Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

I declare my bias as a left leaning political centrist, however I still don’t think there’s any story here unless it were egregiously and intentionally offensive

The AFL should report the event properly so the public can make their own decisions as to whether or not it is an issue
Given the AFL is taking action they probably offended SportsBet.

I declare my bias as a left leaning political centrist, however I still don’t think there’s any story here unless it were egregiously and intentionally offensive

The AFL should report the event properly so the public can make their own decisions as to whether or not it is an issue
I think they should investigate and then once it has been investigated, release the findings. No point for all this speculation.

I think there are a few things that we as a society have said are universally "real shit". Running around in Nazi uniforms and doing salutes and stuff would be the easiest example that comes to mind.

Ignoring those extremes, it comes down to subjective opinion. Problem is that society seems to believe that entertainers who are paid to play a game are supposed to be the ones we all look up to so them doing anything is just multiplied.
I have two comments to make...

I think there are a few things that we as a society have said are universally "real shit"

1) Most of that stuff was considered 'woke' and 'the world's gone mad' stuff at the time. This is why I laugh at the Fox News and Herald-Sun brigade. Do they not see that the world changes, and always has. Do they not realise they all just end up looking like Governer Ross Barnett or Alan McAlastair.

This 'conservsative' stuff dates so horribly.

Problem is that society seems to believe that entertainers who are paid to play a game are supposed to be the ones we all look up to so them doing anything is just multiplied.

2) I don't think it's society that thinks this.
People are dumb. They think a news.com.au article that talks about how outraged people are about something - is actually a snapshot of reality. But instead, it's actually just some intern who's job it is to scour the internet and find a couple of controversial (but usually very isolated) comments in the comments section on YouTube, and write an article about it. That's not 'society'. It's a handful of people out of hundreds of thousands.
The average person has zero ability to critically think.

If this was Collingwood, for example, this thread would be 100 pages already and it would everywhere in the media. Why? Because people hate Collingwood and would be cheering for their downfall. Not because anyone over the age of 12 actually looks up to footballers as role models - but because they hate Collingwood.
Aside from the anti-woke ideologues who will be egged on by Sky News - very few people will actually care much about this.

The AFL will protect their brand, as they do. No one else will care.

Last edited:
I have two comments to make...

I think there are a few things that we as a society have said are universally "real shit"

1) Most of that stuff was considered 'woke' and 'the world's gone mad' stuff at the time. This is why I laugh at the Fox News and Herald-Sun brigade. Do they not see that the world changes, and always has. Do they not realise they all just end up looking like Governer Ross Barnett or Alan McAlastair.

This 'conservsative' stuff dates so horribly.

Problem is that society seems to believe that entertainers who are paid to play a game are supposed to be the ones we all look up to so them doing anything is just multiplied.

2) I don't think it's society that thinks this.
People are dumb. They think a news.com.au article that talks about how outraged people are about something - is actually a snapshot of reality. But instead, it's actually just some intern who's job it is to scour the internet and find a couple of controversial (but usually very isolated) comments in the comments section on YouTube, and write an article about it. That's not 'society'. It's a handful of people out of hundreds of thousands.
The average person has zero ability to critically think.

If this was Collingwood, for example, this thread would 100 pages already and it would everywhere in the media. Why? Because people hate Collingwood and would be cheering for their downfall. Not because anyone over the age of 12 actually looks up to footballers as role models - but because they hate Collingwood.
Aside from the anti-woke ideologues who will egged on my Sky News - very few people will actually care much about this.

The AFL will protect their brand, as they do. No one else will care.
I would slightly explain my point to give you the proper context for your first point.

When I say "real shit" I would be meaning things like actual depictions of Nazi salutes and rhetoric (1930-40s brand) or legitimate harassment of people. Things that were never really "woke" or were "woke" until all the details came out. Society is a moving target and there is a very real chance that in 150 years, statues around the MCG of sportsmen are targeted to be pulled down because "they killed animals for food". I am not vegan but could really foresee that as being a reality in the future.

Why are you still here?
You wanted a bet.
You initiated it.
You lost.
You were to delete your account.
Please explain.

Try reading again, champ.

I did honour my bet and my account was suspended by Chief for two weeks.

Bit suspicious that this news came out on the eve of the trade period closing.

Obviously a thinly veiled attempt to make the club more appealing to Jake Stringer.

Private event. Nobody got hurt. Nothing illegal happened. They should be sacked, or have their shirts cut back with no more private functions. Disgraceful

If they're casual I'm sure the old lack of available shifts is about to start. It could have been worth a complaint but unfortunately it's not great for that venue which sucks for them as they've done nothing wrong but once name of it gets out I'm sure it will hurt their bottom line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you still here?
You wanted a bet.
You initiated it.
You lost.
You were to delete your account.
Please explain.
Me and Chad have had some pretty serious disagreements over the years but he suspended his account for two weeks after Hawthorn made finals this year in response to this bet.

He held up his end of the bet.

My god this thread is a cesspool, reads like a culture war between bunch of Americans on Twitter.

People are so obsessed with their "side winning" they lump things together and generalise to high hell if it agrees with their narrative.

No a bloke in dress like a Dame Edna reading to kids isn't inherently a problem. Yes a sexually charged drag performer with a name like Alaska Thunderf*ck would be.

Like details and nuance matter.

Got no issue with blokes wearing a dress at home, or even out and about. I just find it incredibly weird that some of you have a strange obsession with reading books to children while wearing a dress. It’s creepy, at best.
It's a job. Being a drag queen is no different to any other job in the entertainment industry. Some queens are the panto dame type that are good at family friendly entertainment. Some very much aren't. Just like Bluey and South Park can exist in the same world, so can Miss Sparkles and Ivana Suckalot.

I would slightly explain my point to give you the proper context for your first point.

When I say "real shit" I would be meaning things like actual depictions of Nazi salutes and rhetoric (1930-40s brand) or legitimate harassment of people. Things that were never really "woke" or were "woke" until all the details came out. Society is a moving target and there is a very real chance that in 150 years, statues around the MCG of sportsmen are targeted to be pulled down because "they killed animals for food". I am not vegan but could really foresee that as being a reality in the future.
But segregation for example, only became 'real shit' because a bunch of 'woke lefties that had gone too far' brought it to everyone's attention. Then the 'do gooders' took over and 'the world went mad', and now we see segregation as 'real shit'.

The list of this stuff that was normal at some point goes on, and on, and on. Once it becomes 'real shit' then we all look back in horror about how people actually pushed back against change.

People really need to understand that what they may not like or agree with,.or understand - may, and often is, very different for other people. Rather than pushing back and raging against change, people need to accept that change is inevitable, and instead look at practical ways to manage the change.

By the way, I'm not arguing with you, just making a general point.

When this sorta thing pops up....I think the people concerned are more worried about the contents of what's been read to the children and not so much what they're wearing.
Children's books.

If people tried actually going into the library to see what was going on instead of scaring everyone inside by banging on the windows and screaming slurs, they might find that out.

Periodic reminder:

A costume is worn for comic effect. The category of humor varies:
  • contrast or juxtaposition of the costume wearer and the subject
  • topical reference to controversy
  • surprise caused by high quality / accuracy of costume
  • irony
  • characterized playful sexualisation of a profession

Wearing a costume does not imply an endorsement of the person or thing the costume seeks to portray. Specifically, it does not imply either an endorsement of, or a flippant attitude towards any wrong doing undertaken by the portrayed person or thing.

Dressing as Jeffrey Epstein does not imply a flippant attitude to paedophilia any more than dressing as a zombie implies a flippant attitude to murder.

Any member of the media, club administration or the broader community who does not understand this should be offered counselling.

People participating in fun, end of year activities should not have their behaviour regulated by ignorant, unthinking and unsophisticated people who falsely interpret of offence.

Can you imagine if Aliens was made today? The amount of youtube videos with people making angry exaggerated faces in the thumbnail might just break the internet.
Yep. Because women leads in horror films are notoriously hated by fans and just not acceptable. Not like the heroine lead is a staple of that genre or anything...

Yep. Because women leads in horror films are notoriously hated by fans and just not acceptable. Not like the heroine lead is a staple of that genre or anything...
Aliens is an action movie :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back