Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes it can.

There's so much shit going on out there that players do that never gets reported because venue and their staff are often worded up to keep it in house.

I've worked security, I know this for a fact.
Yeah, if they are worded up beforehand and given the genuine option to back out (and I do mean a genuine option, not just "you've got the choice to do this or quit your job), that's completely different.

Yes it can.

There's so much shit going on out there that players do that never gets reported because venue and their staff are often worded up to keep it in house.

Just because people don’t doesn't mean people can’t

Yeah, if they are worded up beforehand and given the genuine option to back out (and I do mean a genuine option, not just "you've got the choice to do this or quit your job), that's completely different.

And given this person wasn't even working the event if information is correct then we're dealing an utter ****wit.

jeez thats unlucky. Probably should have held it at a private venue next time.
Nah, still not private, you walk in, in a costume, by chance a member of the public sees your Django costume gets offended, or sees an opportunity to grift (more likely the latter) and informs the AFL or a journalist.

Of course not, and that isn’t what has happened so let’s not try and act like it’s the same thing

A staff member complained and passed the footage onto the afl who were conducting a investigation on the complaint
You're right, it's not the same. But who decides where that line is. I don't think CCTV reviewed by staff for a laugh is responsible use. Given the daily goings on in bars around Australia I think it's a bit rich for some one who works in a pub to be the moral police

Yes it can.

And generally speaking, this is the right thing.

It might sound silly, but at this party, I dunno - a player might start crying about something, expose themselves as a terrible singer or suffer a bout of diarrhoea. All little things they'd rather kept private, none of our business.

Illegal stuff - that's different. If they assault staff or something, of course it gets reported.

Then there is the stuff in between - a player cheating on someone (though this again probably not public interest), someone doing a series of racist jokes - all under the protection of 'privacy'. Not illegal but pretty shit. If say that happened at a Collingwood private function a few years ago (even now really) - you'd probably have an argument that it should be leaked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again, you’re assuming that’s what he was fined for
Clearly stated on AFL website that Whitfield and Idon were fined for leadership and the skit they performed. Its pretty cut and dried for me. The AFL are not in a place where they can judge Idon on a skit he does from a film portrayng slavery.

The intention was that this function was to be private, no public 'knowledge' of the event.

So yeah for all intents and purposes, it was absolutely a private event.

The only thing that made it public was that someone(s) has found offence and informed the AFL, not a member of the public, likely a hotel employee(s).

If that didn't happen we wouldn't have 70 odd pages of virtue signalers vs virtue signalers, losing their shit about the hypocrisy of the AFL and the bleeding hearts oh so at the ready to condemn the players and anyone with a skerrick of sympathy for the players.

I’m not sure what your point is.

Your opinion.

Maybe let people decide for themselves which stories they view / read.
Best we go looking for what we don't know about then, let's go find the offensive and make it public, so the public can judge.

Coz it's the right thing to do, impractical and counter productive of course, but who cares, it's the right thing to do.

Society's gonna get real busy.

And generally speaking, this is the right thing.

It might sound silly, but at this party, I dunno - a player might start crying about something, expose themselves as a terrible singer or suffer a bout of diarrhoea. All little things they'd rather kept private, none of our business.

Illegal stuff - that's different. If they assault staff or something, of course it gets reported.

Then there is the stuff in between - a player cheating on someone (though this again probably not public interest), someone doing a series of racist jokes - all under the protection of 'privacy'. Not illegal but pretty shit. If say that happened at a Collingwood private function a few years ago (even now really) - you'd probably have an argument that it should be leaked.

It doesn't all get reported though.

You don't think that when players get strikes for drugs it's not kept hush hush?

Then all of a sudden the players privacy seems to matter.

Shouldn't we know who the crims are before we know who the bad jokers are?

It’s not private if it’s at a venue because of the staff members of the venue present

Only way it’s private if it’s held at a house without any 3rd party catering, security, ect
Yep, going that extra length now, then we'll hire a big boat, no staff for the boat, just the players, go way off shore just to ensure our private function stays private.

Of course one of the players will have get their skippers licence in order for this to happen.

I can see all end of season dress up days being heavily watered down now, or cancelled altogether, then local leagues, we don't want them having controversial fun either, coz they're footy clubs.

Then we'll wade into general society, oh wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Multiple GWS players are set to be suspended to start the 2025 season after distasteful costumes and skits from their post-season function

Remove this Banner Ad

Back