce Reid who played for Footscray and Carlton, his grandfather Bruce Reid Senior who played for Footscray, his uncle John Reid who played for Footscray, Melbourne and Sydney, or actor Sam Reid.

Any relation to the late Dr Bruce Reid of Essendon fame? Any more reids and we'd be in the woodwind section.

Any relation to the late Dr Bruce Reid of Essendon fame? Any more reids and we'd be in the woodwind section.
I can't tell, no records are available

Uninterestingly Sam Reid of Footscray and now GWS fame has a brother named Ben as well. I’m not sure if he’s related to 6’8 sandgroper fast bowler Bruce Reid who once held the record for tallest international cricketer alongside Joel Garner whose namesake now plays as a small defender for Poort somehow

Player #33 - Sam Reid
View attachment 998699

Sam Reid is a one of those rare commodities in the modern AFL, in being a key forward the the Swans developed themselves. Previously they've preferring to bring in their forward talent like Buddy Franklin, Kurt Tippett, Barry Hall, Tony Lockett, Simon Minton-Connell, Richard Osborne, etc. With Geelong and Hawthorn now competing for pension eligibility of their playing lists, this avenue to trading is now no longer available and they're stuck with guys like Sam Reid.

2020 didn't really go that well for poor Sam. Injured early, he came back to a side that was struggling with form and experience and had approximately 48.8% of their salary cap* sitting on the side lines, and that was just Buddy Franklin.
* Carlton and Essendon fans, a salary cap is what you're supposed to spend less than
* Collingwood fans, a salary cap is meant to be spent it on players who actually play, not chubby amatuer artists with debts to bikies.

Sam went at half a goal per game this year, which looks bad. What looks worse is the fact he kicked one goal from his first five games this year, although to be fair it looks like he was giving a chop-out in the ruck at times with 10 hit-outs in one game, numbers Bulldog ruckmen like Josh Dunkley would be jealous of. Like Dunkley, Reid is a premiership player. Unlike Gary Rohan, Reid kicked a goal in a Grand Final, in 2012. Rohan didn't play that day, although he arguably didn't play last week either.

Back to Sam. He is contracted to a long term healthy deal, just like Buddy and Tippett were. I don't know who manages AFL contracts but it sounds like the easiest gig in the world. Given the industry has mental giant player managers like Ricky Nixon getting the better of clubs I can only assume the main talent pool for the role is BigFooty posters who get infracted out. I wrote to the Swans to ask about their cap management but just got a one line response that said "shut up DH!" - then I got tyred of asking. Collingwood just responded by saying they were busy putting together a bottom 50 of Bay 13 posters, and Essendon claimed they lost my email. North responded by fax, asking what the hell an email was.

Any relation to Riley Reid?
The effect Buddy Franklin and his contract had on Bloods Culture:

Last edited by a moderator:
Player #33 - Sam Reid
View attachment 998699

You know so much about the game should be working for the newspaper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player #33 - Sam Reid
View attachment 998699

Tragically he is not the last Swan I believe will be here. Ben Ronke is someone I think will turn up. Sam Gray is top 5 material he was that bad.

Sam Reid is very much in the same category as the McDonald brothers.

Big, tall, athletic and fast. Should be good on paper. Probably looks a world beater at training.

But just absolutely shithouse when it comes to actual games.

Any relation to Riley Reid?
The effect Buddy Franklin and his contract had on Bloods Culture:
This is excellence. That’s not a typo, it’s enduring and will always be present tense.

- knew a girl who dated Sams brother Ben. Footballers really do punch above their weight
- Mofra forgot argurably the greatest “key” forward the swans poached, Craig O’Brien. No idea why but he’s the first name that always springs to mind when people mention Sydney poaching forwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is excellence. That’s not a typo, it’s enduring and will always be present tense.

- knew a girl who dated Sams brother Ben. Footballers really do punch above their weight
- Mofra forgot argurably the greatest “key” forward the swans poached, Craig O’Brien. No idea why but he’s the first name that always springs to mind when people mention Sydney poaching forwards.
Loved the way O'Brien went about his football. Hard-nosed no-nonsense true footballer.

Player #33 - Sam Reid
... I don't know who manages AFL contracts but it sounds like the easiest gig in the world. Given the industry has mental giant player managers like Ricky Nixon getting the better of clubs I can only assume the main talent pool for the role is BigFooty posters who get infracted out...

Clearly Ramanauskas didn't get this memo, since he's made Ben Brown's pay-packet shrink faster than an airline's share price in the past year!

[/QUOTE]
Yeah he's more notable for the Swans than Osbourne. Osbourne left after a year that included a horrible freak accident, to go to Footscray. And a year later, so did Minton-Connell. And Barry Hall finished his career with the Dogs.

Yeah he's more notable for the Swans than Osbourne. Osbourne left after a year that included a horrible freak accident, to go to Footscray. And a year later, so did Minton-Connell. And Barry Hall finished his career with the Dogs.
[/QUOTE]
Remember watching that game.., wife and I thought Osbourne had been killed!!

[/QUOTE]
As if 1993 couldn't have been any worse for the Swans at that point someone nearly died on the field. Remarkable that he even returned to play, and then played another five seasons.

I remember watching that too, you know things are serious if they have to drive a bloody ambo onto the field in the middle of a game

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back