Murray Football League (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Murray Football League

Its very early times and i dont have a whole lot of knowledge about all the clubs...just from what i have read on thi site and last years results...
here goes my top 6... not in order....

Nathalia
Barooga
Moama
Deniliquin
Rumbalara
Congupna

what you think???? i would think Nathalia and barooga would be the two leaders and then the next 5 or 6 should have a good battle

Still very early, but here is my longshot top six:

Nathalia
Barooga
Echuca United
Deniliquin
Tongala
Tocumwal

Nathalia will continue in leaps and bounds, Barooga will remain a strong force, United will still be solid with a number of previous players returning to the club as well as some youth and experience, Deniliquin likewise as well as a good young bunch of kids, Tongala will be my hot tip to be big improvers, and Tocumwal will also step up the tempo with a number of good signings.

Congupna will drop of the pace fairly significantly with quite a few players returning to their home clubs in Shepparton, Rumbalara and Moama will be on the fringe on the top group of teams. I can't see Moama's 'big name signings' pulling them up the ladder into September action. I would expect Mulwala to drop back a few notches as will Finley, Cobram will again improve and will challenge a few of the top teams. I haven't heard much from Numurkah's edge of the woods, so I cannot see them moving up the ladder.

Any news on the way Echuca united are shaping up?? Heard of alot of departures and besides Hueston no good pickups?!! anyone know if the coach has brought across any of his GVFL connections? if not they wont be very competative this year i would think

I'm sure everyones aware of the departures at united , but all is not lost there is some very enthusiastic Kids at training and a new leadership group which seems to have it's head screwed on right .As for the recruits , a few lads have returned after stints in the central murray and a few more are ready to play this year after personality clash's with Heritage in others years . Also talks continue with key players from other leagues but time will tell on that . Who are have the Deni boys recruited ?, they are pretty tight lipped , it worries me !

I'm sure everyones aware of the departures at united , but all is not lost there is some very enthusiastic Kids at training and a new leadership group which seems to have it's head screwed on right .As for the recruits , a few lads have returned after stints in the central murray and a few more are ready to play this year after personality clash's with Heritage in others years . Also talks continue with key players from other leagues but time will tell on that . Who are have the Deni boys recruited ?, they are pretty tight lipped , it worries me !

I'm not sure if deni have made alot of big signings....it seems to be more a case of players returning to the club after chasing money...ie the boys that went to balranald. As for united. i live in echuca and havent heard one positive thing about there campaign this year. Who has returned from the gunny/leichy??? i know that R.hill has gone from united to gunny this year to play with teddy and no doubt more money

Yer there was no falling out Djars just told them he will get them more more money to play at Moama then Rumba, which they will.

Clayton won't be missed never really played much senior footy at Rumba tends to go missing for a while during the season.

Tommy does the i'm leaving to go to Mathoura/ Moama routine for more money each year, it was Mathoura last year, I guess it's Moama's turn this year.

If fit and committed Moama get two good pick ups, if not no loss to us. Two of the most fustrating footballers going.

Clayton does seem to be a player with talent but may not always give 100%, tommy has always been a good footballer and i believe if he committed himself when he was younger, could have played at AFL level.
as for them being fit... i'll let you know djars has been puttin the pressure on them to train hard and there doing just that at the moment

I'm not sure if deni have made alot of big signings....it seems to be more a case of players returning to the club after chasing money...ie the boys that went to balranald. As for united. i live in echuca and havent heard one positive thing about there campaign this year. Who has returned from the gunny/leichy??? i know that R.hill has gone from united to gunny this year to play with teddy and no doubt more money

Balranald ran themselves out of business hey! I live in echuca too mate and like I said before time is going to have to tell with us . Returning home from L/Gunny would be Marty Retalic, Luke Swanke and Phil Hazelman . Shwank should be able to fill a Key position and the other two will be handy on a flank or a wing .
I'd say rowan hill would be the most replacable of the departures but a good player none the less. Replacing the likes of Campbell ,Rayne,Jones and baker is what we are more worried about . All of that group mentioned missed a lot of footy or played injured ,so I'd like to hope we aren't starting too far behind where we were .

Returning home from L/Gunny would be Marty Retalic, Luke Swanke and Phil Hazelman . Shwank should be able to fill a Key position and the other two will be handy on a flank or a wing .
I'd say rowan hill would be the most replacable of the departures but a good player none the less. Replacing the likes of Campbell ,Rayne,Jones and baker is what we are more worried about . All of that group mentioned missed a lot of footy or played injured ,so I'd like to hope we aren't starting too far behind where we were .

Of course you haven't heard anything positive from Echuca United's campaign, you're involved with Moama! No-one over there is going to concede that their number one rival club is having fantastic recruitment campaign, even if they were or weren't.
The past few years at Moama have been absolutely dreadful, and to be perfectly honest, I haven't heard anything positive about Moama's recruiting this off-season either. Although they were lucky enough to snare the ink of Djarran Whyman, there is a very fine line between a club going very well, and a club going to dirt when such a high profile player signs with a country football club. Yes, Moama have also picked up a quality playing coach, but the other players which have been recruited from Sunbury are said to be hardly up to scratch and incapable of holding a position in a senior side.
As for what dropthesirenAcky mentioned about Campbell, Reyne, Baker and Jones, he is very much on the money. Those blokes missed at least six games each throughout last season, with Baker, Reyne and Jones all playing a fair chunk of the season carrying injury. In the games which were played with those blokes out of the team, United performed very well from what I saw, so I couldn't see them being too far behind the eight ball in 2008, compared to 2007. I guess time will tell, Kards.

Has anyone heard anything from the Numurkah camp? Have they recruited, or had many depart? They seem to be the only club which hasn't been mentioned on here.

Of course you haven't heard anything positive from Echuca United's campaign, you're involved with Moama! No-one over there is going to concede that their number one rival club is having fantastic recruitment campaign, even if they were or weren't.
The past few years at Moama have been absolutely dreadful, and to be perfectly honest, I haven't heard anything positive about Moama's recruiting this off-season either. Although they were lucky enough to snare the ink of Djarran Whyman, there is a very fine line between a club going very well, and a club going to dirt when such a high profile player signs with a country football club. Yes, Moama have also picked up a quality playing coach, but the other players which have been recruited from Sunbury are said to be hardly up to scratch and incapable of holding a position in a senior side.
As for what dropthesirenAcky mentioned about Campbell, Reyne, Baker and Jones, he is very much on the money. Those blokes missed at least six games each throughout last season, with Baker, Reyne and Jones all playing a fair chunk of the season carrying injury. In the games which were played with those blokes out of the team, United performed very well from what I saw, so I couldn't see them being too far behind the eight ball in 2008, compared to 2007. I guess time will tell, Kards.

Moama have recruited very well, and i'm not being bias. Also i do agree that united did play well together when some of the "big names" were injured last year. it gave others the chance to step up and i hope they can do that this year. I would love nothing more than to see both moama and united have strong teams so we could give the town a GREAT RIVAL MATCH and be competative in the league...unlike the encounters the last two years. just like in 2005 when the results where a draw, and moama by a goal. As for the sunbury boys. Ross sleight got best on in the 2nd semi and the grand final in the ballarat league(obviusly can play), Mcabe was consistently in sunbury best players and luke allen is supposed to be a solid fullfoward who kicked 60 goals in 2006, but had an interupted season last year. Ballarat league is a standard above murray, if these boys can dominate at their level, i would dare say they could play some good footy at ours.....

Has anyone heard anything from the Numurkah camp? Have they recruited, or had many depart? They seem to be the only club which hasn't been mentioned on here.

Numerka have gained the services of Former GV inter league rep and Shepp Bear Tyson Saunders, he will be joining the club as the ass coach. Saunders is about 6'4 and will play in the ruck for Numerka, he is fairly mobile and has good decent skills.
they also recruited Hokins from Mooroopna. Not really sure about the info on this bloke. I think he is a CHF or CHB.
Colins is off to Rochester and Bryce wellington is still struggling with his hamstrings.

Have to agree with Kards, as I posted on here a couple of weeks ago the Sunbury boys stats do stack up and they will be very handy acquisitions for the club.
Is the mail true that the Good Friday clash between Moama and United has been scrapped?

Rumba had their first training run for the year on Monday had around 25-30 blokes on the track. Interesting to see Darren Turner back again.
With a new coach, someone else for him to break in before going somewhere else.

Echuca United's Corey Wanganeen has signed on to have Rumbalara as his interchange Club when not playing with Bendigo Bombers, along with Rex Taylor. Both will play between 4 - 6 games back at Rumba this year. Will come in very handy indeed.

Summer recuits Derick Murray and John Jackson looked in good nick and will be handy as well. And a couple of blokes I didn't know but was told they can go abit.

So far so good. See how we look in a months time. Until then. Morgs.

Have to agree with Kards, as I posted on here a couple of weeks ago the Sunbury boys stats do stack up and they will be very handy acquisitions for the club.
Is the mail true that the Good Friday clash between Moama and United has been scrapped?

Thanks hank...
well its not on the site... but people are still sayin its happening?? surely they would not leave it out. the rival games are great to watch and they bring in alot of money to the clubs. its always a great way to kick of the season and good way to put your rivals back in there place and give some braggin rights around town for a few months haha
would be great if someone in the know could give us a definate answer??!!

Kards 1 - Hank

I think you will find that the Murray Football League has an agreement in place with the Murray Valley Cricket Association that no games of football will take place regardless before 1st April. Doesn't make alot of sence to me when clubs could cash in on bigger gates takings $$ around Easter with extra people about.

Hooroo from the Gooroo

I was said that they may swap it from round five , but then I think it was too early and would have thrown out the preparation . As for the Guru , who cares if two clubs get bigger gate takings , I believe It was there brain child , so they deserve the spoils , even if were all going to hell for It according to my mum!;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kards 1 - Hank

I think you will find that the Murray Football League has an agreement in place with the Murray Valley Cricket Association that no games of football will take place regardless before 1st April. Doesn't make alot of sence to me when clubs could cash in on bigger gates takings $$ around Easter with extra people about.

Hooroo from the Gooroo
Not sure of the agreement with the MVCA but that association is seriously ridiculas all there finals are finished by 15 or 16 of march. they are just an average leaugue but think there are bordering on Melbourne premier cricket status its a joke.

I think with easter around the 20th of march it will be to early for the clubs in way of their preparation, imagine if either one loses that game and the come finals they miss out by one game. if they had of not played on easter weekend and used the extra two weeks (think we start 5th April) for prep it may have turned out differently. i know matches are truely the only way to get match fitness but in the grand scheme of playing finals it could be to costly for the clubs.

Thanks hank...
well its not on the site... but people are still sayin its happening?? surely they would not leave it out. the rival games are great to watch and they bring in alot of money to the clubs. its always a great way to kick of the season and good way to put your rivals back in there place and give some braggin rights around town for a few months haha
would be great if someone in the know could give us a definate answer??!!

Well can let you all know, confirmed last night at training, Moama will be playing Tongala @ Moama on Good Friday. True what bystanding backman is saying with preperation for the season, has put us two weeks behind where we thought we would be at, but in the end the incentives for both clubs outweigh that. We will just have to train for an extra half hour or so everynight to get ourselves up to scratch!!

Well can let you all know, confirmed last night at training, Moama will be playing Tongala @ Moama on Good Friday. True what bystanding backman is saying with preperation for the season, has put us two weeks behind where we thought we would be at, but in the end the incentives for both clubs outweigh that. We will just have to train for an extra half hour or so everynight to get ourselves up to scratch!!

Which is the last round game, suppose that means both teams have a bye rd 20, could be handy before finals to have a bye.....or not maybe.

Congupna approached us ( Toc ) to play the traditional Good Friday game for points but we have gone against the idea only for the reason that it cuts a couple of weeks off the pre season program. We will still be playing a practice match against them though.

Congupna approached us ( Toc ) to play the traditional Good Friday game for points but we have gone against the idea only for the reason that it cuts a couple of weeks off the pre season program. We will still be playing a practice match against them though.

That is definatly the better option at least it will be a proper hitout and gain match fitness but there is nothing on the line. it will give the blokes who may be a little behind a way to gain some extra fitness before the serious stuff starts.

Just think there is only 66 odd days left till Good Friday
Not long till the season Yipee.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

will it be the round 7 or the round 20 match that will be a bye for both teams?????

Not sure that that has been decided yet, Round 20 could be ok with one or both sides maybe getting a week off to freshen up for a finals game. Round 7 is the week before the General Bye so would probably rather play that week as its not ideal to have two weeks off in a row. Playing a side twice in the first 6 games would be different though.

Not sure that that has been decided yet, Round 20 could be ok with one or both sides maybe getting a week off to freshen up for a finals game. Round 7 is the week before the General Bye so would probably rather play that week as its not ideal to have two weeks off in a row. Playing a side twice in the first 6 games would be different though.
How is NT treating ya Hank?

How is NT treating ya Hank?

Got back Tuesday mate, was a good week, some solid drinking. Wasn't too hot either 32 during the day and 26 at night. Walked out of nightclub Sundy morning to be told the city was in lockdown, no way to get home, rain was pelting down, they had 250mm in 2hrs, most towns around here would be happy with that in a year in the current climate.
Footy was good watched 3 senior games Satdy, Southern Districts went down to St. Marys in the night game by 5pts, Percy kicked 1 goal 5 from CHF.
Watched game Sunday also with 3 Ky boys running around 2 in the twos and Ryan Butler in the ones.

Got back Tuesday mate, was a good week, some solid drinking. Wasn't too hot either 32 during the day and 26 at night. Walked out of nightclub Sundy morning to be told the city was in lockdown, no way to get home, rain was pelting down, they had 250mm in 2hrs, most towns around here would be happy with that in a year in the current climate.
Footy was good watched 3 senior games Satdy, Southern Districts went down to St. Marys in the night game by 5pts, Percy kicked 1 goal 5 from CHF.
Watched game Sunday also with 3 Ky boys running around 2 in the twos and Ryan Butler in the ones.

Yeah i was talking to Purce Sunday morning and he said he was on his way to pick you up. He gave me the run down of the first loss he has been involved in since being up there. He wasnt happy with snagging 1 goal 5 either.
How did Butts go??

Yeah i was talking to Purce Sunday morning and he said he was on his way to pick you up. He gave me the run down of the first loss he has been involved in since being up there. He wasnt happy with snagging 1 goal 5 either.
How did Butts go??

started off slowly as a permanent forward pocket, but worked into the game in the last half, spent a bit of time onball and got in the best. They (waratahs 5th) went down to nightcliff(6th) by 4 or 5 goals.

would think it be round 20 as it is Moama's home game, dont think Tonny would want to play Moama twice at Moama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back