Most overated Player playing Now

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Lockyer24

6. Chris Grant

Your clubs coach disagrees with you.

We all know Grant had a dissapointng 2002, but in 2001 Mick Malthouse did his own All Australian team and guess who the CHF was???

And did I mention Malthouse also had Grant captain??

Originally posted by mighty mick
dream on bulldog1954.

where is the finals appearances to back up this call, as well as the other great bulldog players who i would rate above grant in the last 8 yrs

libba
smith
johnson just to name a few

First of all your a fool if you rate any of those, particularly Smith ahead of Grant. The only Bulldog you could possibly rate ahead of him is West, you didn't even mention him. And if you just don't believe what you have heard but have a look at how Grant has gone in recent Bulldogs finals you'll see Grant isn't the one to blame

Chris Grant in recent finals:

v Sydney - 15 kicks, 5 handballs, 9 marks and 3 goals
v Adelaide - 10 kicks, 9 handballs, 8 marks and 2 goals

In 1997 if everyone had have followed Grant and Wests lead we'd have a flag

vWest Coast - 14 kicks, 7 handballs, 7 marks and 4 goals
v Adelaide - 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 6 marks and 1 goal

Dominated against the Eagles, had a poor one against Adelaide against Caven. Not sure if he played well the 68 point difference would have been reversed

v West Coast - 15 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks
v Brisbane - 12 kicks, 4 handballs, 7 marks and 4 goals

Great finals series by Grant. Against West Coast that 20 touches and 7 marks was in the scrappiest finals I have seen, where the ground was woeful and there weren't more then 20 goals kicked for the night, not bad for a man as big as him. Against Brisbane he was one of a few Bul;ldogs to stand up, 16 touches and 4 goals can't be bagged

v Brisbane - 9 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks and 3 goals

Grant not performing in finals is a myth. Because our club has performed poorly in finals our big name player, Grant has got the blame when Grant along with West have been our best players in finals. The facts are he averages more goals, kicks, marks and handballs in finals then in regular season games, not a bad effort. Those who say Grant is over rated are basing it on one year, 2002. In 2001 many had him CHF in their All Aussie teams, his 2000 was better then his 2001 and from 1996-1999 he was one of the best 5 players in the league, and behind Carey the best CHF

Originally posted by MarkT
Nick Holland is a clear winner IMO. He was a promising youngster who never made much impact due to from, confidence, technique and injury problems.

That same Nick Holland that gave Rocca a towelling when he played on him, you know that Rocca that nearly won the Woods a Premiership.

That the Nick Holland your talking about?... No idea Mark on this one. Good solid footballer, nobodys ever rated him as the best CHF in the league but he was/is up with the leading bunch after Carey in that era. Never made an impact.. pfft.

Originally posted by Dave
Voss had won a brownlow before he broke his leg from memory and had played for more than 2 seasons. Brown's injuries this year were in no way comparable to Voss's.

If Brown plays well this year then well and good, but if he has another ordinary season...

Of course, you're right about Voss - but his was the only name I could come up with at the time (I had a temporary (or semi-permanent) memory lock-up), but my point is that Browny has showed potential, and a not so great year, because of injuries, should not be cause to alter his rating. He is simply a young player, with heaps of potential, and is rated as such.

If he had been fully fit all season, and didn't have a good year, then perhaps we wouldn't be having this conversation. This year will be a good one for him, IMHO.

Originally posted by Grendel
That same Nick Holland that gave Rocca a towelling when he played on him, you know that Rocca that nearly won the Woods a Premiership.
Towling? To be honest I don't recall the match that well but I do recall Holland did ok. I recall that because I was surprised. Anyway, if you define a players ability according to his performance on Rocca then you rate Rocca higher than most non Collingwood supporters.
Originally posted by Grendel
No idea Mark on this one. Good solid footballer, nobodys ever rated him as the best CHF in the league but he was/is up with the leading bunch after Carey in that era. Never made an impact.. pfft.
But he played CHB in the game you mentioned above?
I said he never made much impact not any but I admit that was probably a poorly thought out description. The post was about being over rated. I should have said he never made the significant impact his rating would have indicated he should. I don't rate him in the bunch after Carey. I would rate him well behind Lowe and Grant for instance. I would definately agree with the good solid footballer description had he had a more sound body and therefore played more and been able to maintain form due to more prolonged playing runs at full or near full fitness.

Originally posted by Rohan_
James Hird is the most overrated footballer in the AFL. He averages less than 20 disposals per game.
I thought Brereton's call of a few years back was and still is correct - overpaid. That is based on actual production. He is not over rated, just over paid based on production. His market value up's his pay because he is not over rated. In other words, he is "over paid" because he could get the same or similar money elsewhere because he can actually play top shelf footy and does reasonably regularly. He is widely thought of as a very talent but somewhat fragile footballer capable of either winning a game or breaking down. that is about right IMO.

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Originally posted by Bulldog1954
First of all your a fool if you rate any of those, particularly Smith ahead of Grant. The only Bulldog you could possibly rate ahead of him is West, you didn't even mention him. And if you just don't believe what you have heard but have a look at how Grant has gone in recent Bulldogs finals you'll see Grant isn't the one to blame

Chris Grant in recent finals:

v Sydney - 15 kicks, 5 handballs, 9 marks and 3 goals
v Adelaide - 10 kicks, 9 handballs, 8 marks and 2 goals

In 1997 if everyone had have followed Grant and Wests lead we'd have a flag

vWest Coast - 14 kicks, 7 handballs, 7 marks and 4 goals
v Adelaide - 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 6 marks and 1 goal

Dominated against the Eagles, had a poor one against Adelaide against Caven. Not sure if he played well the 68 point difference would have been reversed

v West Coast - 15 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks
v Brisbane - 12 kicks, 4 handballs, 7 marks and 4 goals

Great finals series by Grant. Against West Coast that 20 touches and 7 marks was in the scrappiest finals I have seen, where the ground was woeful and there weren't more then 20 goals kicked for the night, not bad for a man as big as him. Against Brisbane he was one of a few Bul;ldogs to stand up, 16 touches and 4 goals can't be bagged

v Brisbane - 9 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks and 3 goals

Grant not performing in finals is a myth. Because our club has performed poorly in finals our big name player, Grant has got the blame when Grant along with West have been our best players in finals. The facts are he averages more goals, kicks, marks and handballs in finals then in regular season games, not a bad effort. Those who say Grant is over rated are basing it on one year, 2002. In 2001 many had him CHF in their All Aussie teams, his 2000 was better then his 2001 and from 1996-1999 he was one of the best 5 players in the league, and behind Carey the best CHF
Thats one finals game out of 7 where he hasn't performed (Caven was on fire at that stage) and still this myth about him not playing well in big games persists.Too many people listen to the media rather than watching the games and making there own opinion.I can name countless other big games where he was in our best 2 or 3 players.IMO Grant has suffered alot from being positioned further up the ground than most centre half forwards when he was in his prime.He didnt kick as many big bags as some players and it has affected his reputation since.

Originally posted by FIGJAM
Oh and by the way, the most overrated player in the AFL today is Damien Hardwick.

:p

Dream on

The most overrated player today is Glen Manton - what a hack.

All Australians aren't exempt from being overrated. And a few of you are once again getting overrated mixed up with whether I rate them or not. Sure most of the players on the list are good footballers, but their perceived worth within the football public does not match up to where I rate them. So stop having a sook if I pick on one of your clubs players.

Pavlichs AA selection was a shocker, Mark Ricciutos selection was almost as ridiculous and don't get me started on Primus. Not even in the top 2 ruckman in the league.

I dunno where you are all pulling Leon Davis from, he's been a victim for negative remarks from oppositon supporters ever since he started. I'd really like to know which neutral supporters have ever claimed he was a great player. He's unrated, not overrated.

Personally you know your club is in a good position when all the players getting picked on at your club are barely 21.

Originally posted by dogboy23
IMO Grant has suffered alot from being positioned further up the ground than most centre half forwards when he was in his prime.He didnt kick as many big bags as some players and it has affected his reputation since.

Exactly

The one season Grant spent close to the goals, 1994 when he was mainly full forward he kicked 74 goals and took 185 marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over-rated players for me are Gasper & Tarrant. Tarrant needs to be careful he doesn't become another Fevola. :eek:

L24, I would have to disagree with just about all of your over-rated list (Primus, Roo - lol), including your own James Clement - surely there are plenty of other Pies players who are over-rated (ie. Molloy, Fraser, Davis, etc).

Most overrated player in the league is Josh Francou. Can't kick under pressure. A big problem for a bloke who gets the ball as often as he does.

Fraser will have an O.K. career, as long as nobody expects him to be 'Polly' Farmer.

To call Robran overrated is risible. As a former Fitzroy supporter, the highest accolade I can give him is that he was as good as Quinlan, and in fact, played similarly.

Grant is and always was an out and out champion, as is James Hird.

Agree that it's too early to say about Jonathon Brown, but I'd rather have him for us than agin' us.

James Hird is the most overrated footballer in the AFL. He averages less than 20 disposals per game.

ur a d*ck head.
Agree with Mark_T that he was overpaid but now he earns nothing from what he was earning.

Averages far more premierships than a lot of the Collingwood players.

Hird earns his posessions unlike some other players who hang outside packs and wait for the ball to be handed to them on a silver platter.

Often James Hird is bracketed with Buckley and Voss. That is why he is overrated, he ain't in their ball park.

Buckley and Voss touch the ball 30 times during a game, Hird touches it 19 times. As far as use of the ball goes I would rather Voss and Buckley's disposal over Hird's anyday.

Originally posted by Squeak
How many of these players are overrated by anyone other than their own supporters?

This thread is pointless.
I agree, nobody is being honest and admitting that a player from there club they support is over-rated. :eek:

Originally posted by da_bomber
Hird earns his posessions unlike some other players who hang outside packs and wait for the ball to be handed to them on a silver platter.

Look at the facts sunshine, look at the facts.

Originally posted by LionsForever
I agree, nobody is being honest and admitting that a player from there club they support is over-rated. :eek:

OK then, Chris Tarrant is overrated.

Mike Sheahan had him at number 30 at the start of the year, a joke.

He has potential but that's it so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overated Player playing Now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back