Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was checking out sneakers and footy merch at a sports store in Subi many moons ago when I got asked by an increasingly impatient Tony Godden 'are you buying anything or what'. I was a student and broke so of course not.

He was working there btw. Not just randomly asking questions to people around the corner from Subi Oval.

Was checking out sneakers and footy merch at a sports store in Subi many moons ago when I got asked by an increasingly impatient Tony Godden 'are you buying anything or what'. I was a student and broke so of course not.

He was working there btw. Not just randomly asking questions to people around the corner from Subi Oval.

who is Tony Godden?

Who is Tony Godden?!?!?!?!?!?!

How dare you not know a no-name midfield player who played some 25 games with the Eagles and then Dockers.

The trade to the Dockers meant the Eagles got a pick that got them Wirrapunda. Another winning move the Dockers in their early days.

Saw Bennie Cousins at a store in Broome just before things went pear shaped for him. He was with a smoking hot chick, possibly his girlfriend at the time or maybe one of his team mates girlfriends.
I also saw that joker who played Harold Bishop in neighbours at the same store the following week, was quite boring as well.

I once saw Dipper at a bakery. He was buying pastries and donuts. A lot of them. I reminded him that he called me on my birthday 30 years earlier when he owned a restaurant in Carlton to wish me a Happy Birthday. He told me he didn't remember me or the call, and that I had probably interrupted his nightly viewing of Sale of the Century with my birthday shenanigans. I said I remembered seeing him be best on ground in the 1978 Grand Final and it was a pity the Norm Smith started the following year. He said he thought Terry Wallace and Leigh Matthews had better games. I told him I shopped at Dimmeys and Forges because the supported him. He said it was good to see I still had the clothes I bought there 'back in the day'. I left and said 'see ya later Dipper!', he whispered under his breath 'not if I see you first'. The donuts had strawberry jam in them.

I was pissed at a crows game and we hung around after til the bars shut and Chris Groom was there (Chris Groom was traded from Adelaide to Fremantle for Andrew McLeod... another Docker shocker) we were laying into him (friendly) about the trade and he was really good about it all and drank with us for a bit. Seemed like a good bloke. Felt sorry for him a bit

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was at Chadstone Shopping Centre a few weekends ago and walked past Gary Ablett Jr and his wife. I turned around to look again and double-check at the very same time that a woman next to me also glanced back to look at him. She asked me “was that Gary Ablett?” and I said “yeah pretty sure it was”.

Not even 5 minutes later I walked past Marc Murphy and his pregnant wife. I glanced back again but this time no-one else seemed to recognise him.

It left me wondering if those guys would soon run into each other and what they would talk about.

I was at Chadstone Shopping Centre a few weekends ago and walked past Gary Ablett Jr and his wife. I turned around to look again and double-check at the very same time that a woman next to me also glanced back to look at him. She asked me “was that Gary Ablett?” and I said “yeah pretty sure it was”.

Not even 5 minutes later I walked past Marc Murphy and his pregnant wife. I glanced back again but this time no-one else seemed to recognise him.

It left me wondering if those guys would soon run into each other and what they would talk about.
I think Marc Murphy would say “are you Gary Ablett?” and Gary Ablett would say “pretty sure I am” then Gary would move away because he didn’t recognise the bloke who spoke to him.

"Thank god I got out of Queensland."
"Haha I played my cards such that I never had to go!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve served Daniel Merrett, Allen Christensen, Archie Smith, Marcus Ashcroft and (former Rugby League player) Darren Smith at work over the years.

Not too much to report, struck up
a conversation with Daniel Merrett and Archie Smith on the occasion I first served them, and they appeared nonplussed and somewhat embarrassed with the attention so nowadays I just play it cool and might shoot a knowing look but little more.

I think it was in the mid 90s Collingwood had a short lived team that played basketball over the summer at the local stadium where I played in Nunawading, I sometimes watched part of their game before my own. Some of them could even play, this surprised me. I remember Damien Monkhorst was a monster and could have dunked much more than he did, he usually just tipped them gently in.

I say short lived because I heard they had a spate of ankle and knee injuries and the club pulled them out. Pussies.

I was at a local footy clubs function night and John Barnes was the guest speaker.
He was awful!! All he talked about was how pissed he got. He tried to be funny but was the opposite.
Terrible
Maybe it's the excessive alcohol and not just the head knocks causing his mental problems?

I was on a school bus trip and one of the girls shouted out "look at that guy, he's so cute". Then he got a bit closer and her and the other girls changed their tune and it was all " nah, he's ugly, he's gross". I had a look and told them that at it was Angus Graham, he plays for Richmond. Then it all became "he's so cute, look at him, I wanna ask him out"

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back