Koo Koo Ka-Choo
Oct 24, 2005
Bourgeois Bohemia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wests Tigers
Panthers on the prowl for A-League berth

The Penrith Leagues Club is understood to be planning a bid for the entry into the A-League in 2010.

The Daily Telegraph reported that the Panthers Entertainment Group had scheduled a meeting with Football Federation Australia as precursor to submitting a formal application.

If successful in gaining an A-League licence the Panthers would be based at Penrith Stadium, where NRL matches are played during the winter season.

The FFA had hoped to have teams from Townsville and the Gold Coast on board for the next A-League season but they failed to meet the financial criteria and will be considered again the following season.

was it "dirty tactics" when both collingwood and carlton created NSL teams?

If you want to slag league why the f*ck do you support wests tigers?

was it "dirty tactics" when both collingwood and carlton created NSL teams?

If you want to slag league why the f*ck do you support wests tigers?

I thought he was being saracastic. There are a few AFL supporters on here than seem to believe that every other code is terrified of them/AFL and that every move the other codes make stems from that terror.

Sometimes clubs simply try expand because it makes good business sense. I think the Panthers would be an example of that.

If he was, then I apologise, but unfortunately on this board, thread titles like this one are like red rags to bulls.

When this board first began, I enjoyed looking at the diferent points of view, and even learnt a few things but over last couple of weeks every thread has degenerated into "AFL will take over the world and rugby league is crap" mostly by the same 10 or so post-whores

I'm just a bit sick of it....

I thought he was being saracastic. There are a few AFL supporters on here than seem to believe that every other code is terrified of them/AFL and that every move the other codes make stems from that terror.

Sometimes clubs simply try expand because it makes good business sense. I think the Panthers would be an example of that.

But the AFL are evil and just want to piss off the NRL and, worst of all, you?

There are at least three bids for the West Sydney A League club, one of them backed by Harry Kewell.

The problem with a bid from the Panthers, is that it would alienate soccer fans who follow another rugby league club. It's also inaccessible for many.

Penrith keen to host A-League club

By Tom Smithies

April 03, 2008

THE battle for a second Sydney A-League team has taken a new twist with the Penrith Leagues Club planning a bid for entry in 2010.

The Panthers Entertainment Group - which owns a portfolio of 14 licensed clubs in NSW - has scheduled talks with Football Federation Australia as a precursor to submitting a formal application.

As various bidders circle the proposed second Sydney franchise, The Daily Telegraph has also learnt that reclusive Wollongong billionaire Bruce Gordon recently met with FFA chairman Frank Lowy to impress upon him his support for an A-League team in the Illawarra.

It's inconceivable that more than one Sydney team would be added to the A-League in 2010, and FFA chief executive Ben Buckley believes the western suburbs have a compelling case - particularly given the AFL's expansion plans for the area.

But Gordon's involvement has impressed the FFA, whose bottom line continues to be that new clubs must be able to pay their way.

The Panthers bid would see the team be based at Penrith Stadium, the summer fixtures complementing the Panthers' NRL season. The stadium is in the middle of a multi-million-dollar government-funded renovation.

It's not known whether the Panthers Group would bankroll the A-League franchise - it reported a $10 million loss last season.

However, it signed a deal with the property arm of Dutch finance giant ING in May last year that eliminated its bank debt and reportedly gave the group cash for expansion.
The FFA had hoped to introduce teams on the Gold Coast and Townsville for next season but neither could meet certain financial criteria in time and hope to enter in 2009/10.

While it has long been assumed a second Sydney team would be at Parramatta, some see Penrith as more logical as it would be further from the sphere of Sydney FC and reduce the risk of siphoning off existing support.

Former A-League chief Matt Carroll argued last year that Penrith offered a compelling case for serious examination, particularly given the number of players in the region.

The stadium's owners, Penrith City Council, are very keen on backing any bid and last night Mayor Greg Davies said: "Penrith is a large regional area with a strong supporter base for national teams and there is a huge interest in the A-League.

"Council would help achieve that dream . . . through firm support of a financial backer of a team."

If he was, then I apologise, but unfortunately on this board, thread titles like this one are like red rags to bulls.

When this board first began, I enjoyed looking at the diferent points of view, and even learnt a few things but over last couple of weeks every thread has degenerated into "AFL will take over the world and rugby league is crap" mostly by the same 10 or so post-whores

How rude :rolleyes:

Typical RL bad posting form :thumbsdown:

By the way, RL is crap and AFL is taking over your pathetic
excuse for a sport....Pinky and Brain mentality I see :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. I wouldn't mind it so much if there was some kind of argument behind why the AFL will succeed where it has failed before, but it seems to always fall back to rugby league is shit. Their target market in NSW and Queensland doesn't share their opinion here.

It's pretty obvious that they're only doing this coz they're so sh!t-scared of the AFL's western sydney team.

I am certain that the 'Panfers World of Entertainment' is not worried about the AFL, and it is likely that 97% of their supporters would be lucky to name 3 AFL players (outside all of the drug pharked ones).

Panthers is located on 82 hectares of landscaped grounds at the foothills of the Blue Mountains, one of Australia's World Heritage listed areas. With a wide range of restaurants to suit all tastes, first class live entertainment, gaming, bars, accommodation and outdoor leisure.

The Panthers Entertainment Group has 14 licensed club sites in NSW - from Port Macquarie on the mid-north coast to Lavington, in the south. Our clubs cater for a wide range of activities for members, their families and guests.

http://panthersworld.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=116

Ghengiskhan, you talk so much crap. It is the Sydney media driving this fear campaign. and of the thousand or so of posts in the expansion board, you would struggle to find a handful saying that Aussie Rules will succeed because RL is $hit.

If you really want to have these pointless arguments, than why don't you visit TFC on LeagueUnlimited, where you will fit right in, with people who have real insecurities about their sport.

Ghengiskhan, you talk so much crap. It is the Sydney media driving this fear campaign. and of the thousand or so of posts in the expansion board, you would struggle to find a handful saying that Aussie Rules will succeed because RL is $hit.

If you really want to have these pointless arguments, than why don't you visit TFC on LeagueUnlimited, where you will fit right in, with people who have real insecurities about their sport.

I see you haven't be back there for a few years hoops, still pissed off with the spanking you got huh? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am certain that the 'Panfers World of Entertainment' is not worried about the AFL, and it is likely that 97% of their supporters would be lucky to name 3 AFL players (outside all of the drug pharked ones).

Panthers is located on 82 hectares of landscaped grounds at the foothills of the Blue Mountains, one of Australia's World Heritage listed areas. With a wide range of restaurants to suit all tastes, first class live entertainment, gaming, bars, accommodation and outdoor leisure.

The Panthers Entertainment Group has 14 licensed club sites in NSW - from Port Macquarie on the mid-north coast to Lavington, in the south. Our clubs cater for a wide range of activities for members, their families and guests.

http://panthersworld.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=116

Is this the same group whom recently announced a record 10M dollar loss and was recently re-financed by ING?

Is this the same group whom recently announced a record 10M dollar loss and was recently re-financed by ING?

No, ING paid $85m for 49.9% of the club.

Jointly they are going to work their way refurbing all of their clubs.

Panfers is not my cup of tea, just like their cuppa is not AFL.

I see you haven't be back there for a few years hoops, still pissed off with the spanking you got huh? :D

spanking? I was the spanker, and you guys seemed to like it.

Never did get a reason where those extra million people in the estimates for NSW and Qld came from when adding the TV Ratings of Metro and Regionals.

More Dirty Tactics by the NRL

A note to all those trolls here - this thread was started with that provocative title by yet another troll, in another desperate (and dirty) attempt to try and slander supporters of our Australian game. Yet even when exposed, follow up troll posts persisted to try and put pin the blame on Australian Footballer supporters :confused:

This also ignores the basic fact that this is an AFL forum, so Australian Footballer supporters can say what we like.

Rugby trolls can say whatever nasty paranoid things they like about he AFL on their own forums - I don't give a stuff what rubbish they write their own sites, and can't think of a single reason to "go over" and find out.

Still, its a compliment to our great Australian game that its expansion forum attracts so many fearful trolls. Far, far better than no reaction at all. Shows our great indigenous game is on the right track! :thumbsu:

NRL is growing rapidly. AFL is growing rapidly. There is a fierce strategic rivalry between our nations 2 major brands of football. There is also growth in A-League and although Rugby is stagnating at present it's generally improving its strategic market position also. The reality is all 4 brands of football are at their highest point ever and still moving forward. Success or failure is not determined by your competitors position, but rather whether all of your own key performance indicators are trending upwards. They are.

NRL is growing rapidly. AFL is growing rapidly. There is a fierce strategic rivalry between our nations 2 major brands of football. There is also growth in A-League and although Rugby is stagnating at present it's generally improving its strategic market position also. The reality is all 4 brands of football are at their highest point ever and still moving forward. Success or failure is not determined by your competitors position, but rather whether all of your own key performance indicators are trending upwards. They are.

This is your standard line LD.

A-League is growing rapidly, much moreso than Aussie Rules and the rugby codes.

Aussie Rules is growing strongly.

But on what basis do you base your claim that "NRL is growing rapidly".

No need yet for NRL to expand, says David Gallop
The AFL is talking expansion. The A-League could have teams from Gold Coast and Townsville as early as next year. Are they putting the NRL in a position where you need to expand again as well?
Not at the moment, because we have what we consider expansion clubs with work to do – the Storm, Warriors and Titans. While further expansion isn't in our short-term plans, we are always monitoring how we are placed strategically.

We all know that union is going backwards, especially considering the massive losses made by the ARC, which IMO had potential.

We all know that union is going backwards, especially considering the massive losses made by the ARC, which IMO had potential.

Moron, the NRL put a team in last year, the only code in the country who haven't put in any new teams in the last 5-10 years is the AFL. :rolleyes:

True.

True, because domestic soccer was on the canvas prior to the A-League and getting back on its knees even was a significant leap foward.

No doubt.

How about record crowds and ratings for the NRL across the board, not to mention record broadcast revenue for the NRL.

Could and should they be doing better? Yes.

However, you cannot dispute that they never done better on the major performance criteria.

The ARC was never going to be anything other than a necessary evil, such as Sheffield Shield cricket. SS is not profitable but critical to cricketers development from juniors to the Test team.

Moron, the NRL put a team in last year, the only code in the country who haven't put in any new teams in the last 5-10 years is the AFL. :rolleyes:

Don't blow your load mate. I just wanted some clarification.

Isn't the Titans simply a replacement for several teams which in the past have dropped off the NRL radar.

Union put on about 6 new teams last year. Does that constitute "rapidly growing". Anyone can bankroll a new team. I'm talking about participation and other performance indicators.

Don't blow your load mate. I just wanted some clarification.

Isn't the Titans simply a replacement for several teams which in the past have dropped off the NRL radar.

Union put on about 6 new teams last year. Does that constitute "rapidly growing". Anyone can bankroll a new team. I'm talking about participation and other performance indicators.

I'm only having a go at you because you come out with the most strangest ideas, not long ago, you were blaming the NRL and the ABC for not showing enough AFL games into Asia because it's from Sydney.

If the NRL had that much power over the ABC, don't you think they'd put RL on ABC radio nation wide, also, wouldn't they put on Jim Beam cup games in NSW like they put on QLD cup in QLD for RL, WAFL for AFL fans in WA, SANFL games on in SA, NTAFL for AFL fans in the NT and so on, only one state doesn't get state league games put on and it's NSW, we get union.

You do post weird things, it's annoying.

Now the NRL as LD said has grown, TV ratings are up, TV revenue is up, merchandise sales are up, participation is up in every state, more schools playing the game, more teams trying to get into the NRL like the WA Reds in Western Australia who play in the Jim Beam cup and so on.

SOO tixs for the QLD game sold out in half an hour last week.

We have a World cup on later this year where some of the bigots and arseholes who deride RL will see that there are a fair few competitive teams playing (if they watch).

Now I don't know why you thought the union comp was good, maybe deep down you wanted it to continue so it would drain even more money out of their coffers, I'll tell you now, if they had of stuck with that comp for two more years, the ARU would've been broke and they would have to had gone back to being amateur, I suppose I can see your point of view, one less competitor for AFL in NSW and QLD.

Nice positive spin about the Nrl.
The other side of the coin,is poor Sydney crowds,teams struggling fianancially to survive, A media corporation calling the shots,and having fianancial stakes in clubs that would otherwise be bankrupt.
The operating budget of an Nrl club is way smaller than an Afl club,and most Nrl clubs struggled to post a profit last year.
Yes it is all roses for the Nrl,I can see the Afl are green with envy over their powerhouse National competition.;)

Sounds like a smart and logical business proposal. It would provide extra revenue through sponserships, members etc but more importantly expands the panthers brand name to what could become a global market.

A few years back the Parramatta Leagues club ran the Parramatta Power Soccer team before the A League was formed which was well before the proposed Western Syndney AFL team was even though off. And i can remember reading about South Sydney intrested in forming a 20/20 cricket team in India for the purpose of to expand their brand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion More Dirty Tactics by the NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back