Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do club Presidents count?

True Story:

I met Eddie McGuire once.

I thought I'd do the right thing and introduce myself to him. So I said "Hi Eddie, I'm 76woodenspooners from BigFooty"

He replied "Er, um, sorry, I have to be somewhere else now", and he turned and made a beeline for the exit.

He seemed to be in a desperate hurry, but I was able to run alongside and keep up with him. I managed to ask him all kinds of questions before he reached the exit "How often do you go on BigFooty?", "Who is your favourite BigFooty poster?", "Who is your least favourite BigFooty poster?".

He even answered some of them, what a top bloke!
Turns out it wasn't Eddie McGuire you'd been speaking to. It was Steven King.

A few years ago I was in Bangor in the US state of Maine. Bumped into this guy who said he was a writer. I said "oh yeah, written anything I might have heard of?". He said the names of some books - Pet Sematary, The Shining, It. Anyway, just in case he became famous, I took a selfie with him.

Was showing a mate at home the photo, I said I think his name was Stephen King, like the former AFL ruckman.

My mate pointed out that I'd in fact taken a photo with the Dalai Lama...

A few years ago I was in Bangor in the US state of Maine. Bumped into this guy who said he was a writer. I said "oh yeah, written anything I might have heard of?". He said the names of some books - Pet Sematary, The Shining, It. Anyway, just in case he became famous, I took a selfie with him.

Was showing a mate at home the photo, I said I think his name was Stephen King, like the former AFL ruckman.

My mate pointed out that I'd in fact taken a photo with the Dalai Lama...
Turns out it wasn't your mate you showed the photo to. It was Steven King.

At the under 18s all star game Michael O'Laughlin didn't seem to have time for anybody yet Tom Harley was more than happy to chat with people and get a few photos in. Got to work with Ben Dixon and a young guns footy clinic a few years back and he is a ripping bloke very easy to talk to and very funny.

Just yesterday I was having a drink at Crown when Kieran McEvoy walked in.
I congratulated him on riding the Cup winner, and told him I understood why he took the ride on Almandin.

He was polite enough, but didn't seem too keen to talk about racing.

I got a selfie with him, and showed it to a couple of mates (a well known author and a former AFL footballer, for reference). They saw the photo and laughed.

Turns out I didn't meet Kieran McEvoy. I'd met 1991 Melbourne Cup runner up Shane Dye.

Last edited:
Went to an auction at a beautiful 3 storey modern home in Middle Park last year, I was living in a neighbouring suburb at the time and liked to pop down to auctions at nice houses for fun just to watch the bidding if I had nothing else to do on a Sunday. Was exploring the house with the other people and walked past Jobe Watson who was also checking out the house. Later spotted him amongst the big crowd who had gathered downstairs for the bidding.

Sadly Jobe didn't bid and no-one bid high enough to match the reserve.

Saw Robert Harvey pushing a pram at a market in Red Hill

Saw Campbell Brown absolutely destroy some sushi at one of the eateries next to Etihad before a game (post career)

Saw Tom Lonergan having a coffee at the Deakin Waterfront campus in Geelong

Saw Matthew Lloyd with about 6 children in Melbourne Central. He was standing outside the chemist looking very uncomfortable and awkward. Just one of those fellas I think

Not stalking Jobe Watson but I also saw him with Jake Carlisle buying meat from a butcher at the South Melbourne Markets. The butcher was pretty excited to be serving Jobe and when he finished serving him he asked if he could get an autograph for his son. I don't think he had anything to have signed so he gave a Jobe a brown piece of cardboard which Jobe happily signed.

Do club Presidents count?

True Story:

I met Eddie McGuire once.

I thought I'd do the right thing and introduce myself to him. So I said "Hi Eddie, I'm 76woodenspooners from BigFooty"

He replied "Er, um, sorry, I have to be somewhere else now", and he turned and made a beeline for the exit.

He seemed to be in a desperate hurry, but I was able to run alongside and keep up with him. I managed to ask him all kinds of questions before he reached the exit "How often do you go on BigFooty?", "Who is your favourite BigFooty poster?", "Who is your least favourite BigFooty poster?".

He even answered some of them, what a top bloke!

It seems like I cross paths with Eddie every second time I go to use the gents on level two of the MCC.

Solid thread!

Seen a fair few AFL lads out and about.

Top 2 for controversy.

2) Saw Glen Jackovich at a pub in Collie. Was $10 Chicken Parmigiana night, but he ordered a different meal. Audible groans from kitchen staff.

1) Was sitting on a $5 black jack table at the crown in Perth, formally known as The Burswood when this all went down. Leppitsch and Jono Brown sit down. They were staying the night after playing.
They plonk down 2x$5 chips like high rollers, $10 bets each. The dealer had a 5 and I had 18, so stuck and had $100 riding on it.
Jono Brown had a solid hand which escapes me and is a bit irrelevant to the story. Comes to Leppitsch who has 14 and is the last to act before the dealer. He ums and ahs, whilst I sit there saying in my head 'just stick you silly twat' - if you understand black jack and you'll understand the frustration and know what's coming.
Anyway, he decides to hit on his 14 versus a 5 and strikes gold in the form of a 7. Gives him 21 and he high fives Brown like it was his last $10 in life.
The next card is a 10, now at this stage I'm already realising that the dealer would've busted, he now sits on 15 and like a dagger pulls out a 5 next card to score 20 and beat my 18.
Leppitsch continues to smile and go on about his great hit.
I politely say 'the dealer would've busted' He never really understood and we went our seperate ways in life.
Knew there was a reason I liked Jako.

And the second story just sums up Leppa's coaching career in one fell swoop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid thread!

Seen a fair few AFL lads out and about.

Top 2 for controversy.

2) Saw Glen Jackovich at a pub in Collie. Was $10 Chicken Parmigiana night, but he ordered a different meal. Audible groans from kitchen staff.

1) Was sitting on a $5 black jack table at the crown in Perth, formally known as The Burswood when this all went down. Leppitsch and Jono Brown sit down. They were staying the night after playing.
They plonk down 2x$5 chips like high rollers, $10 bets each. The dealer had a 5 and I had 18, so stuck and had $100 riding on it.
Jono Brown had a solid hand which escapes me and is a bit irrelevant to the story. Comes to Leppitsch who has 14 and is the last to act before the dealer. He ums and ahs, whilst I sit there saying in my head 'just stick you silly twat' - if you understand black jack and you'll understand the frustration and know what's coming.
Anyway, he decides to hit on his 14 versus a 5 and strikes gold in the form of a 7. Gives him 21 and he high fives Brown like it was his last $10 in life.
The next card is a 10, now at this stage I'm already realising that the dealer would've busted, he now sits on 15 and like a dagger pulls out a 5 next card to score 20 and beat my 18.
Leppitsch continues to smile and go on about his great hit.
I politely say 'the dealer would've busted' He never really understood and we went our seperate ways in life.
Well that's a bit relative. If Leppa had an Ace and a 3, then he should have doubled ;)

Alright how boring is this!
Saw a young Matthew Lloyd at a sports night at an Essendon pub. He was quietly watching proceedings and didn't say anything.

Saw Daniel Giansiracusa and Shaun Higgins at Splash water park in Bali last week. My youngest son claims he walked past Gia and said 'Go Dogs' and Gia ignored him. But he is an habitual liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who Gia or the kid

when I was working at kmart I saw Michael Johnson from freo walking around the house section looking at the cushions, pretty tall guy

Saw Beau Wilkes/Maister in the chips aisle at Safeway.

We made awkward eye contact.

His head is just as fantastic in real life.

a_240410sptwilkes_1ajdos4-1ajdosb.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back