Multiculturalism - Should we change for others, or should they change for us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Voorhees said:
Its nothing compared to the hysterical bleating and horror from you Collingwood supporters when they dared suggest to you that you adopt an away strip.

Gold :thumbsu: :D

Jason Voorhees said:
Its nothing compared to the hysterical bleating and horror from you Collingwood supporters when they dared suggest to you that you adopt an away strip.

I see the intellect of the debates on this board has substantially slipped.
Resorting to the old 'but look at Collingwood' when discussing multiculturalism is a little childish and belittles the subject.

Do you post a lot on the Limbo Board by any chance?

Murray said:
And your interlect has never been that high so its understandable from you.
Not at school today?

At least I can spell intellect, perhaps you should go back to school? ;)

medusala said:
I have no issue whatsoever with govts of any level providing services for those who cant look after themselves. Neither do I have an issue with the council providing services such as libraries, gyms, etc that are open to all. What I do object to is special interest groups based on religious/race/sexual orientation basis getting funding.

I have a problem with concessions (tax, rates etc.) given to religious groups. Apart from believing them to be wrong in principle, I'm intrigued to know how they ascertain which of the diverse organizations should benefit. Where do they draw the line?

Jason Voorhees said:

spot on, you just showed him up as a hypocrite!!!

let's force collingwood to wear an away strip and f uck their tradition........would it have such a monumental impact on their pathetic lives??

DaveW said:
Careful now. You put your redneck tendencies loudly on display by latching on to such a complete beat-up.

And this one too?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17034954%5E7583,00.html

Cut & Paste: Draw a cartoon about Mohammed and you must die
Paul Belien, in brusselsjournal.com, on the jihad against a Danish newspaper's support for free speech
October 26, 2005

ISLAM is no laughing matter. Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten is being protected by security guards and several cartoonists have gone into hiding after the newspaper published a series of 12 cartoons about the prophet Mohammed.

We have US "Christians" killing doctors who perform abortions, and celebrating outside the funerals of gay men who died from beatings from homophobic yobs.

Kick out all Christians because some in other countries are psychotic freaks?

PA HOG said:
I have a problem with concessions (tax, rates etc.) given to religious groups. Apart from believing them to be wrong in principle, I'm intrigued to know how they ascertain which of the diverse organizations should benefit. Where do they draw the line?
I believe there are a set of rules in determining an organised religion:

* Must have a codified belief system.
* Must have a certain number of followers.
* Must be stupid enough to unquestioningly believe in a deity or deities.

Appleyard said:
I believe there are a set of rules in determining an organised religion:

* Must have a codified belief system.
* Must have a certain number of followers.
* Must be stupid enough to unquestioningly believe in a deity or deities.

Are you saying that all Anglicans unquestionably believe in a deity or are you saying that the C of E isnt a form of organised religion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monkster said:
Piggy Banks are tradition in many Western societys, this tradition is now being forfeited in order to appease a minority group.

I was 3 years old in 1990 and 12 years old in 1999. Not once did I see an actual "Pig" Piggy Bank being used by anyone. But then again, I suppose you're one of those people who still eats meat and three veg every night and salutes pictures of the queen every morning?

Freo Big Fella said:
I was 3 years old in 1990 and 12 years old in 1999. Not once did I see an actual "Pig" Piggy Bank being used by anyone. But then again, I suppose you're one of those people who still eats meat and three veg every night and salutes pictures of the queen every morning?

Actually for dinner last night I had Varenyky and being of Scottish heritage, ******** the queen :)

the red baron said:
spot on, you just showed him up as a hypocrite!!!

let's force collingwood to wear an away strip and ******** their tradition........would it have such a monumental impact on their pathetic lives??

Yes let's compare the colours worn by a football team with racism.
Now what exactly is the comparison you wish to point out me.

Remember if you keep mouthing platitudes and regurgitating the opinions of others - eventually you will be asked to explain, and we couldn't have that could we, it might mean you actually have to think about things.

What no school today?

Murray said:
Yes let's compare the colours worn by a football team with racism.
Now what exactly is the comparison you wish to point out me.

Remember if you keep mouthing platitudes and regurgitating the opinions of others - eventually you will be asked to explain, and we couldn't have that could we, it might mean you actually have to think about things.

What no school today?

it's very simple even you could understand.

you argued that it's no big deal to lose your traditions to appease the muticultural industry so why not apply your logic to your own situation??

lets make collingwood wear a different guersey........theyll get over it. no big deal!!!

check mate.

Both of you are losing sight of the bigger picture. Multi-cultural; ie two different cultures. Multiculturalism is, BY DEFINITION, not the replacement of one culture with another. I think that the real issue that Australia is working through at the moment is multiculturalism vs assimilation (ie coexistence or everyone being forced to become the same).
My view is that we are in no moral position to force others to become what we find "acceptable" (within reason of course; it doesn't mean that we should condone crime etc) and that the story of the piggybanks is perhaps not exactly a mainstream, regular occurence.

Monkster said:
Been to Footscray lately?

I have! There's no doubt its like a mini Beijing or Hanoi down there but that doesnt really bother me... What bothers me is the driving/parking rules or lack thereof! Down there, they just park (read: double park) wherever they feel like, stop in the middle of the road for no apparent reason, pull out of parking spots without checking, change lanes without checking etc... It is dead-set unbelievable, like a mini country with its own little road laws. Has anyone else experienced this?

Freo Big Fella said:

I reckon you're 18 this year! :thumbsu:

Verbeek said:
I have! There's no doubt its like a mini Beijing or Hanoi down there but that doesnt really bother me... What bothers me is the driving/parking rules or lack thereof! Down there, they just park (read: double park) wherever they feel like, stop in the middle of the road for no apparent reason, pull out of parking spots without checking, change lanes without checking etc... It is dead-set unbelievable, like a mini country with its own little road laws. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep. In the major centres of Vietnam. The traffic is so thick that to not drive as you describe would result in sitting in one spot all day. I hope you get a chance to see it one day; truly fascinating. But somehow it works! The traffic flows along (very slowly) and the incidence of lack of courtesy and road-rage is minimal.

I am not condoning their behavior here. They are obliged to do it "our way" whilst driving in Australia, like anybody else. It shouldn’t take too long to observe the different requirements and get in step.

PA HOG said:
Yep. In the major centres of Vietnam. The traffic is so thick that to not drive as you describe would result in sitting in one spot all day. I hope you get a chance to see it one day; truly fascinating. But somehow it works! The traffic flows along (very slowly) and the incidence of lack of courtesy and road-rage is minimal.

I am not condoning their behavior here. They are obliged to do it "our way" whilst driving in Australia, like anybody else. It shouldn’t take too long to observe the different requirements and get in step.

Yeah that's one thing I dont get! When in Footscray, I'm sitting in the car pulling my hair out whilst they just sit there for ages, patiently waiting on one knob who has just stopped in the middle of the road looking out for a parking spot! It's almost deliberate, lol!

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiculturalism - Should we change for others, or should they change for us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back