Most overated Player playing Now

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Bulldog1954
Chris Grant had a bad 2002, no one said he played well and he regularly got bagged in the media. Every other year of his career he has been outstanding, people rave on about a guy like Rocca yet Grant has put together at least 8 seasons better then Roccas best season.

And please tell me when a Bulldog fan has ever said Grant was as good as Carey, I think you'll find what Bulldog fans often say is that he would be regarded more highly by the football public if he wasn't playing at the same time as Carey. Carey is far and away the best CHF of recent years, Grant is by far and away the second best.

There is no doubt that Carey was the better CHF, but Grant's best position is CHB and in that capacity he often took it up to Carey and at times probably beat him. Again, he was not as good as Carey was, but to say he isn't even in Carey's shadow is wrong.

And if you are wondering why Grant is so highly regarded by bulldogs supporters, it is because he has shown time and time again that in addition to being a quality footballer he is a quality person and would never be caught rogering his best friend's wife in the bathroom. But I digress...

Originally posted by speedy
A few young forwards have been mentioned ~

Brown
Riewalt
Tredrea
Fraser
Tarrent
A.Rocca

A talented group but yet to win everyone over.

Just goes to show how f*cking good Carey was. At age 21/22 he was the captain of his team, and at the top of his game. He had very few rivals even at that age.

Did you know that Riewoldt took more marks in last years home and away season than Carey EVER did in a home and away season? and that he turned 20 after the season was over. Might go to show how f*cking good Riewoldt was ;)

Granted he has a way to go but.....

Originally posted by Falchoon
Did you know that Riewoldt took more marks in last years home and away season than Carey EVER did in a home and away season? and that he turned 20 after the season was over. Might go to show how f*cking good Riewoldt was ;)

Granted he has a way to go but.....

It seems ridiculous to be comparing Riewoldt with Carey already, but that statistic is scary.

The thing is, if by chance Riewoldt doesn't improve at all, then he will still be one of the best players in the league.

Ouch.

Originally posted by Lockyer24
1. Matthew Primus
2. Matthew Pavlich
3. Warren Tredrea
4. Mark Ricciuto
5. Travis Johnstone
6. Chris Grant
7. Dustin Fletcher
8. Daniel Chick
9. James Clement
10. Mal Michael

I'd gladly have all those players in my side.

Neon Leon, Fraser and Gaspar would have to be more over rated than all this lot.

1. Matthew Primus
2. Matthew Pavlich
3. Warren Tredrea
4. Mark Ricciuto
5. Travis Johnstone
6. Chris Grant
7. Dustin Fletcher
8. Daniel Chick
9. James Clement
10. Mal Michael

Ahh of course I forgot that all Australian players were overated......
I mean as if tarrant deserves to be on that list or fraser.

1. Matthew Primus
2. Matthew Pavlich
3. Warren Tredrea
4. Mark Ricciuto
5. Travis Johnstone
6. Chris Grant
7. Dustin Fletcher
8. Daniel Chick
9. James Clement
10. Mal Michael

Mark Riccuito???? Surely you mean under rated. He is so tough its scary, his attack on the ball is unbelievable and he has been performing at a high level for years, not to mention his finals performances. You must be kidding.
And Travis Johnstone was no good, but last year he was very good and was finally living up to his potential

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Matthew Primus
2. Matthew Pavlich
3. Warren Tredrea
4. Mark Ricciuto
5. Travis Johnstone
6. Chris Grant
7. Dustin Fletcher
8. Daniel Chick
9. James Clement
10. Mal Michael
All Australian Ruckman, fullback and CHF in just the first three.
Who said Collingwood supporters know nothing about football??

Originally posted by Paralowiepower
All Australian Ruckman, fullback and CHF is just the first three.
Who said Collingwood supporters know nothing about football??

First smart thing youve said so far this morning. Primus is definitely one of the best ruckmen in the AFL and not overrated like some other players. (Tredrea):D

No he didnt

Fraser actually got on the park in his first year
Oppo supporters seem to be of the opinion that Fraser is 2+ years older than Riewoldt and that Riewoldt is "far more advanced at this stage of his career".

The truth is they are 9 months apart in age and given their different frames and style of play, one would expect them to mature at different rates anyway.

From what I recall, Fraser had a pretty bloody good 2001 and was hampered by OP in 2002.

I also agree with the oppo supporters that Fraser is soft overhead, but to question his hardness for the ball is laughable.

And please tell me when a Bulldog fan has ever said Grant was as good as Carey, I think you'll find what Bulldog fans often say is that he would be regarded more highly by the football public if he wasn't playing at the same time as Carey. Carey is far and away the best CHF of recent years, Grant is by far and away the second best.

dream on bulldog1954.

where is the finals appearances to back up this call, as well as the other great bulldog players who i would rate above grant in the last 8 yrs

libba
smith
johnson just to name a few

Originally posted by shiva25
In fairness to Brown he was injured for most of last year but will be Carey like in years to come

Thanks, Shiva25 - I couldn't have said it better.

Also Mal Michael has been great for us - he may not have set the Pies alight, but he does it for us!!

Chris Grant had a bad 2002, no one said he played well and he regularly got bagged in the media. Every other year of his career he has been outstanding, people rave on about a guy like Rocca yet Grant has put together at least 8 seasons better then Roccas best season.

IMO Grant was over rated pre 2002. He is a very good player but does not impact games like a great player. Dermie was batter than Grant IMO. Lowe was as good as Grant IMO. There have been few other top shelf CHF's of recent years. A few had a good season or two.

Grant has definately done more than Rocca and was better at every stage of their comparable ages. I don't dispute that but nor do I think Rocca is rated nearly as highly as Grant. Not many people rave on about Rocca outside of Collingwood. In fact he is under rated by the football public IMO. He is considered unfit which is just wrong. He is considered - or at least used to be - soft in some quarters which is far from the truth. I agree Collingwood people rave about him though. I happen to think he is a very good impact player. He is not a 120 min game controller in the carey or even Grant mould. He is an explosive athlete more in the Ablett mould. I'm making direct comparrisons there just using player types to illustrate a point.

Originally posted by Bjay
Thanks, Shiva25 - I couldn't have said it better.

Whether a blokes injured or not doesn't affect whether he's over-rated as it doesn't change what he *has* done. In terms of 2002 Brown was over-rated. In terms of what he may do in 2003, who knows.

Originally posted by Dave
Whether a blokes injured or not doesn't affect whether he's over-rated as it doesn't change what he *has* done. In terms of 2002 Brown was over-rated. In terms of what he may do in 2003, who knows.

I tend to disagree - one year doesn't a career make - (tho' for some one *game* is a career) - Browny is not overrated, same as (M) Voss is not overrated - Vossy had a very bad time with his broken leg, but no-one ever said he was overrated.

Originally posted by Bjay
I tend to disagree - one year doesn't a career make - (tho' for some one *game* is a career) - Browny is not overrated, same as (M) Voss is not overrated - Vossy had a very bad time with his broken leg, but no-one ever said he was overrated.

Voss had won a brownlow before he broke his leg from memory and had played for more than 2 seasons. Brown's injuries this year were in no way comparable to Voss's.

If Brown plays well this year then well and good, but if he has another ordinary season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overated Player playing Now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back