Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

LDU. Ball hog with average skills who constantly burns teammates.
Is as good as anyone at winning a hard footy but tries to do everything himself.
I reckon he gets caught htb more than any other player in the comp
Incredibly frustrating to watch at times. You can tell he doesn't trust his teammates to finish the job so tries to do too much himself. I get it, but at the same time, he's often not helping anyone. Zurhaar is guilty of similar. LDU isn't half the player Cripps was to a terrible Carlton. Who knows what kind of player he'll fill out to be if North become decent? But at the moment, he's not a midfielder you can build a team around.

I, like everybody, have loved watching Bontempelli play. He's absolutely a superstar of the modern game.

I'd rank him, with his current career trajectory, at a Dangerfield level. I suspect most on BigFooty would rate him a bit higher than that. So in that sense, technically I'd say Bontempelli is overrated. But only a bit.

Remember you can be a superstar and overrated. In fact it's far more likely than being a spud and being overrated.
He is a very good player, but has not reached the heights he was supposedly going to reach from an early age.

I wouldn’t put him up there with dangerfield Martin Franklin over his career. He is a rung below in terms of career output.

If people are calling him a generational talent then this proves my point, as that is contentious.

He is a very good player, but has not reached the heights he was supposedly going to reach from an early age.

I wouldn’t put him up there with dangerfield Martin Franklin over his career. He is a rung below in terms of career output.

If people are calling him a generational talent then this proves my point, as that is contentious.
Read this and thought ‘Who the **** is Martin Franklin?’.
Commas also overrated.

this post shows you dont understand what I meant by he is overrated. He is a very good player, he is not to the level of standard some make him out to be or what he was projected to be.
He will most likely end his career as the greatest Doggie ever. Not sure what other criteria is needed here to satisfy your criteria that at the end of the day is really subjective. Let’s agree to disagree OK?

He will most likely end his career as the greatest Doggie ever. Not sure what other criteria is needed here to satisfy your criteria that at the end of the day is really subjective. Let’s agree to disagree OK?
He is not going to even get close to surpassing teddy whitten as the bulldogs greatest. Only recency bias would blind that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m starting to waver on Bontempelli.

The guy is clearly a superstar. No argument there.
He has all the tools.
He wins his own ball. He doesn’t shirk anything. He’s a gun. No argument on any of those points.

The thing that makes me wonder whether his status is where it should be is this:

He’s spent a lot of his career as the best player in a team not STACKED with superstars but with a lot of very very good players. And yes they have won a flag. But as a team they have consistently underwhelmed so I’m sort of starting to wonder why hasn’t had more of an impact results wise on his team to this point

Harry Sheezel.

Racks up a bunch of meaningless footy (plenty of kick ins), chips it sideways and backwards, loves a 1-2 that takes the team nowhere.

Stats will tell you he’s an elite half back flanker but he is doing 0 to move North towards a win. Clarko will tell you it’s all apart of his development but he is doing very little actual defensive work.

Time to move him forward and make the most of his X factor and talent. The best players change games and fortunes and he can be that level of player.

Harry Sheezel.

Racks up a bunch of meaningless footy (plenty of kick ins), chips it sideways and backwards, loves a 1-2 that takes the team nowhere.

Stats will tell you he’s an elite half back flanker but he is doing 0 to move North towards a win. Clarko will tell you it’s all apart of his development but he is doing very little actual defensive work.

Time to move him forward and make the most of his X factor and talent. The best players change games and fortunes and he can be that level of player.
Can he be the GOAT?

Harry Sheezel.

He's what Daicos would have been the last couple years if he was drafted into a side with a shit list.

Cornes pointed it out on FC that he should be playing the Gryan Miers role, as he's got more than enough talent and skill to do so.

22 possessions with 10-15 score involvements is far more valuable than moving the ball sideways off halfback and having it 35 times.

Last edited:
He is not going to even get close to surpassing teddy whitten as the bulldogs greatest. Only recency bias would blind that

Never saw him play but have asked many past players and coaches still in the industry and they rate Ted Whitten very highly.
Those who are old enough to have seen him play can also attest to this.
Like Bontempelli, Whitten could play multiple positions but unlike Bont, could go back and ice a game in defense.
Probably a much more physical footballer too as Whitten was known as an enforcer in his day.

Shame so little vision exists of E.J.

He's what Daicos would have been the last couple years it was drafted into side with a s**t list.

Cornes pointed it out on FC that he should be playing the Gryan Miers role, as he's got more than enough talent and skill to do so.

22 possessions with 10-15 score involvements is far more valuable that moving the ball sideways off halfback and having it 35 times.

Except he doesn’t.

He had 2 of the best goal assists you would see today, kicked a goal himself and is 3rd in the entire league for meters gained. He doesn’t chip it sideways.

What more do you want from a guy playing about his 25th game?

And Isaac Heeney is the only player in the league who averages 10 score involvements a game this season, so that’s a bullshit expectation too…

Imagine calling him overrated after todays game, highest rated game of his career by a considerable margin 😂

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back