Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

The most extraordinary part of this is Conor Idon being fined for doing a act from a popular movie that I would guess may on this board have watched many times. Tarantino treatment of a sensitive subjective is ironic, funny, moving at times but filled with gauge, over the top violence and mayhem. Its irreverent. For me I love his dialogue but sometimes the violence is too slapstick.

Now the AFL, in this case I will guess the majority of people involved in handing down sanctions are white middles class people. Obviously Dillon is. Its stunningly wrong to me that they feel they can judge a black man, who took the time to discuss this with the other black men before going ahead, for dressing up as a black character to do a scene from Django.

This is a serious overstep by the AFL and too me extremely ignorant. They have no right to make this judgement.
One thing you'll notice watching Tarantino movies is the way violence is portrayed towards victims vs perpetrators is completely different. The slapstick violence is reserved for the latter. For the former he's actually a lot more reserved and shies away from showing it in an exploitative way, often it's more suggestive and disturbing.

I find the punishment over the Django stuff to be the most perplexing.

The fact that it was a private function matters, but the staff deserve a safe workplace as well.

I have no idea what they dressed up as or did. But if I employed staff at a pub and they complained about people dressing up say as Hitler or Stalin or something then they'd have my support to spit in their beers.

Have no issue with the AFL coming down and the punishments here. In the same boat as many others here and if I did this myself at any form of work event, I’d be out the door instantly.

Whoever thought those scenarios and dress ups are funny I think need to reconsider their values.

Sexual assault, abuse and 9/11 aren’t some dress up joke and make fun of thing.

The most extraordinary part of this is Conor Idon being fined for doing a act from a popular movie that I would guess may on this board have watched many times. Tarantino treatment of a sensitive subjective is ironic, funny, moving at times but filled with gauge, over the top violence and mayhem. Its irreverent. For me I love his dialogue but sometimes the violence is too slapstick.

Now the AFL, in this case I will guess the majority of people involved in handing down sanctions are white middles class people. Obviously Dillon is. Its stunningly wrong to me that they feel they can judge a black man, who took the time to discuss this with the other black men before going ahead, for dressing up as a black character to do a scene from Django.

This is a serious overstep by the AFL and too me extremely ignorant. They have no right to make this judgement.
Yes. He should honestly sue them to expose their idiocy and hypocrisy. I bet the dimwits responsible for this decision wouldn’t be able to even locate Ghana on a map, let alone recall anything about how it - the place where his family is from - was affected by slavery.

Would they fine an aboriginal player $5k for performing a skit about the frontier wars? Because it’s completely analogous.

What sort of loser dresses up in a costume enacting the September 11 bombings??? Thank god they went out straight sets. Losers galore.

That is not political correctness, that is just disgraceful.

I am the last person who believes in the laughable crazy political correctness from people getting constantly offended on other peoples behalf, but this is not that.

You don’t go around dressing yourself up as a terrorist attack… very low character

Close to 200 million people were killed in wars in the 20th century and we've been lampooning them for decades.

Have a bex and a lie down.

Idun asked for permission first and he's black himself.
The rape stuff absolutely should be condemned but I can't believe Idun is attracting any sort of punishment for Django.
Agree 100% with this, the SA stuff is totally egregious

I assumed it was Django when I read the article, and given Idun is black I’d assumed he was the instigator and thought it was harmless and funny

One of my best friends girlfriends is black and some of the self deprecating jokes she makes about herself are totally non-PC

She named herself a slur at Ballers Clubhouse on the virtual darts for example

A lot of us love controversial humour and some black people love playing on the discomfort it generates when they make a self-deprecating or racially themed joke about their own race in a group of non-blacks

I find it hilarious and think Idun/Whitfield deserve no punishment

And how anyone could take exception to epidemic being used to describe how big an issue DV is in Australia is staggering. Not gonna botner with the whataboutism that follows. Your clear views on this topic tells me you're someone I want absolutely nothing to do with, so peace out.
LOL. Nice rational argument

No surprise here that the only ones offended by this and backing the AFL are also the worst type of people imaginable. A roll call of the worst of the worst in this thread, a bunch of chronically online losers who will wax on about standards and morality while probably charging back their Uber Eats order despite there being nothing wrong with it or taking gift cards out of the wishing well at a friends wedding. Bottom of the barrel individuals who just want others to feel the pain that they have in their hearts. Sick
they are referred as the "tolerant left"for a reason

So because the afl accept gambling revenue, they are precluded from having an opinion on anything else, right?

Yes. 100% yes.

How many lives are destroyed by gambling?

How many lives were destroyed by this private party?

Its pretty ****ing simple. The AFL has no moral high ground on literally anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Idun asked for permission first and he's black himself.
The rape stuff absolutely should be condemned but I can't believe Idun is attracting any sort of punishment for Django.
Exactly my argument. I wonder if Dillon thinks Jamie Foxx should be fined for portraying a slave trader in a public movie released worldwide.

So should players across the competition have been fined / suspended for WATCHING Django Unchained, given that it portrays slavery? I mean it seems a fine line between watching a movie (OK) to re-enacting a scene from said same, fictional movie (not OK).
Dillon should send a note to Jamie Foxx, asking him to show cause for portraying a slave.

Yes. 100% yes.

How many lives are destroyed by gambling?

How many lives were destroyed by this private party?

Its pretty ****ing simple. The AFL has no moral high ground on literally anything.
So players are free to do anything because the AFL accepts gambling revenue?

Django is the hero of a story, a free black man at a time when others weren’t. Which peanuts at the AFL exactly are standing against this being portrayed?

All common sense just goes out the window these days. It’s all about being first to overreact to appease what you think are hysterical masses

No one.

I understand that it was not an AFL event. It was a private function for men who play together in a football team.

Ultimately, I will concede this point - the appropriateness of the AFL issued sanctions and fines entirely depends upon how this event was classified.

Was it actually a private event for a group of men who simply play together in a football team? (If yes, there is no room for AFL intervention).

Was it a Greater Western Sydney Giants Football Club event? (If yes, then perhaps leave it up to the club).

Or was it an Australian Football League event to be attended by people who play for the GWS Giants Football Club? (If yes, then perhaps yes indeed, the AFL has jurisdiction to impose their own standards of behaviour to the attendees at the event).

I am sure many adult people have engaged in consensual activities in the privacy of their own home, or at a private function elsewhere, that some people may find offensive, distasteful or otherwise inappropriate. Does that give anyone outside of those involved any right to officially reprimand the people involved in said behaviours?
People from all walks of life have been sacked/sanctioned for their behaviour at private work events, why should the AFL be any different.

If a bunch of AFL executives engaged in similar behaviour at an office Christmas party, I imagine everyone on here would be baying for blood.

The GWS players engaged in some pretty reprehensible behaviour, it came out, and they are being punished. I see no issue.

People from all walks of life have been sacked/sanctioned for their behaviour at private work events, why should the AFL be any different.

If a bunch of AFL executives engaged in similar behaviour at an office Christmas party, I imagine everyone on here would be baying for blood.

The GWS players engaged in some pretty reprehensible behaviour, it came out, and they are being punished. I see no issue.
It's not just that some players overstepped the mark.
It's that some of the players dressed up in a way that is fairly benign (e.g. Idun as Django) and they are also copping penalties.

SA stuff? Absolutely give them some sort of punishment (suspension from H&A games does seem very harsh). Some of the other things seem like the AFL is going too far.

This from an organization that had turned a blind eye to stars eye gouging, elbowing, punching, etc.

There's zero sense of proportionality here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back