Most of teams around us are improving thier list!

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no doubting that trading is a very important part in building a premiership team. As for this year, who knows whose right. There were definately players up for grabs who could have improved our 22 - whether they would have been willing to come to Adelaide is another story.

In the next few years with compromised drafts, clubs will be trading aggressively. Lets hope Craig can overcame his dislike for trading, our chances at that elusive 3rd premiership may depend on it.

so Brisbane and Voss, and Geelong don't know anything about culture?

Jury is still out on Voss. Looks good, but who knows what the shock of this year's trade period will mean. And Geelong has never been an incredibly active trader. Not of players for strategic reason (other than Maloney, maybe).

That being said, I actually think players who are still at the club never think they could be next to be traded. they just think it's something that happens to other people. We SHOULD be doing more.

Jury is still out on Voss. Looks good, but who knows what the shock of this year's trade period will mean. And Geelong has never been an incredibly active trader. Not of players for strategic reason (other than Maloney, maybe).

That being said, I actually think players who are still at the club never think they could be next to be traded. they just think it's something that happens to other people. We SHOULD be doing more.

Voss has certainly gambled, if the Lions miss Fev that now looks likely I would say the Brisbane's list has gone backwards

Raines, X Clarke, Buchanan and Staker are all SPUDS

Look out Kurt Tippett....theres a new king in this town

15076.jpg

Haha...and he is about to land on your other acquisition...Jay Nash!!

Am I correct in saying that we normally announce delistings on the Friday of trade week, once it is officially over? I seem to remember that being the case.

I reckon we did last year at least.

In days gone by we used to do the delistments in the week afer trade week, but in recent times it's been on the Friday afternoon. Put some players out of their misery and provide relief to others.

It's a very small pool to be spoken to this year

Cameron Wood for pick 13

Why? What has he done that Maric and Griffin haven't? Had a couple of half decent games, his game against us wasn't that good, for a bloke who had 6 and 8 cm on our ruckman, he should have at least won the taps which IIRC, he didn't, he just happened to sneak forward and take a couple of grabs and kick 2 goals. Over the course of their careers, Maric has shown himself to be a far more consistent ruckman and both Maric and Griff have kicked goals in the past when thrown forwards. I'm sorry, but just don't understand this fascination everyone has with Wood, he's as much chance of stepping up and being a dominant ruckman next year as Maric, Moran or Griffin are. Unless we're picking up a Cox, Sandilands, Jolly, McIntosh quality ruckman, or one with the potential of a Kruezer or Naitanui, then I don't really see the point, considering the young, developing ruck stocks we have.

I reckon we did last year at least.

In days gone by we used to do the delistments in the week afer trade week, but in recent times it's been on the Friday afternoon. Put some players out of their misery and provide relief to others.

It's a very small pool to be spoken to this year

Nah, '07 we announced them straight away, last year we waited till the next week.

well he did play in and contribute to the strongest culture od recent times. Those brisbane boys were all in it together and pioneered the pay cut to stay togethet thing.

that I agree with. no one ever thinks anything is happening to them, and if they're professional they'll get on with it. if they're not, you are best shot of them any way.

Look out Kurt Tippett....theres a new king in this town

15076.jpg

ok, that made me smile :D

that said, I think its a good trade for Port. Farmer has no value, none at all. maybe less than none. and who nows Schulz has some talent, and in a defensive role and a change of scenery, seems a good gamble to me.

upside, with no downside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss has certainly gambled, if the Lions miss Fev that now looks likely I would say the Brisbane's list has gone backwards

Raines, X Clarke, Buchanan and Staker are all SPUDS

who could fail to be persuaded by such singular analysis. I think it was the caps at the end that clinched it. oh, and the other 17 times you posted the same thing. :)

Add Pendelberry, Fraser etc to collingwood and they would say they would have beaten us by more.

Pendlebury yes, Fraser, not so much.

Macca - how do you feel about Schulz? Has to have been drafted as a back, but you've already got a couple of decent defenders; why grab Schulz when you've still got Tredrea and Westhoff (even if he's only average), and Stewart and Salter basically demanding a spot?

Well Brisbane have certainly strengthened their list. A forward line like no other in the history of the game with the two power forwards in Fevola and Brown and still retaining Bradshaw (although he may be moved back). Amazing trading by Voss and co. Wonder if this short term gain will work in the long run though?

ok, that made me smile :D

that said, I think its a good trade for Port. Farmer has no value, none at all. maybe less than none. and who nows Schulz has some talent, and in a defensive role and a change of scenery, seems a good gamble to me.

upside, with no downside.

Farmer does have little to no trade value; out of sight, out of mind; but Schulz is as ordinary as they come.

Nothing trade on their part, and if Richmond had the development environment of so much as an SANFL club they could mould Farmer into something more than Port could Schulz.

Well Brisbane have certainly strengthened their list. A forward line like no other in the history of the game with the two power forwards in Fevola and Brown and still retaining Bradshaw (although he may be moved back). Amazing trading by Voss and co. Wonder if this short term gain will work in the long run though?

On paper it certainly looks good, but I'd seriously worry about how Brown and Fevola would work together in the same forward line. Brown has learnt to play with Bradshaw, but even then he was still the number 1 target, Fev's a whole different kettle of fish. Maybe you push Brown further up the ground, but even then, I'm not sure this is a trade Brisbane should have been making.

I may be wrong and it'll be interesting to see how it goes, but I'm just not convinced that trading a promising you KPP, who could have potentially come in and taken over from Bradshaw in the next year or so, for a bloke who's not much younger than Bradshaw is really the way to go.

However Voss did a hell of a lot better than I expected he would this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he knew exactly what he was doing.

the Lions have strengthened their forward line however not necessarily their list

Im not getting too carried away with the Lions just yet, IMO the Buddy and Roughead combination is potentially as lethal and look at the contrast of results it can deliver from one year to the next

IMO Brisbane's top 6 players is very good Brown, Fev, Black, Adcock, Rich and Drummond however it falls away there after and my view is that their list has too many C graders and this has been compounded with the pick up of Buchanan, Raines, Staker and X Clarke.

If the Lions dont win a flag in the next 2 years they will become the next Carlton of the Pagan years

Congrats to the AFC for showing confidence in their list

that confidence and loyalty will be rewarded by our playing group

this is what builds culture and success

the Lions have strengthened their forward line however not necessarily their list

Im not getting too carried away with the Lions just yet, IMO the Buddy and Roughead combination is potentially as lethal and look at the contrast of results it can deliver from one year to the next

IMO Brisbane's top 6 players is very good Brown, Fev, Black, Adcock, Rich and Drummond however it falls away there after and my view is that their list has too many C graders and this has been compounded with the pick up of Buchanan, Raines, Staker and X Clarke.

If the Lions dont win a flag in the next 2 years they will become the next Carlton of the Pagan years
I am not so sure.

They have some big time talent on their list. Fev and Brown give them great 2 pronged attack and if you add Bradshaw (if he doesn't retire) into that equation and you have a 3 pronged attach that EVERY backline in the league will find it hard to match up on. How they mesh will be interesting but they can kick massive scores.

Their midfield with Black, Power, Rich and Adcock as their first unit is pretty good. Add to that a couple of very good young ruckmen in Clarke and the big Burger and you will win more battles than you lose. Then come in the depth players like Drummond, Sherman, Rischetelli who are all good footballers in their own right.

Their key defesinve posts are fine if they can keep them on the park. Both Patful and Merrett are under-rated players.

There is NO doubt that the Lions have improved this trade period. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know much about thier list or is just plain ignorant.

No one came up in trade week that I would desperately want in our team.
Jolly maybe but what would we give up for him? probably too much...

I would prefer to see 3 new picks to develop before the draft is compromised by concessions.

This years draft may be shallow but with our recruiting department Im sure we will be able to find a diamond or two in the rough.

I am not so sure.

They have some big time talent on their list. Fev and Brown give them great 2 pronged attack and if you add Bradshaw (if he doesn't retire) into that equation and you have a 3 pronged attach that EVERY backline in the league will find it hard to match up on. How they mesh will be interesting but they can kick massive scores.

Their midfield with Black, Power, Rich and Adcock as their first unit is pretty good. Add to that a couple of very good young ruckmen in Clarke and the big Burger and you will win more battles than you lose. Then come in the depth players like Drummond, Sherman, Rischetelli who are all good footballers in their own right.

Their key defesinve posts are fine if they can keep them on the park. Both Patful and Merrett are under-rated players.

There is NO doubt that the Lions have improved this trade period. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know much about thier list or is just plain ignorant.

They certainly are going for the prize whilst Brown is still at the club ........think they believe their window of opportunity is now.

Not sure I would have given Henderson away .....a 19 YO CHF who I think is very talented

But giving picks away in this draft is not a bad strategy if you get the result the Lions have ........ the fact so many clubs despatched so easily their first round picks says everything about the draft

Congrats to the AFC for showing confidence in their list

that confidence and loyalty will be rewarded by our playing group

this is what builds culture and success

:thumbsu: Believe popular opinion is we have assembled a great list .....not hearing many moans

There's still heaps of development in this list in terms of building the bodies up, getting experience, and football education.

The players at the AFC know that the club doesn't run a butcher shop .....and you're correct that builds "some" loyalty & team harmony going into next season.

But then again do we have any massive holes in our list .......despite calls for midfielders and small forwrds I believe we can still cover adequately some of those requirements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of teams around us are improving thier list!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back