Remove this Banner Ad

bradydaw91

All Australian
Aug 4, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Belconnen
Seeing North getting belted by the crows today has all the usual critics coming out saying that they are the most overrated side in the competition. I am of the opinion that it is only round 1 and they will bounce back and prove people wrong. It got me thinking though. Each year there are teams that get thrown up as contenders but fail to reach that mark.

So which team of the modern era has been the most overrated in hindsight? 2012 was an interesting year as several sides bobbed up. But it was none other than Carlton that was at one stage the premiership favourite for smashing the pies(I believe) early in the season they end up losing to the suns, Ratten gets sacked and they miss the finals.

Seeing North getting belted by the crows today has all the usual critics coming out saying that they are the most overrated side in the competition. I am of the opinion that it is only round 1 and they will bounce back and prove people wrong. It got me thinking though. Each year there are teams that get thrown up as contenders but fail to reach that mark.

So which team of the modern era has been the most overrated in hindsight? 2012 was an interesting year as several sides bobbed up. But it was none other than Carlton that was at one stage the premiership favourite for smashing the pies(I believe) early in the season they end up losing to the suns, Ratten gets sacked and they miss the finals.

Round 3 2012. I'll admit I was very impressed with Carlton that night and thought they'd go far. But looking back they had blokes in the side like Armfield, Bower, Duigan, Hampson, Lucas among others... some very ordinary players there.

Your forgetting 2012 saw Blues hit with plenty of injuries that hampered the side the hole year. I don't think Blues even if made the finals would have gone deep but injuries definitely a factor. Don't discount the fact either that 2011 Blues were 1 goal away from a Prelim Final loosing interstate to Eagles without Gibbs, Waite or Kreuzer

Your forgetting 2012 saw Blues hit with plenty of injuries that hampered the side the hole year. I don't think Blues even if made the finals would have gone deep but injuries definitely a factor. Don't discount the fact either that 2011 Blues were 1 goal away from a Prelim Final loosing interstate to Eagles without Gibbs, Waite or Kreuzer
That's why giving them a premiership contender status was illogical as they didn't have the depth of say a Hawthorn(13-14) to cover their outs.

Why do you think that?

We overachieved massively in 2011/12. No one rates us currently and we've got most of the same players we've had for the last few years.
Fairly sure you were the flag favourite going into the 2013 season. His point has some validity. I think it's only this year that people have started to jump off WCE and that's with the injury to your best defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you think that?

We overachieved massively in 2011/12. No one rates us currently and we've got most of the same players we've had for the last few years.

Good forward line
Above average defence
Gun rucks

Midfield I think has ability but is obviously letting you down no one rated you this year but I think previous years they have

Hawks 09 would be one.

Collingwood post 2010 similarly. Not for the immediate performances of 11 but there was a serious consensus about potential dynasties throughout 2011.
Collingwood did look unstoppable at various stages in 2011. Still don't know how Geelong managed to trump them.

That's why giving them a premiership contender status was illogical as they didn't have the depth of say a Hawthorn(13-14) to cover their outs.

On paper wasn't such a bad team was it?
we still had Waite, Betts, Garlett and Walker playing as forwards. Don't forget either year before had 3 small forwards having career best seasons booting 50+ goals each with Judd winning the Brownlow 2 seasons earlier and Murphy coming off winning Best and Fairest plus an All Australian, also Gibbs coming off an improved year

I never thought were a genuine premiership threat but if had a year were injuries wouldn't be an issue would of saw Blues play finals, but not the case. But those the reason why punters at the time thought Blues would go deep in September but in my mind always thought Cats, Hawks would be the ones to beat

On paper wasn't such a bad team was it?
we still had Waite, Betts, Garlett and Walker playing as forwards. Don't forget either year before had 3 small forwards having career best seasons booting 50+ goals each with Judd winning the Brownlow 2 seasons earlier and Murphy coming off winning Best and Fairest plus an All Australian, also Gibbs coming off an improved year

I never thought were a genuine premiership threat but if had a year were injuries wouldn't be an issue would of saw Blues play finals, but not the case. But those the reason why punters at the time thought Blues would go deep in September but in my mind always thought Cats, Hawks would be the ones to beat
That's the thing though. You had pretty much all those players from 2012-14 and only once made the finals on 9 wins against a chokey Richmond.

Yeah I guess you could say we were overrated going into 2013, but we didn't have our AA ruck duo from the previous year as Naitanui had no pre-season and missed the first half a dozen, then got injured and missed the last few also. Given our midfield is so ordinary we relied on our ruck advantage a lot more than other teams. Kerr had zero impact in 2013 also and finished up. Anyone who didn't jump off during or after 2013 is very late to the party. Losing Mackenzie and now Brown really makes us a bottom 6 contender rather than just bottom 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated team of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back