Most of teams around us are improving thier list!

Remove this Banner Ad

Many sides have made smart moves, but I don't really see how Adelaide could have drastically improved their side via trading on availability, other than maybe moving Griffin along for an above market value deal and/or pursuing Davis.

Noticed this from the main board basically every team around us is improving their list apart from us.

Saints - get lovett and lose ball - net improvement considering their needs i'd say
Geelong - no room to move with the cap
WB - Hall - A little bit old but at least gives them a tall target for little cost
Collingwood - Ball + Jolly - If they pull it off could be big movers
Lions - Fev + some duds - Priming their list for a crack at a flag
carlton - not so much with the fev trade (their hand was forced somewhat) but mclean is an improvement.
essendon - tried for burgoyne
hawks - Burgoyne, gibson
You only trade to improve your list what is out their that would improve us.Also we don't have anyone we don't want just hope ghe boys over their ard winning on the punt

We need to get Rhode from port. How do they keep doing gun trades like Shultz. What a steal! great replacement for tredders, they wont miss a beat.

Our recruting department is obviously inept :thumbsdown: We are going backwards while Port and Brisbane load up on talent. Sack them all. New coach too please.
:thumbsu:

True. But there's no doubting a list can be improved in a big way during trade week.

The only way you get a "big" improvement is if you let draft picks go. So it's short term gain for possible longer term problems. Freo's history is littered with lost draft picks for established players. Not to say trading is wrong, just that not trading isn't necessarially wrong either.

We can only get a really good player by giving up our first round pick and I don't think we should given where our list is at. I'd rather keep building via the draft for now. In 1 or 2 years we may feel we have the enough young guys to sacrifice our first round pick a la Hawthorn and Collingwood this year.

The only player in the market i would have considered improves our list (v the lost 1st round pick) is Luke Ball however the chances of him agreeing to move to Adelaide would have been small and I'm not 100% convinced on him anyway.

Jolly.
Lovett.
Ball.
McLean.

Brisbane, under Voss, are showing just how inexperienced they really are - they're a trading just to look like aggressive traders looking like they have no idea what they are actually doing.

agree

Brisbane may get Fev and that is a tick however they have given up two up comming midfield types in Dalziell & Rischitelli

Bradshaw and MacDonald also look like leaving the club

who else has the lions gained

Buchanan :thumbsdown:, Staker :thumbsdown: and Raines :thumbsdown: and there is talk of X Clarke from St Kilda :thumbsdown:

Fev and Brown are AA forwards however when you look at the rest there is plenty of C Graders on their list

so who out of the players on the move (that would be willing to come to Adelaide) would improve our list?

This debate goes on every single year, you can't in 1 trade week improve your list. If the right type of player comes up then yes make a move but how many forward crumbers have come on the market that we can get?

I realise that like Brisbane we could be a bit more aggressive but to what point?
But here you are assuming that every name that has been put up for a trade has been reported and we know about it.

I am pretty sure that there would be players that are seen as tradeable by their team but the question are we prepared to pay the price for that player.

The point is that the public doesn't know 20% of players that are tradeable. I do agree that we shouldn't be trading for trading sake but we should be strategic in our trading. I don't think there would be anything wrong to look at other clubs' lists and see the players that are not getting a game or are out of favour and target them Similarly to what Sydney did with Mattner and we did with Moran, Symes, Patful etc over the years.

Its also a matter of saying "OK we think we have enough or maybe an excess of type X players and we need a type Y player to better balance our list". With us, it sounds like if a player doesn't ask for a trade we won't trade him even if he have enough of similar type players.

Classic example was Griffin last year. Let me put my hand up by saying I did not want to trade him last year. But the club should know their players inside out and I am sure if we were open to listening offers for him last year, we could have come away with a MUCH better deal than we would this year.

Not only that but we are really at a great risk of losing Griffin for nothing at the end of 2010. If he has another year in 2010 like he did this year, then I am certain he walks for sweet **** all to Gold Coast where he will get shitloads of playing time. So now we are a bit under the pump here. Risk losing him for nothing next year when his contract expires, or trade him for less than he is worth this year just to salvage something here. This has been brought up entirely by our own lack of proactivness in trade week.

Trade week is not about ripping off another team and getting away with robbery (though you certainly do it if you can) but its about trading for an equally talented player that fits your needs and system better. Thats what trade week is about. It about getting to the point where what you trade in is a better fit than what you trade out and by doing that you are improving as a team.

Jolly.
Lovett.
Ball.
McLean.

Brisbane, under Voss, are showing just how inexperienced they really are - they're a trading just to look like aggressive traders looking like they have no idea what they are actually doing.

OK here we go:

Jolly: Wanted to move to Melbourne, not an option.
Lovett: Stated he got offered more money than what he accepted at the Saints, wanted to stay in Melbourne, not an option.
Ball: Please, would no way improve our list.
McLean: Even bigger please then Ball, would no way improve our list.

PS Apologies, I am tired and re-read your post, thought it was a dig at the Crows but appears it wasn't...

But here you are assuming that every name that has been put up for a trade has been reported and we know about it.

I am pretty sure that there would be players that are seen as tradeable by their team but the question are we prepared to pay the price for that player.

The point is that the public doesn't know 20% of players that are tradeable. I do agree that we shouldn't be trading for trading sake but we should be strategic in our trading. I don't think there would be anything wrong to look at other clubs' lists and see the players that are not getting a game or are out of favour and target them Similarly to what Sydney did with Mattner and we did with Moran, Symes, Patful etc over the years.

Its also a matter of saying "OK we think we have enough or maybe an excess of type X players and we need a type Y player to better balance our list". With us, it sounds like if a player doesn't ask for a trade we won't trade him even if he have enough of similar type players.

Classic example was Griffin last year. Let me put my hand up by saying I did not want to trade him last year. But the club should know their players inside out and I am sure if we were open to listening offers for him last year, we could have come away with a MUCH better deal than we would this year.

Not only that but we are really at a great risk of losing Griffin for nothing at the end of 2010. If he has another year in 2010 like he did this year, then I am certain he walks for sweet **** all to Gold Coast where he will get shitloads of playing time. So now we are a bit under the pump here. Risk losing him for nothing next year when his contract expires, or trade him for less than he is worth this year just to salvage something here. This has been brought up entirely by our own lack of proactivness in trade week.

Trade week is not about ripping off another team and getting away with robbery (though you certainly do it if you can) but its about trading for an equally talented player that fits your needs and system better. Thats what trade week is about. It about getting to the point where what you trade in is a better fit than what you trade out and by doing that you are improving as a team.

I agree with what your saying Stiffy, but why would anyone think the Crows aren't going down this path?

I think we had a bit of debate on this one. I also included Reilly as a player we should have traded last year and still think that way. 2-3 extra picks in the 20-30 range last year would have been very handy.

Anyway Jolly is off to Collingwood for pick 16 and a pick in the 40s. Do we make a play for Cameron Wood and offer pick 13? Basically what Collingwood paid for him. Seem to come on pretty well towards the end of the season. With Fraser as well Wood will be playing second ruck at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we had a bit of debate on this one. I also included Reilly as a player we should have traded last year and still think that way. 2-3 extra picks in the 20-30 range last year would have been very handy.

Anyway Jolly is off to Collingwood for pick 16 and a pick in the 40s. Do we make a play for Cameron Wood and offer pick 13? Basically what Collingwood paid for him. Seem to come on pretty well towards the end of the season. With Fraser as well Wood will be playing second ruck at best.

Its Pick 14 and 46 for Jolly.

Adelaide has a surplus of certain types of players and is refusing to trade dead wood. Im still annoyed we resigned a certain player who regardless of how well he plays next season should have been let go.

I cant see the befit of keeping Griffen on the list for another year when we have, Maric, Moran, Sellar, McKernan and even Tippett who can play in the ruck. I would rather use a late pick on a Ruckman from the SANFL or WAFL then keep Griffen.

so who out of the players on the move (that would be willing to come to Adelaide) would improve our list?

This debate goes on every single year, you can't in 1 trade week improve your list. If the right type of player comes up then yes make a move but how many forward crumbers have come on the market that we can get?

I realise that like Brisbane we could be a bit more aggressive but to what point?

Is there a premiership team in recent history that hasn't made a significant trade to improve their list.
hawthorn: Guerra, Croad, Dew
Geelong: Ottens
Port: Pickett
Brisbane: Michael
Essendon: Barnes
Crows: Jarman
Who could the crows say has made the difference for us in 2010, 2011?

We need to get Rhode from port. How do they keep doing gun trades like Shultz. What a steal! great replacement for tredders, they wont miss a beat.

Our recruting department is obviously inept :thumbsdown: We are going backwards while Port and Brisbane load up on talent. Sack them all. New coach too please.

If this is a serious post you are a dead set moron. The only thing inept is you you fool.

If this is a serious post you are a dead set moron. The only thing inept is you you fool.

Are you kidding? Pick #13 in the 2002 draft, 71 games in 7 seasons,
Schultz is a dead-set gold pick-up! He can play forward or back, tall as timber, he even got two Brownlow votes back in 2004. Look at these stats:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-richmond-tigers--jay-schulz

and remember that time he played that amazing game against... um...

Anyways, he'll slot right in down at Alberton. In the SANFL seconds.

Is there a premiership team in recent history that hasn't made a significant trade to improve their list.

Pick #45 in the 2007 National Draft, not a trade

People seem to love this argument.

It's fair to say every premiership side would include a traded player given that even the most inactive club (us) would make at least one trade over 2-3 seasons.

On the flip side there are many examples of clubs that have traded up to cash in on a premiership window and have failed. If it doesnt work you are quickly back to square one.

I reckon the only way we will ever get somebody if note is if they leave their club and elect to come to us. It's not that simple, you only have to look at what's on the table for burgoyne and hes ports best player. We aren't going to snare a gun for Reilly/Griffin + a pick.

FFS trade week is not the be all and end all of AFL

I do get the feeling that some want to trade for the sake of trading.

If Cooney wants to come home then we can give away all our picks, but I for one look forward to the end of trade week. Not a fan of the meat market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of teams around us are improving thier list!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back