Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd keep Tyler as I think he's got clean ball handling, is a pretty good athlete, and is still improving. He might get there. I don't want him playing midfield in the ones at the moment though. Try him back pocket or play him in the reserves.
What attributes do you see in him to suggest suitability for a back pocket?

• Strength one on one in a marking contest - like Maynard who can play taller?
  • Pace for taking on small forwards and running the ball to start attacks - Quaynor, Noble, Maynard?
  • Distribution skills by foot - IQ, Maynard?
  • Aerial skills for intercept marking or spoiling a taller opponent - Howe?

• Pace for taking on small forwards and running the ball to start attacks - Quaynor, Noble, Maynard?

Not sure if you've seen his VFL games, but he's actually looked quite good in the air. I think he's got the potential to be solid in the air and with his clean hands mop up well at ground level to feed dinky stuff out to runners - which is how most of our transition from defence begins. Can also become one of the runners, as that running from defence is really pattern stuff where you don't need to have the same game sense as mids. Although that's where his disposal would be a concern.

A reminder of his draft highlights.

a player is around for half a dozen years in the afl and vfl and then a poster puts an old video from his schoolboy years to show what he can do....

i might drag out dad's old super 8mm video of me playing footy to get a game with the pies
Great timing from the camera man to get some footage of him not injured.

a player is around for half a dozen years in the afl and vfl and then a poster puts an old video from his schoolboy years to show what he can do....

i might drag out dad's old super 8mm video of me playing footy to get a game with the pies
Or you could whip out the highlights of him slaughtering the dogs last weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad you’re trying to pot a kid whose lost most of those 6 years due to COVID or injury.

Last edited:

I remember being really impressed with those highlights at the time. Particularly his kicking. Sadly he has never shown that consistently at VFL or AFL level. I live in hope but doubt it will ever happen. Think it might be a confidence issue.

Sad you’re trying to pot a kid whose lost most of those 6 years due to COVID or injury.

But then again we shouldn’t expect brain surgeons to be posting here.

actually i wasnt potting murphy..... i just thought it was strange to show schoolboy highlights for a player who has played a number of games at VFL and AFL level, as if the schoolboy stuff could actually show something useful...

maybe people should watch last week's VFL game....

I remember being really impressed with those highlights at the time. Particularly his kicking. Sadly he has never shown that consistently at VFL or AFL level. I live in hope but doubt it will ever happen. Think it might be a confidence issue.

i used to kick pretty good when i was at school too - i'm a shocker now but dont tell the pies... i'm sending them the tape

Or you could whip out the highlights of him slaughtering the dogs last weekend

personally i think he should play ahead of ruscoe, unless he wants more time at vfl level....

if you've been in the system as long as he has been, you should either in the AFL team or ready to go. We need to make a decision on him while he's playing at AFL level.

I agree He has the remainder of the 2022 season to prove that he can cut it AFL level. Otherwise either de-listed or put up for trade although I really do not think that he has much trade currency. Goodnight & good luck.

Thought he showed glimpses in this game against the bombers at half time:

Attachments

• 1663FF26-1C15-4F3D-B27E-83952EDF887A.jpeg
    1663FF26-1C15-4F3D-B27E-83952EDF887A.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 48
actually i wasnt potting murphy..... i just thought it was strange to show schoolboy highlights for a player who has played a number of games at VFL and AFL level, as if the schoolboy stuff could actually show something useful...

maybe people should watch last week's VFL game....
I’m what way were the highlights not useful?

I’m what way were the highlights not useful?

well obviously not useful as an indication of what he might do this year as those highlights are probably misleading...but even more than that... that the highlights werent even interesting anymore, other than an analysis of why the recruiting people might have recruited him and why they made the mistake that he was going to be a top 10 draft pick.

And I suppose that's me that finds it uninteresting. Some people love going over old news. Personally, I'd just like to see him given a chance this year to show if he can be part of the backline, before he is dropped off the list. I accept that he's injury prone - for a variety of reasons. And I generally like to give players a chance post major injuries, but not when a player is so injury prone that they cant provide some consistent output to the team.

I'd put him in the same basket as the two browns and mason cox..... and even will kelly who is so far off the radar that he will probably never deserve a game. And the strategy I think the club should be using is to use the rest of this year to give them a chance to show something. So thats why I think he should be in the team ahead of Ruscoe.

well obviously not useful as an indication of what he might do this year as those highlights are probably misleading...but even more than that... that the highlights werent even interesting anymore, other than an analysis of why the recruiting people might have recruited him and why they made the mistake that he was going to be a top 10 draft pick.

And I suppose that's me that finds it uninteresting. Some people love going over old news. Personally, I'd just like to see him given a chance this year to show if he can be part of the backline, before he is dropped off the list. I accept that he's injury prone - for a variety of reasons. And I generally like to give players a chance post major injuries, but not when a player is so injury prone that they cant provide some consistent output to the team.

I'd put him in the same basket as the two browns and mason cox..... and even will kelly who is so far off the radar that he will probably never deserve a game. And the strategy I think the club should be using is to use the rest of this year to give them a chance to show something. So thats why I think he should be in the team ahead of Ruscoe.
i agree with some of what you've said, but don't get why the highlights are misleading and uninteresting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back