Mumford ....should be called for blocking at every ruck contest - he doesn't jump at the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's such an odd thing to say - it's the same with guys like Joel Selwood or Anthony Miles. Sure they might cop it for their tactics, but they sure as hell aren't soft.

(not withstanding that Shuey actually got one of those frees for winning the ball on the ground...we surely aren't discouraging players picking the ball up off the ground!)

Exactly. And a lot of their frees are also just from being first to the ball and going hard at the contest. It inflates the free kick stats which people then quote as if they're all from ducking. Some people are clueless. It's not a great thing to see but that matter of fact is, all those blokes are hard at the footy and quality players.

Hahaha nice try mate. I don't like the way Shuey tends to duck his head, but quite a lot of his frees are from being first to the ball and going hard at the contest. If a guy that racked up 38 disposals, 23 contested, 13 clearances & 6 tackles today is soft, then **** me sideways. Not to mention 84.2% DE & 2 goals. Played an incredible game today and was a clear BOG. Get your head out of your ass.
Notice west coast fans are the only ones to defend shuey...shuey is a talented player andis a very good player in his own right, but his ducking literally takes the piss. it would almost be tolerable if he was winning them by purely going in lower, but its almost his first instinct to throw the head or drop the knees..its disgraceful. Darling is in the same boat. They are both very good players and dont need to rely on frees to get a head.

Winning frees doesn't detract from the fact he can and does win his own ball, as evidenced by the number of clearances he wins.

Want me to type that slower so you actually understand?
the speed at which you type a post does not improve or decrease someones ability to comprehend said post as it appears the same once it has been posted

:cool: I like how this thread, which began as an attack on Mummy has turned into a defence of Shuey. It's done that without an emotional defence from us. I hold the following truths to self evident:-

1. Shuey us a really good midfielder. He gets his centre of gravity low for stability and to make it hard to tackle him. This is called skill and it's up to guys trying to tackle him to get down and tackle legally. The latter phrase is exactly what Leon said and I never disagree with him.
2. Mummy is a great ruckman, he uses the rules to gain maximum advantage. This is called nous. He's not Nic Nat in his tap ability, but he is a tough character and we love his ability to block and harass to win clearances. I'd say they are about equivalent in second efforts and influence around the clearances after the tap. Possibly Nic Nat better around the ground as a marking and goal kicking target. Nic nat's team won yesterday and I give him the win on the day in a great contest.

Great pick up. The flexibility in the rules on a player by player basis is astounding.

Mummy blocks at every ruck infringement but gets away with it because that's 'just the way he plays'.

Buddy runs off his line but it's not play on because that's 'just his natural arc'.

Cyril runs past the ball and collects his opponent head high with a bump but doesn't do any time just because he's Cyril...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're going to talk about this, Trengove from Port does it all the time. When they whacked us in NT, he got away with murder against Gawn (No, it wouldn't have affected the result). Have watched some other Port games and he makes no attempt to go the ball, just looks at the other ruckman and tries to impede his run.

Call it umpires

Smashing into a ruckman is not a tactic we want in our game

You can't do that anywhere else on the ground

Geeze Mumford must be some kind of God. Apparently only attached nic Nat and didn't go the ball yet got 37 hit outs

Remove this Banner Ad

Mumford ....should be called for blocking at every ruck contest - he doesn't jump at the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back