NAB Cup - Round 1: Richmond V Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez mate, Campbell played 16 games in the WAFL last year, Drum played 8, Gilmore played 4 straight in the WAFL before he was out injured, Hinkley played 16, Duffield 10, and Foster had 10 of the first 11 in the WAFL also before getting injured. Ballantyne sounds handy but hasn't played a game yet.

If these guys are in your best 25 then you're in some serious trouble.

Taking out the rookies, we are down to 30 players on our list who have actually played senior AFL, only 25 who have played >10 games.

You probably couldn't care less, but I count a clear group of 15 who must be selected each week (incl Mayne and Drum), and then another group of 10-12 (give or take a few rookies who impress) who will be making up the numbers , this includes Campbell, Gilmore, Hinkley, Duffield, Ballantyne. I would say only Foster and Thornton are out of our best ~25, but coaches seem to persist with Thornton.

So its not that far off the mark, maybe we are in trouble! The NAB cup will be interesting for us to see which of our youngsters can push themselves up the selection pecking order.

Well Haggard H, strauchy - if you guys know of anyone else who is more likely to be in the top 25, let me know.

* Campbell kicked multiple bags playing in the WAFL; ended up playing the last 4 games for the Dockers and would have the nod over Murphy as the 3rd forward.
* Drum is 21, being groomed as a KPP and played 9 AFL games last season, including the last 4 (picking up 24 D, 7 M, 4 T in rd 22).
* Gilmore still played 7 afl games and would be the 3rd choice ruck and ahead of Head as a medium sized defender.
* Hinkley looked great in the last game v Collingwood where he picked up 18 D and 8 M, and many Freo followers would have him pencilled in on a wing ahead of Peake.
* Duffield played more AFL than he did WAFL last year including the last 6 games.
* I'm not sure if you've seen much of Foster but he looks the goods also. I'd have him in the team before O'Brien and Browne.
* Ballantyne would be the 1st choice small forward with the departures of Farmer and Mark Johnson.

There is no more Bell, Black, Farmer, Carr x2, McManus or Warnock. The only other players we have on the list are 1st year draftees and rookies.

I think our first 22 is not too bad but after that we drop away fast and when injuries hit we will likely struggle.

I'm still looking forward to the game - I want to see how the new players go and of course I want them to be competitive but Richmond is the stronger team on paper and I'm tipping them to win.

Taking out the rookies, we are down to 30 players on our list who have actually played senior AFL, only 25 who have played >10 games.

You probably couldn't care less, but I count a clear group of 15 who must be selected each week (incl Mayne and Drum), and then another group of 10-12 (give or take a few rookies who impress) who will be making up the numbers , this includes Campbell, Gilmore, Hinkley, Duffield, Ballantyne. I would say only Foster and Thornton are out of our best ~25, but coaches seem to persist with Thornton.

So its not that far off the mark, maybe we are in trouble! The NAB cup will be interesting for us to see which of our youngsters can push themselves up the selection pecking order.

Can't deny your facts, and I suppose they give weight to your opinion. Man, it could be a long couple of years in the West.

It was Pattison.
I happened about 15 metres in front of me
Yep if you pause it as he takes the grab you can see number 26 on his back, and as he hits the deck you can see it's definately his unkempt mop. Definate cause for confusion though he looks very athletic in that clip, hardly the awkward lurch we're used to.

Perhaps, although it could be they want to see what Silvester is like in bigger games, and this is a 'safe' way of trying him out.

NAB cup is for 4 things.

Giving new kids a run.
Testing out the 'marginal' players.
Letting the regulars shake off some rust.
Trying out new plans/positions.

All are valid, and good coaching would be balancing all 4.
True but you'd think Rance qualifies ahead of an 'insurance policy' player.

Evening all. Being in North Queensland i miss a lot of the real footy news you get on the ground in Vic. Can anyone update me with how our rookies are progressing over the pre-season. Especially interested in the kid we dumped and picked up again from WA...Gourdis...

Cheers

Wilbur

No way that was Patto... Long hair, great leap.. Couldn't be him. 100% positive it wasn't Patto

Patto is surprisingly athletic. With his massive tank I can see why they're trialling him at CHF.

Richmond is the stronger team on paper and I'm tipping them to win.

We've still got Trent Cotchin, Mark Coughlan, Will Thursfield and Ben Cousins (for starters) who aren't in our squad.

Both teams are leaving out quality players.

Richmond just has more depth :cool:

We've still got Trent Cotchin, Mark Coughlan, Will Thursfield and Ben Cousins (for starters) who aren't in our squad.

Both teams are leaving out quality players.

Richmond just has more depth :cool:

Spot on. Add to that list best 22 players including Kane Johnson, Adam Pattison and (arguably) Daniel Connors. Thats 7 of our best 22 players out, 8 if you include Polak. Not making any excuses though, given the player exodus they just faced, freos best 22 shouldnt be much better than our worst 22!

I'm loving the inclusions of Nahas, Collins and Post :thumbsu:

Should take care of a team that comes out of that. Much more inexperienced than our lot.

I'm going to be even blunter PHX - it's hard to find half a dozen players we'd take for free out of that lot if we could extend our list to 50. ;)

Freo will go close to collecting the spoon this year. Looking forward to seeing Hill and a couple of the younger blokes go around though.

Well Haggard H, strauchy - if you guys know of anyone else who is more likely to be in the top 25, let me know.

* Campbell kicked multiple bags playing in the WAFL; ended up playing the last 4 games for the Dockers and would have the nod over Murphy as the 3rd forward.
* Drum is 21, being groomed as a KPP and played 9 AFL games last season, including the last 4 (picking up 24 D, 7 M, 4 T in rd 22).
* Gilmore still played 7 afl games and would be the 3rd choice ruck and ahead of Head as a medium sized defender.
* Hinkley looked great in the last game v Collingwood where he picked up 18 D and 8 M, and many Freo followers would have him pencilled in on a wing ahead of Peake.
* Duffield played more AFL than he did WAFL last year including the last 6 games.
* I'm not sure if you've seen much of Foster but he looks the goods also. I'd have him in the team before O'Brien and Browne.
* Ballantyne would be the 1st choice small forward with the departures of Farmer and Mark Johnson.

There is no more Bell, Black, Farmer, Carr x2, McManus or Warnock. The only other players we have on the list are 1st year draftees and rookies.

I think our first 22 is not too bad but after that we drop away fast and when injuries hit we will likely struggle.

I'm still looking forward to the game - I want to see how the new players go and of course I want them to be competitive but Richmond is the stronger team on paper and I'm tipping them to win.

We feel your pain with blooding new players, but its the only way you will improve. Throw the new players in and see what happens, we were there, only a short time ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Rance?

Thats what I was saying! Surely with all these inclusions into our team such as Cousins, Hislop, Thomson, Post, Vickery etc who are all pushing for spots if you have any interest in playing this kid it would be in the NAB to see how he goes. Maybe TW just sees him as a player that will fill holes in defence if someone goes down with an injury which in my opinion is not smart. Mcmahon out Rance in anyone? Anyways even if he is a spot filler you would still take him over for the NAB.

Could be carrying an injury but haven't heard anything at all.

From what I have heard I believe the reasoning behind no Rance is the fact that Postie has had such an impressive pre-season and Wallace is rewarding him with the game tomorrow.

Reading between the lines, does this mean Wallace thinks Post is a best prospect to Rance? Remember Post is Rance's age as he was a top-age pick. Let's just hope Rance isn't another Gus Graham, all size, no performance. I have also heard that Post and Rance (Rance impacticular) both had a few training sessions in the midfield to pottentially be groomed for a Richo-esk wingman role.

Good luck to the Tiges with this game. Get the year off to a great start! :thumbsu:

Yeah, i second that, hope you have a good season, we need clubs like Richmond and their supporters back in the finals.

Just as a side note, most Pies supporters will be with you this week, as a Richmond win means a Pies vs Tigers game at the dome on a thursday night, and we all know our 2 clubs have the most passionate and loud supporters in the league, would just be a great atmosphere for a NAB Cup game if it pans out.

mm bit confused as to why rance isnt in the squad.. big wraps on him, but cant get a gig in the nab cup?

I was really looking forward to seeing rance play.hope they can still change the side and he gets a go

Yeah, i second that, hope you have a good season, we need clubs like Richmond and their supporters back in the finals.

Just as a side note, most Pies supporters will be with you this week, as a Richmond win means a Pies vs Tigers game at the dome on a thursday night, and we all know our 2 clubs have the most passionate and loud supporters in the league, would just be a great atmosphere for a NAB Cup game if it pans out.

yeah i hope we play the pies always a great crowd even if its nab cup

will sidebottom get a gig in the nab cup?

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Cup - Round 1: Richmond V Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back