Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is more room for parody when it comes to that.
I think there are seriously deep seeded issues with men when it comes to violence against women in our society and athletes need to be at the centre of calling out those sort of issues - a player parodying domestic violence is just really bad for the league, especially one that I'm pretty sure moonlit a domestic violence awareness game this year.
I would disagree. I believe the target of the parody is the determining factor. The joke casting the perpetrator in a negative light is a much different conversation to a joke glorifying the act.

I think there is more room for parody when it comes to that.
I think there are seriously deep seeded issues with men when it comes to violence against women in our society and athletes need to be at the centre of calling out those sort of issues - a player parodying domestic violence is just really bad for the league, especially one that I'm pretty sure moonlit a domestic violence awareness game this year.
My Problem is, why the **** does the AFL need to get involved to Tell us all how bad Violence against Women is? Every single normal Law Abiding Citizen already agrees with that sentiment.
A Wife beater isn't going to suddenly wake up tomorrow morning, because Patrick Dangerfield said at a Press Conference that Violence against Women is not ok.
The AFL can do everything, but there will always be the odd player who hits or abuses women. The AFL fining & banning GWS players for Parody, isn't going to stop a Tarryn Thomas from doing what he did.

How is a terrorist attack in America worth 2 games but slavery just a fine
You get a harsher penalty for high contact these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends, on a whole range of factors - starting with whether he was identifiably an employee representing that organisation or not.

There is not always a black and white answer for everything.

I'm not sure if he was wearing the company tie when he 'got intimate' with this lady. But even if he was I don't believe he was representing his employer at any stage in the proceedings. Same as the GWS boys were not representing their club when doing silly stuff at a private party.

Staff at venues for buck's nights, Wacky Wednesdays and alternative comedy nights should expect to see and hear things you wouldn't get while working at a local coffee shop. If you don't accept that is part of the job then don't sign up and complain after.

The most perverse thing I have seen was a modern Burlesque performance. It was private as in you needed a ticket to get in. But according to some in this thread it was public because it required it to be staffed.

I would disagree. I believe the target of the parody is the determining factor. The joke casting the perpetrator in a negative light is a much different conversation to a joke glorifying the act.
I agree with you to an extent on the ethics of satire in general, but it's the suspension I can most clearly understand from the AFL's perspective.
My Problem is, why the **** does the AFL need to get involved to Tell us all how bad Violence against Women is? Every single normal Law Abiding Citizen already agrees with that sentiment.
A Wife beater isn't going to suddenly wake up tomorrow morning, because Patrick Dangerfield said at a Press Conference that Violence against Women is not ok.
The AFL can do everything, but there will always be the odd player who hits or abuses women. The AFL fining & banning GWS players for Parody, isn't going to stop a Tarryn Thomas from doing what he did.
I think we can underestimate the level of social responsibility the country's biggest sporting league has. It might not stop one or all wife beaters, but it raises awareness for society as a whole. I remember in high school some cement head flog couldn't get his head around some guy going to jail for punching someone, and his mate saying 'aww nah it was a coward punch, they're trying to get rid of those!'.

If the AFL want to pander to every middle-aged mother's sensitivities then fine, whatever. But what right do they have to tell Idun he needs to be offended by something he willingly participated in?
I just showed Tom Morris tweet to my 70yr old Mum, who was a bit of a Karen during Covid.
She said to me, 'Wait what? how is that worthy of a fine, let a lone a match suspension'

I love Jimmy Carr.

But he has a room full of people who have chosen to pay money to be there.

The audience and the relationship you have with them matters.

The bar staff are just trying to serve drinks for a living.

FWIW, I've worked at a venue that Carr has held shows at, and staff are notified beforehand of potentially offensive content and can withdraw their availability for the event if they want. (And same for any similar events.)

I suspect this is commonplace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back