Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Now thats the worst take. The guy has the most elite ball handling skills in the game.
Best ground ball gatherer in the competition. The scary bit he's not really natural at it, just spent years working on it harder than everybody else.

Best ground ball gatherer in the competition. The scary bit he's not really natural at it, just spent years working on it harder than everybody else.
I can't wait for your bottom 50 again if you're still doing it.

I can't wait for your bottom 50 again if you're still doing it.
I'll have to rustle something up. Time's a bit of a factor at the moment. Too much material this year to miss completely though

Maybe Syndey is in a rut, maybe they're overtrained but what I saw in Warner last night is so far away from the hype it isn't funny.

Looked lost, got caught htb several times, poor disposal. He's not elite from what I saw.

I'll have to rustle something up. Time's a bit of a factor at the moment. Too much material this year to miss completely though
You're inspiring me to do my own little thing. I was thinking about my player of the year but I did a couple of rounds and it wasn't too dissimilar to the AFL coaches votes.

I'm considering a worst to best team for the season with writeup.

At this point, I can't work out who the most disappointing team is because there are too many.

The thread started off with a big self own.
Most over rated players are Whitfield, Rayner and Charlie Dixon.

Darcy Moore.

Never understood his hype as one of best backman in the league when there are multiple players that clear him by a mile, I mean there's 2 backman at the eagles who are far better for starters.
Barrass has never been a better player than Darcy Moore

Sam Walsh

Brad Hill
Callum Mills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me preface this nomination with the fact this does not mean I think this player is average or crap, just that their career performance doesn’t justify their current reputation.

Jake Waterman. 100 games, 123 goals, 26 years of age, 27 next year and it’s his first season where has kicked over 20 goals ever. I know he’s had had injuries and illness and he is dominating in an awful west coast side but it’s one season over a pretty long career so far.

Let me preface this nomination with the fact this does not mean I think this player is average or crap, just that their career performance doesn’t justify their current reputation.

Jake Waterman. 100 games, 123 goals, 26 years of age, 27 next year and it’s his first season where has kicked over 20 goals ever. I know he’s had had injuries and illness and he is dominating in an awful west coast side but it’s one season over a pretty long career so far.
how is he overrated at the moment?

he's a feel good, redemption story at the moment.

Next season, if he doesnt back up and he continues getting the praise, then he becomes overrated.

Never warmed to Andrew Brayshaw. Too plain.

Never warmed to Andrew Brayshaw. Too plain.

He is relatively plain.

He has some subtleties to his game that make him quality though. He doesn't burst out of contests forward like an LDU, but he has a nice bit of agility combined with composure and awareness when in traffic to release quality handballs.

His two way running is insane as well. He consistently makes run down tackles, quite often stopping a shot with a HTB tackle.

He spreads like a winger as well, very inside and outside, he has even played some wing this year when we have had Serong, Fyfe and Young in thr middle.

If given the go to role he would go close to 40 touches most weeks, but he's happy doing what ever role we need with the great balance of our midfield 3 atm.

I'm not really sure he's overrated. Serong and Young are getting all the praise atm. I don't often see Brayshaw hyped up too much anywhere, do you?

I'm not sure what the stats are after this week, but we are BY FAR the leading clearance team in the comp atm. We are over +150 clearances across the season. Next best is Sydney and Brisbane with +50, so we are tripple the next best.

Last edited:
Do people rate Hill?
Not really but he's on good money and a long contract until 2027.

Also Mills on big money and a long contract. 2029.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back