Most overrated team of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

They've had a few Prelim eras.

Which one specifically?

2008/2009 especially seemed like a strong side to me and definitely talented enough to go all the way in another year. That Dogs team seemed to be a victim of poor timing (in that they it was up against Geelong at its absolute apex, along with outstanding Hawthorn and St Kilda teams) as much as anything else. By 2010, the Dogs were finished and were making up the numbers (despite still scraping in to the top four), no argument from me there.

I reckon it's like saying Geelong of the late 80s/early 90s was overrated. People can talk about the four grand final losses, but didn't Geelong simply come up against a better team every time (late 80s Hawthorn, early-mid 90s West Coast, mid 90s Carlton)? Those were just some of the classic kick arse teams of the modern era and they were too good for a Geelong team that had a lot of stars and a fair few passengers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is hard to believe it now, but after three rounds of the 2012 season, Carlton was equal premiership favourites with Hawthorn. The bookies had installed the Hawks as the 2012 premiership favourites during the summer. Many people in the media (and here on Big Footy) failed to understand why. Hawthorn stayed short-priced favourites throughout the season, but for one week in April 2012, the Blues shared the top line of betting.

The Blues had finished 5th in 2011 with 14 wins and percentage of 130.0%. They thrashed Essendon in week 1 of the finals and the lost Semi Final thriller to the Eagles at Subiaco. Judd was voted by the players as the league MVP. Murphy had a career best year winning the club best and fairest and the AFLCA Champion Player award. The Three Amigos (Walker, Betts and Garlett) had kicked 150 goals between them.

Many experts had tipped Carlton to take the next step in 2012 and make the top four. They started the year in brilliant form: thumping Richmond by 44 points, annihilating Brisbane at the Gabba by 91 points and then crushing Mick's Magpies machine by 60 points.

From that high point however, they won just 8 of their next 19 matches, finishing 10th with a 11-11 record (3 wins shy of North Melbourne in 8th place.) Their lofty expectations were not met. Fingers were pointed at the coach, Brett Ratten. The fans demanded his sacking and they got their wish. Malthouse was hired to be their "saviour" for a million bucks a year and they've been in the doldrums ever since.

Brett Ratten did okay with the players at his disposal. I just think everyone severely overrated their talent.

Last edited:
Underrated if anything. The gaps between Geelong, St Kilda and the Bulldogs weren't large but hte teams are rated very differently because one won flags, another lost GFs and the other lost PFs.

I distinctly remember looking at the lineups for the 2009 Qualifying Final and thinking '****, that Dogs team is loaded'. Even their iffier players at the time, like Hahn, Welsh, Minson (at the time) and Hill all seemed to be at close to career best form, at that stage...Hahn and Hill combined for over 70 goals that year, FFS. That's part of what makes the 2009 flag so satisfying: St Kilda, the Dogs and Collingwood (though they did lose Pendlebury) were seriously good teams.

Last edited:
It is hard to believe it now, but after three rounds of the 2012 season, Carlton was equal premiership favourites with Hawthorn. The bookies had installed the Hawks as the 2012 premiership favourites during the summer. Many people in the media (and here on Big Footy) failed to understand why. Hawthorn stayed short-priced favourites throughout the season, but for one week in April 2012, the Blues shared the top line of betting.

The Blues had finished 5th in 2011 with 14 wins and percentage of 130.0%. They thrashed Essendon in week 1 of the finals and the lost Semi Final thriller to the Eagles at Subiaco. Judd was voted by the players as the league MVP. Murphy had a career best year winning the club best and fairest and the AFLCA Champion Player award. The Three Amigos (Walker, Betts and Garlett) had kicked 150 goals between them.

Many experts had tipped Carlton to take the next step in 2012 and make the top four. They started the year in brilliant form: thumping Richmond by 44 points, annihilating Brisbane at the Gabba by 91 points and then crushing Mick's Magpies machine by 60 points.

From that point however, they won just 8 of their next 19 matches, finishing 10th with a 11-11 record (3 wins shy of North Melbourne in 8th place.) Their lofty expectations were not met. Fingers were pointed at the coach, Brett Ratten. The fans demanded his sacking and they got their wish. Malthouse was hired to be their "saviour" for a million bucks a year and they've been in the doldrums ever since.

Brett Ratten did okay with the players at his disposal. I just think everyone severely overrated their talent.

Was year 1 of Buckley.

Collingwood did look unstoppable at various stages in 2011. Still don't know how Geelong managed to trump them.

Both teams had fantastic seasons in 2011 but Geelong had the better of Collingwood in 3 games including a 96 point smashing in round 24 and the GF.

I would say the Collingwood 2010 team played some of the best football I've seen in the modern era. They were like angry ants swarming all over opposition players, stealing possession then shooting goals. Geelong and St Kilda also had very good seasons in 2010 but the Pies were worthy flag winners.

St Kilda dropped off hugely in 2011 so maybe they were overrated that year.

Was year 1 of Buckley.
Fair enough. It was still Mick's team in many ways though: the same group of players who won the 2010 flag and finished on top of the ladder in 2011 with 20 wins, 2 losses.

Carlton's 10 goal victory over Collingwood in Rd 3 was supposedly proof that they were headed for a possible Grand Final later that year.

I distinctly looking at the lineups for the 2009 Qualifying Final and thinking '****, that Dogs team is loaded'. Even their iffier players at the time, like Hahn, Welsh, Minson (at the time) and Hill all seemed to be at close to career best form, at that stage...Hahn and Hill combined for over 70 goals that year, FFS. That's part of what makes the 2009 flag so satisfying: St Kilda, the Dogs and Collingwood (though they did lose Pendlebury) were seriously good teams.

And the GF itself was a cracker, one of my favourites as a neutral.

I reckon Collingwood were a shade off the other 3 that year and their record in the QF/PF supports this, but it was a strong season.

Both teams had fantastic seasons in 2011 but Geelong had the better of Collingwood in 3 games including a 96 point smashing in round 24 and the GF.

I would say the Collingwood 2010 team played some of the best football I've seen in the modern era. They were like angry ants swarming all over opposition players, stealing possession then shooting goals. Geelong and St Kilda also had very good seasons in 2010 but the Pies were worthy flag winners.

St Kilda dropped off hugely in 2011 so maybe they were overrated that year.

A bit like Geelong in 2012. After a very slow start everyone just assumed once they got into the eight they'd be fine and they'd make a bit of noise as a sleeping giant in the finals, only to be bundled out at home by an interstate team in the first week in a game nobody expected them to lose.

Fair enough. It was still Mick's team in many ways though: the same group of players who won the 2010 flag and finished on top of the ladder in 2011 with 20 wins, 2 losses.

Carlton's 10 goal victory over Collingwood in Rd 3 was supposedly proof that they were headed for a possible Grand Final later that year.

Yeah I know and I wrote about it earlier in the thread. That game was probably a bit misleading anyway, we had Reid and Ball both go down in the first quarter and we didn't put up any resistance to Carlton at all. Was the worst game I've seen Pendles play too, Carrazzo killed him.

And the GF itself was a cracker, one of my favourites as a neutral.

I reckon Collingwood were a shade off the other 3 that year and their record in the QF/PF supports this, but it was a strong season.

As mentioned, the Pies did lose Pendlebury for the finals (though I don't think many outsiders realised just how good he was until the following year) which didn't help, but Collingwood was fancied as a bit of a bogey side for Geelong up until that PF, with the epic 2007 PF and the inexplicable 15-odd goal hiding they dished out to us in 2008 (Geelong's only loss that year until the GF). Still, at the ground that night, looking at the teams line up for the national anthem, it was clear that it was men against boys. Jolly and Ball were definitely the final pieces to the puzzle.

Hawks 09 would be one.

Collingwood post 2010 similarly. Not for the immediate performances of 11 but there was a serious consensus about potential dynasties throughout 2011.
I certainly remember telling a Collingwood mate (who coincidently now goes for Port) that they would win 5 premierships in a row :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated team of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back