Nathan Ablett officially quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: One for N Ablett to read

If he doesn't want to play you can't make him play. AFL is not for everybody. Maybe it's fair enough that he doesn't want to spend his summers puking his guts up after 4 x 400m sprints

I only hope he's got something better to do. If he's quitting football he should at least have a plan like The Man Mundine

If he doesn't want to play you can't make him play. AFL is not for everybody. Maybe it's fair enough that he doesn't want to spend his summers puking his guts up after 4 x 400m sprints

I only hope he's got something better to do. If he's quitting football he should at least have a plan like The Man Mundine
For his sake, I hope he ends up nothing like Mundine.

As Christopher Marlowe quoted "Che sera, sera" - what will be, will be

What if Nablett gave the game away for reasons other than media scrutiny and the fame or infamy of the Ablett name?

What if he is just not interested in playing AFL football?

We are told that sometimes the GFC players read these posts, so here goes.

Nathan, I agree with you that the media hounds players and their lives constantly. It seems as though your life is constantly out there, giving you no room to breathe.

Your vision of a free life as you once had it is long gone, now crowded with the hype surrounding your namesake.

There really is only one way you can resolve all of this, to lead and challenge yourself to rise above the mirth and become a great footballer. Sure all of us that write on here are a little bias, however resolving to a past life will not fix the situation.

You have the name of Ablett which comes with a great deal of notoriety, which your father tried this exact same response to the thrust of the media, which we all know the outcome.

The only real way to respond to all of this is to rise to the challenge, take it on.

Giving it away will only increase the media hype, sure it will die down after a while, but I can assure you that in 10 years you will left with the contemplation of what if. It was something that your father couldn't live without, so he came back.

My last words will be a quote from Shakespeare, "We all know what we are, but not what we can be".

Very good post :thumbsu:

If football is his love, but not his life though then after winning an AFL premiership and seeing your dad who was the best VFL/AFL player ever and your brother who is the best AFL player currently, (better even than Judd) then he would be more qualified than anyone to know whether he should play or not, as he has seen it all and almost (through his family) done it all.

I dearly wish Nathan would play again. He really does have an aura of potential greatness that has nothing to do with his name or pedigree. Would be heartbreaking to see him not live up to it. I just remember how he was against Carlton. He played like Wayne Carey that night and in his 2nd game against West Coast. This kid could be anything if he had the passion of his brother.

I think we all hope he plays because he is good fun to watch. As much as it is about premierships and winning we also go to watch the talent and marvel at what these athletes can do on the field.

Having said that though we have our premiership and I have witnessed one of the best teams to pull on boots. Of course I hope we win back to back, threepeat and then go on to win 6 in a row. But quiet simply I am content to have at least got the one allusive one, the Cup of a Million Fairytales.

So if he is happy to leave then he should. He owes nobody anything (he gave us our cup) and doesnt need to prove anything.

Hmmm I think we should all leave the guy alone. I think he wants to be left alone. He wants his privacy.
He is a great player. he will come back when he feels he is ready to play footy again.
He's my niece's favourite player.

Re: nathan ablett

Spoke to selwood at a restaurant recently and he said nathan's training with the boys at the club, but its behind closed doors away from the cameras. Whether this means he's in for 08 or just keeping fit im not sure.
are u serious or just making up bullshit for fun??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: nathan ablett

for gods sake stop talking about nathan ablett.

Its getting a bit monotnous dont you think guys?

Leave the kid alone and stop talking about him.

Come on Nathan, rise above the mirth. What?!!

Rise above the joviality (mirth), that the paper brings, most of the stories on these guys are just that. It surely is hilarious for most players that don't believe the printed media, it is just serious for those that don't believe in themselves and worry about their persona.

If it is crap and untrue, the player is the only one that can make a fuss about it or just turn a blind eye and have a good chuckle.

I hope he does play football, but at the end he should do wat is best for him

SirLankanCat, I do agree with you. That his best interests should be kept at heart, however if we all hide from taking things on when a challenge arises, I'd hate to see the results.

We often tell ourselves we cannot stand something or cannot do something, yet continue to do rise above it and succeed. He still has a very large amount of improvement left and he can become part of another successful team (fingers crossed, lid back on), but hiding is not an enduring trait.

Leaving the game will only give him torment later in life. I'm positive of that.

Saw him in Torqay yesterday. Looked pretty relaxed and happy. Hasn't lost any shape though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Ablett officially quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back