Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the venue been named yet? surely someone has leaked it on reddit or social media.

Deserves to go out of business
In their defence, all they have done is complained - which GWS could have handled internally. Neither the venue nor the staff are responsible for determining punishments, that is the club.

Interesting that some distasteful skits result in fines and suspensions.

But a certain Richmond player can have a past full of robbery and assault and be fine to play, only to be charged with more robbery crimes while on the list, and still be able to play.

Not to mention a certain Pies player charged with sexual assault, who is also okay to keep playing.

The consistency of the AFL, people.
In fairness they are Victorian players so it doesnt apply. :$

I get the argument that it happened in a private setting and that it should be left at that.

What I don't get though is why these players felt the need to push the boundaries of taste as they did - can't they have a great day without doing that?

Are you a greater paragon of comedy than George Carlin? If you think they should get punished you're probably some psycho with a bent for controlling others because it gets you off. Leave them to their private gathering and find something else to wring your hands at.

If they've pulled their dicks out, it's a crime and another story, until then calm down.

I do think that this information vacuum isn’t helping.

If your natural inclination is to back the players, you probably assume that it’s just people getting offended at a dress up.

If your natural inclination is to back the bar staff, you’re probably suspecting it’s a skit with simulated rape acts played for laughs.

This vacuum gets filled very quickly by a lot of hypotheticals

I get the argument that it happened in a private setting and that it should be left at that.

What I don't get is why these players felt the need to push the boundaries of taste as they did in the first place - can't they have a great day without doing that?

I think most would agree with this But they didn't see it as offensive or pushing the boundaries clearly as they wouldn't of done it would they.
What upsets you might no upset me. What you might do at a party or a private gathering is different to what I might do.

Until we actually know what really happened it's hard to make a firm judgement, but if it's some guys in a private room at a private function taking the mickey out of some things they may not mention in a public function then i have no issue with it.
And if someone is offended then thats on them to simply be offended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait are they a private venue or not?
No venue is private, yes it may be a private “function” where the attendees are controlled but ultimately staff count (bar staff, security, ect) as members of the public and can complain

I think most would agree with this But they didn't see it as offensive or pushing the boundaries clearly as they wouldn't of done it would they.
Which is why the afl needs to come down hard on this. If AFL players think dressing as convicted rapists and simulating that rape on a blow up doll isn't offensive, then the AFL and GWS have huge issues with regards to respect to women.

The fact that a group of young men would find the theme entertaining is a reflection of underlying and ongoing societal attitudes that we struggle to change. It’s a worry, especially as AFL players receive a lot of instruction about respect.

Surely someone at GWS could foresee the possibility of 'issues' if they're running with a 'Troubled Couples' theme?
Not much offends me these days, but I'm certainly aware of things that might upset others, for various reasons. You just never know what people might have been through. Having said that, the punishment - unless more happened that we're not being told - is way, way over the top.

Which is why the afl needs to come down hard on this. If AFL players think dressing as convicted rapists and simulating that rape on a blow up doll isn't offensive, then the AFL and GWS have huge issues with regards to respect to women.
Can I just say that if I did this at my work Christmas party I would have my logins cancelled, my desk cleared and my letter of dismissal served before I even arrived on Monday morning.

But what if it's racist?

Towards the bar tender? Well then that is wrong and the bar tender should of complained.
But if its between the players and the bar tender is just observing then it comes down to what is racism? What the bar tender might feel is racist the players might not feel is. The bar tender does not get to be the judge on that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back