Name the KPF/KPD you'd like us to get with our first pick

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't see Brisbane drafting McCarthy. They just resigned Staker, grabbed Paine in the trade period, signed McGuane as a DFA and last year recruited Stefan Martin. Plus they've just lost a bunch of running/mid type players.

Surely they'll pick up the best available midfielder at pick 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't see Brisbane drafting McCarthy. They just resigned Staker, grabbed Paine in the trade period, signed McGuane as a DFA and last year recruited Stefan Martin. Plus they've just lost a bunch of running/mid type players.

Surely they'll pick up the best available midfielder at pick 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think this is right. They also recently got Michael Close, Marco Paparone, Justin Clarke and they've got that Hawthorn reject whose name escapes me, so tall marking forwards are probably the last thing they need/would be looking at.

Think this is right. They also recently got Michael Close, Marco Paparone, Justin Clarke and they've got that Hawthorn reject whose name escapes me, so tall marking forwards are probably the last thing they need/would be looking at.

Plus others in the know have suggested pick 7 is too early to use on McCarthy.

Hawthorn picked a tall forward last year.
He was taken at pick 28 though. Also won't play (most likely) for a couple of years until he builds his body. They would have also suspected that Buddy was leaving. I don't see anyone taking McCarthy before us.

He was taken at pick 28 though. Also won't play (most likely) for a couple of years until he builds his body. They would have also suspected that Buddy was leaving. I don't see anyone taking McCarthy before us.
They knew Buddy was going. Carlton/Richmond/Geelong could all take him from us. I'll be highly surprised if he's there.

They knew Buddy was going. Carlton/Richmond/Geelong could all take him from us. I'll be highly surprised if he's there.
I disagree. Next years crop is supposed to be alot deeper with better tall options. Victorian options. I doubt they'll go for a WA KPF in this years draft, when doing so prevents them from getting a quality mid. Geelong have Tomahawk, Vardy and Kersten. The tigers are ok for talls for a few more years and could probably afford to go for a tall next year. Carlton, maybe, but I think they need to build midfield depth and would probably look at drafting a tall/talls next year. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but if he is gone we might be a chance to snare Darcy Gardiner (someone I think Rich, Geelong and Carltank would all go for before McCarthy). If not Marsh is another option.

Carlton, maybe, but I think they need to build midfield depth and would probably look at drafting a tall/talls next year.

I'd be very surprised if Carlton didn't draft tall first up. They have a massive over reliance on Waite who is injured more often than not while Henderson and Casboult just aren't that good.

I disagree. Next years crop is supposed to be alot deeper with better tall options. Victorian options. I doubt they'll go for a WA KPF in this years draft, when doing so prevents them from getting a quality mid. Geelong have Tomahawk, Vardy and Kersten. The tigers are ok for talls for a few more years and could probably afford to go for a tall next year. Carlton, maybe, but I think they need to build midfield depth and would probably look at drafting a tall/talls next year. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but if he is gone we might be a chance to snare Darcy Gardiner (someone I think Rich, Geelong and Carltank would all go for before McCarthy). If not Marsh is another option.
I hope you're right. Simply put, Carlton need a forward desperately. Richmond have Riewoldt, but I have little confidence about Vickery, hes a dud and Edwards is in and out of the team. For Geelong, Vardy is injury prone and Kersten hasn't played a game yet. Would be surprised if Geelong did take him though. As far as Gardiner goes, if hes available at GWS's #15? I'd imagine they'd be taking him, they need defenders and hes the best one in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be very surprised if Carlton didn't draft tall first up. They have a massive over reliance on Waite who is injured more often than not while Henderson and Casboult just aren't that good.

Potentially they could, but I'd think that they'd draft Gardiner before they draft McCarthy. Gardiner is a defender, I know but he's a quality tall and the best KD in the draft. Put it this way if they grab McCarthy and Gardiner is still available I'd hope Freo would pick him. IMO Carlton drafting McCarthy is paying overs. I agree it could happen, but I doubt it.

If Gardiner is our pick, I will not be disappointed, Anyone that has been involved in high level sport knows that the most important thing to being successful is an incredible desire to be successful. Seeing his clip on afl.com shows he has it in spades, Not sure if I've seen anyone with the eye of the tiger like he has.
He looks angry.
I'm thinking him over Marsh will be a decent decision as we know what we are getting - a TRUE key position player.
We'll be setting up our Key backs (Him and Smith) for the next 10 years and looking at next years apparent bumper crop of talented fwds. Works for me.

Gardiner would be a fine player but no amount of application will make him bigger. In the prime of his career he will be competing against key forwards that can reach a hand above him in the marking contest.

He could well end up the captain of the club that picks him, floating around the third tall. Then again, he could have a Fyfe spurt and pick up that gap to compete against the 2m tall next generation forwards.

I figure Tanner Smith will take the Gorilla, with his Fletcher type make up. Gardiner to be the Jonno - or the Mcpharlin type (who goes alright against the gorilla's and is only 193 cm)

I figure Tanner Smith will take the Gorilla, with his Fletcher type make up. Gardiner to be the Jonno - or the Mcpharlin type (who goes alright against the gorilla's and is only 193 cm)

You're absolutely right on the McPharlin front, to look at the key forwards of their generation; Fev (191), Pav (192), Nick Riewoldt (193), J Brown (195). All about the mark.

Tom Boyd 198, J Patton 197

These boys are trending upwards.

Franklin 196cm.
I think if Smith develops like we all hope we will have a rangy type that can do the job on bigger types.
Gardiner has already played on Boyd and done extremely well.
I guess we'll see..I still hope we get Mcarthy..

Does anyone know what Gardner's speed and agility is like?

To be a 192cm defender it would have to elite if we are considering using a first round pick on him. He may grow the 3cm's he need to be a KPD, but you not count on that.

After the last few days discussion I would not be disappointed if we got any of McCarthy, Gardener or Marsh. I am just hoping that there isn't some unforeseen hiccup that means we miss all three. I will not be impressed if we take a mid with our first pick.

After the last few days discussion I would not be disappointed if we got any of McCarthy, Gardener or Marsh. I am just hoping that there isn't some unforeseen hiccup that means we miss all three. I will not be impressed if we take a mid with our first pick.

Would you be comfortable if we took Marsh as a midfielder?

I would but only if McCarthy or Gardiner isn't there. 192cm lightning quick players don't come around often and he just needs tutelage and skills training. Speed Kills.

Yes and no. I would be happy we took him and disappointed that we use him as a mid. Just as I was disappointed that Pav was a 192 mid for a season or two there. Not that he didn't do a good job just that we all knew he was better as a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Name the KPF/KPD you'd like us to get with our first pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back