Toast Much Maligned Murphy Magnificent & Marvelous today

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked Murphy's game yesterday. I liked the fact that he actually tried to attack and offer something coming out of defence. He hasn't done this a lot this year and one knock I've always had on him. Looks like he is getting some confidance and if he can become an attacking option as opposed to just 'a role player', then we'll be even better for it.

I think disposal effciency and clanger stats can be mis-leading. A guy can have a disposal efficiency of 100% but if they are all sideways to a guy in space across the backline they mean litte (not necessarily saying Murphy does this).

Our defence as a whole is playing wonderful team defence, in fact our whole side is.

The thing with Murphy is that he struggles when he is matched to the oppositions key forwards, when he players on the oppositions 2nd or 3rd best forward he plays well, he is not a key position defender and has been bagged unfairly by supporters because he has at times had to play on much bigger guys, he is getting better and better and is clearly in our best team.

Do not like Murphy in the team, never have, never will. I find it amazing that people need to race onto here, falling over one another to speak glowingly of a player, any player, when they manage to take a mark and keep their feet more times than they don't.

His turn overs last night were horrendous, and every time he had the ball in free play I imagined he would do the same. I look at how the kids have come in, eg Savage, so sure footed and composed, yet Murphy after so long in the system still reminds me of Bambi.

This is my own opinion and obviously out of favour but i don't care too much. I have always pondered how he gets a game, and simply because we are winning, will not change that view. I am not a flavour of the month supporter. This is not a knock against him personally, I don't even know him. I simply do not think he is a good footballer and think he will cost us big time in some big matches.

Yes i watched the game, yes i saw the stats yes he had a better than average game by his standards but like i stated earlier, blowing a guys tyres up because one week he did what is expected of him every week, i think is, well, cringeworthy.

No point trying to make any point on here that is anywhere near the truth if it means going against the one eyed Hawks.

It is a Hawthorn forum and on here if you dont love everything about every hawthorn player you are in for some tough love.

Power to you for having the town halls for calling it as is.

As I said If you were at the game and watched Murph running around without an opponent for 90% of the game due to the Dogs playing an extra player back on Buddy you would understand how he got it 24 times.

At the end of the day keep calling it as you see it mate.

I dont hate anyone and give everyone a fair crack.

With Stratton and Gillham injured Murph gets his chance but just like 2008 I fear when the whips are cracking Murph might be found out.

This is your problem, not anyone else's - and certainly not Murphys.

If someone has felt the need to come on here and start a thread giving a bit of praise where praise is due (seems to be okay if the player is Hodge, Franklin or Rioli) there is no need to feel so threatened because you are wrong.

It's not like it happens every week, and believe me, will never square the ledger which is firmly in the haters favour.

The kid doesn't give a flying **** what you think regardless, all that matters to him is the respect of his team mates and coaches, and he has it.

But a true supporter will put aside his personal opinions/grudges for the good of the team.

Talking of imagining things - did I imagine Campbell Brown getting his pants pulled down and being royally bent over by Stevie J on Saturday?

Only in the weeks he plays well ;)

There was a thread last week that celebrated that he had less free kicks against than buddy!

We find it equally amazing that people need to race onto here to let us know about his one or two clangers even when he has one of the highest disposal efficiency percentages for the game, such as yesterday.

You imagined, yet he didn't.

As you said, that's your opinion. Doesn't matter if you're wrong I guess.

We blow the guys tires up because he has done what is expected of him (and more than that yesterday) for weeks and weeks now, dating back to late last year.

He may get pushed out of the side eventually, in fact I think he will, but the way he is going about his footy these days is a credit to him after all the unwarranted crap the guy has taken over the last couple of years. Reliable shut-down player who adds great depth to the club and is always pushing for selection.

Your post, although just an opinion, is a prime example of what I said before - Murph has a stigma attached to his name where no matter how well he plays, he will forever be the whipping boy until the end of his playing days. Again, thank god he's smart enough to ignore it all and only listen to the people who matter (who obviously rate him or he wouldn't be playing).
AGREE, 100%, could not off been said any better...

Murph dose have a stigma attached to him, he had only 1 or 2 turnovers and to be honest they weren't even that bad. I watch other supposedly good kicks turn the ball over the same game but they seem to dodge critacisam.

I thought he probably had one of his best games for the club.

I think if Murphy wants to grab a permanent spot in the team, he needs to do more then just be a good stopper. At the moment i still think he is a very one dimensional player, if he start providing some rebounding as he did on Sunday this will go along way to playing a lot more games.

I still think at the moment he is depth player, and is providing great depth whilst Startton and Gilham are out. However once fully fit Stratton comes straight back into the team at the expense of Murphy.

No point trying to make any point on here that is anywhere near the truth if it means going against the one eyed Hawks.

It is a Hawthorn forum and on here if you dont love everything about every hawthorn player you are in for some tough love.

Power to you for having the town halls for calling it as is.

As I said If you were at the game and watched Murph running around without an opponent for 90% of the game due to the Dogs playing an extra player back on Buddy you would understand how he got it 24 times.

At the end of the day keep calling it as you see it mate.

I dont hate anyone and give everyone a fair crack.

With Stratton and Gillham injured Murph gets his chance but just like 2008 I fear when the whips are cracking Murph might be found out.

Absolutely spot on, yet if you put it out there you are labelled a 'hater', I mean really 'Magnificent & Marvelous' pfft, average game from an average player. I would rather see Grant Birchall or Matt Suckling play in the back half for 90% of gametime without an opponent. The way some are banging on Murphy is a sure thing for the 3 Brownlow votes. Might end up making Sheahans Top 50 the way he is going.

Not a hater, just a realist.

Murphy has always been a great one on one defender. He plays the link role well but is often found out when he is the one that has to rebound. Some say he knows his limitations and that's why he always favours a short sideways kick to another defender.

Yesterday i saw Murphy kicking the ball forward. Maybe it's a confidence thing but he should trust himself more often. He's a good kick of the footy - that pass to hodge (which was an inside 50!) was as good as anyone.

That game would have given him enormous confidence. If he can be a creative player - not just a servicable defender he could be one of the first picked each week.

Reckon you have covered it H/insp:thumbsu:

This is your problem, not anyone else's - and certainly not Murphys.

If someone has felt the need to come on here and start a thread giving a bit of praise where praise is due (seems to be okay if the player is Hodge, Franklin or Rioli) there is no need to feel so threatened because you are wrong.

It's not like it happens every week, and believe me, will never square the ledger which is firmly in the haters favour.

The kid doesn't give a flying **** what you think regardless, all that matters to him is the respect of his team mates and coaches, and he has it.

But a true supporter will put aside his personal opinions/grudges for the good of the team.

Talking of imagining things - did I imagine Campbell Brown getting his pants pulled down and being royally bent over by Stevie J on Saturday?
God what a precious bunch. How someone's opinion which varies from yours can generate such emotion and angst is amazing. What the hell is wrong with you people?

I do not think Murphy is a good footballer.....is that such a big deal? It is a personal opinion......it does not make it so. Just because i think his game on the weekend was far from amazing and hardly deserves accolades, moreso i think it is the norm that should be delivered, does not mean YOU have to think the same thing. But I'll stand f..ked if i'll let you tell me I can not have an opinion. I will be in Melbourne later in the year and I invite you to come and have a chat face to face and explain to me why i can' have this opinion. Bickering on a keyboard is not really my thing.

When i pay my membership every year it is not presented with a 'you must love all' clause. What a boring world that would be, sheep like.

I do not start threads slandering people, do not go to the football and abuse the kid, do not throw cans at the tv when he turns it over, i simply do not think he is a good footballer. I know he wouldn't give a ff about my opinion. Do you think he values yours because you love him? I doubt it little man.

Whether you imagine Campbell Brown pulling his pants down i have no idea, that's entirely your own business.

Be i right or wrong it is my opinion and I suggest you don't allow every little thing you don't agree with to bother you so. I can't believe people can be so up tight.

I think Murphy is a terrible footballer, you don't....is it such a big deal? It's not to me.

the two intercept marks where great but the best bit was the play on kick to buddy in the fwd fifty that never got above 1` metre over the ground. A real daisy cutter.

Great game and in our best.

God what a precious bunch. How someone's opinion which varies from yours can generate such emotion and angst is amazing. What the hell is wrong with you people?

I do not think Murphy is a good footballer.....is that such a big deal? It is a personal opinion......it does not make it so. Just because i think his game on the weekend was far from amazing and hardly deserves accolades, moreso i think it is the norm that should be delivered, does not mean YOU have to think the same thing. But I'll stand f..ked if i'll let you tell me I can not have an opinion. I will be in Melbourne later in the year and I invite you to come and have a chat face to face and explain to me why i can' have this opinion. Bickering on a keyboard is not really my thing.

When i pay my membership every year it is not presented with a 'you must love all' clause. What a boring world that would be, sheep like.

I do not start threads slandering people, do not go to the football and abuse the kid, do not throw cans at the tv when he turns it over, i simply do not think he is a good footballer. I know he wouldn't give a ff about my opinion. Do you think he values yours because you love him? I doubt it little man.

Whether you imagine Campbell Brown pulling his pants down i have no idea, that's entirely your own business.

Be i right or wrong it is my opinion and I suggest you don't allow every little thing you don't agree with to bother you so. I can't believe people can be so up tight.

I think Murphy is a terrible footballer, you don't....is it such a big deal? It's not to me.

Snaithy v TAITA like to see that.

Snaithy, remember this is the bloke that gave you the pr0n avatar.....and a genuine good bloke believe me. Next time yr down here he will definitely share a jug or six.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion....everybody

people race on here when he makes one mistake yet it is wrong of us to do so when he has played well since last year and 09 you can not compare due to many reasons that some seem to not see

yet when others in the same game make a mistake there is no mention ,

i do not see a problem where people are praising him for job well done ! he did do a good job simple as that ,
there are 200 plus praising threads on buddy and cyril and hodge why not Murph !

he is a hawk player and is allowed to have a good thread instead of the lets bag murph even when he has a good game thread !
let alone when he and the whole team have a shocker - lets just blame it on murph thread for that too !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy was great and stood up in our backline. Took a few contested marks and used the ball well for the most part. Set up Buddy with a great kick alos. Did make a couple of errors but they only stand out because he is playing in the backline so they tend to be critised more so.

people race on here when he makes one mistake yet it is wrong of us to do so when he has played well since last year and 09 you can not compare due to many reasons that some seem to not see

yet when others in the same game make a mistake there is no mention ,

i do not see a problem where people are praising him for job well done ! he did do a good job simple as that ,
there are 200 plus praising threads on buddy and cyril and hodge why not Murph !

he is a hawk player and is allowed to have a good thread instead of the lets bag murph even when he has a good game thread !
let alone when he and the whole team have a shocker - lets just blame it on murph thread for that too !

If all these threads were about were celebrating a player's success then I am sure people would not get annoyed. But really, this is the second week in a row we have had a hooray-for-Murphy thread. Was not even in our top three defenders against the bulldogs let alone in our best 6 so where is the love for Birchall, Gibson and Guerra? Birch and Goo have both copped criticism on this board from time to time (especially last year) yet they star in the game (as opposed to playing well compared to their own standard) and no thread. Why is that? I think the real purpose of these threads is just to get up the nose of people who don't rate Murphy as highly as themselves. Played well against the bulldogs but that is the standard we should expect from him every week.

If all these threads were about were celebrating a player's success then I am sure people would not get annoyed. But really, this is the second week in a row we have had a hooray-for-Murphy thread. Was not even in our top three defenders against the bulldogs let alone in our best 6 so where is the love for Birchall, Gibson and Guerra? Birch and Goo have both copped criticism on this board from time to time (especially last year) yet they star in the game (as opposed to playing well compared to their own standard) and no thread. Why is that? I think the real purpose of these threads is just to get up the nose of people who don't rate Murphy as highly as themselves. Played well against the bulldogs but that is the standard we should expect from him every week.

2 threads against how many that were made for bagging him even when he played well ! yes some like goo and birch and gibbo have been bagged too and i might add not by me either ! but have we bagged hodge or cyril for having a bad day ? murph cops the brunt of it that is my point even when he has a good game and hey 2 posts saying wow he did great this week is not much compared to the he is .... sack him .... get rid of him , gibbo copped a little of he is not good etc i know that but gee not as much as what Murph has copped !
Goo had an awesome as game last week it was a total ripper if no thread on that i am surprised !

2 threads against how many that were made for bagging him even when he played well ! yes some like goo and birch and gibbo have been bagged too and i might add not by me either ! but have we bagged hodge or cyril for having a bad day ? murph cops the brunt of it that is my point even when he has a good game and hey 2 posts saying wow he did great this week is not much compared to the he is .... sack him .... get rid of him , gibbo copped a little of he is not good etc i know that but gee not as much as what Murph has copped !
Goo had an awesome as game last week it was a total ripper if no thread on that i am surprised !

But that is exactly my point. These threads are pure retaliation.

Snaithy v TAITA like to see that.

Snaithy, remember this is the bloke that gave you the pr0n avatar.....and a genuine good bloke believe me. Next time yr down here he will definitely share a jug or six.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion....everybody

Yeah, slug it out at the London I say.

I'm backing my man TAITA in :D

Nice dummy spit - you can ****en well buy the first round for that big man.

Funny thread - even when murphy - a depth player - has a reasonable game when he has to play due to other injuries some go out of their way to malign him.

Anyway I'm sure the club would be happy with him and his current form.

The issue goes well beyond Murphy.

There are people in this world who form an opinion and that's it.
Under no circumstances are they going to change their minds regardless of what happens.
They relentlessly search search for instances that support their assertions but play scant regard regard to anything to the contrary.

Whilst we all have the right to an opinion I find it both arrogant and ignorant to completely ignore anything that may challenge your perceptions.

Fan forums serve a very real purpose in that they prove an opportunity to both offer opinions and vent frustrations.
But the "I know everything and I'm not going to change my mind" attidude should be seen for what it is.

Having watched footy for over 40 years the one thing I've learned is that we don't know the half of what's really going on.

He had a really good game and has been consistent in his output for quite some time now. I couldn't quite fit him in the votes (I wanted to) but that's no shame as we had some really good players on the weekend.

Made that one glaring error with the switch but the Dogs didn't capitalise thankfully and his lace out, bullet pace to Buddy was sublime. Excellent days work!

The issue goes well beyond Murphy.

There are people in this world who form an opinion and that's it.
Under no circumstances are they going to change their minds regardless of what happens.
They relentlessly search search for instances that support their assertions but play scant regard regard to anything to the contrary.

Whilst we all have the right to an opinion I find it both arrogant and ignorant to completely ignore anything that may challenge your perceptions.

Fan forums serve a very real purpose in that they prove an opportunity to both offer opinions and vent frustrations.
But the "I know everything and I'm not going to change my mind" attidude should be seen for what it is.

Having watched footy for over 40 years the one thing I've learned is that we don't know the half of what's really going on.

Brilliantly said Doc.
Hear hear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Much Maligned Murphy Magnificent & Marvelous today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back