News Nathan Ablett signs with Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

3 years out of the system...no junior footy in the system...inherited his father's disdain for training....
Good luck with that!
All the talent in the world won't make up for lack of true desire at an elite level.
I wish he had his brother's passion but he clearly doesn't.
Just because he may play VFL on the GC next year doesn't mean he wants to play AFL either.

Should Ablett agree to play for the Gold Coast, the club will be able to sign him without having him enter the draft, because he has been out of the system for three years.

Hasnt he only been out of the system officially one year?

Like father, like son running away from the "limelight" and deciding to play in a club where he can get around with little fanfare and personal intrusion. Can't say I'm not disappointed that he couldn't find this at sleepy hollow.

I will say good luck once Gary's signed his contract. Would be strange playing againts him though: scarlo, etc getting into him about being 'weak', and Gary potentially cracking the sh*ts with the tactics employed to put him off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

interesting thing is that they will not get him to sign a VFL contract and just use him as a top up player because he never signed a contract with Broadbeach come 2011 he will be 3 years without a club and can be signed with out going into the draft.

This could also work in Geelong's favor couldn't it? Moons retires, Gaz signs on to stay and Nate comes back to Geelong?

Like father, like son running away from the "limelight" and deciding to play in a club where he can get around with little fanfare and personal intrusion. Can't say I'm not disappointed that he couldn't find this at sleepy hollow.

Have to agree. If true the GC is a perfect place for him. He can play and be unknown around the place. I am not surprised if this is true.

I will say good luck once Gary's signed his contract. Would be strange playing againts him though: scarlo, etc getting into him about being 'weak', and Gary potentially cracking the sh*ts with the tactics employed to put him off.

I don't think they would bother. Let him relax and feel comfortable - it's his worst enemy.

3 years out of the system...no junior footy in the system...inherited his father's disdain for training....
Good luck with that!
All the talent in the world won't make up for lack of true desire at an elite level.
I wish he had his brother's passion but he clearly doesn't.
Just because he may play VFL on the GC next year doesn't mean he wants to play AFL either.

C'mon witsend, let's not kid ourselves. Nate's dad didn't NEED to train hard to turn a match on its head by himself. Yabby Jeans didn't know this/chose to ignore it and Gary walked out and shut the door on Hawthorn, where his brother was a premiership player. John Devine didn't know this/chose to ignore it and Gary nearly walked out on Geelong.

Malcolm Blight knew this. Him and Gary came to an understanding about training and, though it wasn't really fair to the rest of the team who had to train more often, Gaz blazed under Blighty.

I know football's a team sport and everyone should work as hard as one another, united as one under the team banner but sometimes wisdom dictates another way with certain players.

I always just thought Nate was the sort of player that would play at the level that was required. In VFL matches, he played like a VFL player, in AFL he could just flick the switch and play like an AFL player. I wish him the best if he goes the GC route, as I think he is a fantastic talent. I'd even go and watch them play Port Melbourne if he was playing.

interesting thing is that they will not get him to sign a VFL contract and just use him as a top up player because he never signed a contract with Broadbeach come 2011 he will be 3 years without a club and can be signed with out going into the draft.

This could also work in Geelong's favor couldn't it? Moons retires, Gaz signs on to stay and Nate comes back to Geelong?

How does it work in Geelong's favour?

I am surprised. Maybe it’s a shortage of readies. I’m just glad we’re rid of him. An underachiever who’s contribution with us was grossly over-rated. He’s been out of elite level football for years and only last year failed to fulfil the much lesser commitments with the local Gold Coast club he was playing with. The only reason I can think of as to why the GC would be the slightest bit interested in a player who lacks drive and commitment would be as a lure for his brother.

Nathan Ablett has to be outside of ALL AFL football (including country football) for 3 seasons before a team can claim him outside the draft (ala Carmichael Hunt).

Ablett has been playing with Broadbeach in the QFL in 2009 so he is obviously NOT outside the system.

Not sure how the GC plan to draft him... Maybe as an uncontracted player in the Pre-Season draft in 2010??
Maybe they can take him in the national draft in 2010, either very early on, or maybe they will gamble and aim to pick him up later in the draft believing no other club will draft him knowing they have no chance of getting him to play??

I wonder if he had a massive change of heart and wanted to play again, if it were possible for Geelong to re-draft him under the father son rule? Probably not, but I have never seen anywhere that says otherwise..

Didn't he have a contract with us until the end of 2008?
If he did, he would only be 2 years out of the system (09 & 10).
Is there any way GC could get him without nominating for the draft? If he has to nominate we could offer a 4th pick for him, & force GC too use an earlier pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Nathan Ablett signs with Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back