Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m what way were the highlights not useful?

i agree with some of what you've said, but don't get why the highlights are misleading and uninteresting?

They are only an indication to why he was recruited in the first place.

How many players looked like guns in the u18 system but failed to fire in AFL footy system.

There is question marks on his pace, he is very one paced shown at AFL level. This impacts his time and space which in turn will impact his decisions and kicking ability which quite obviously was the major highlight if his u18 tape.

They are only an indication to why he was recruited in the first place.

How many players looked like guns in the u18 system but failed to fire in AFL footy system.

There is question marks on his pace, he is very one paced shown at AFL level. This impacts his time and space which in turn will impact his decisions and kicking ability which quite obviously was the major highlight if his u18 tape.
The highlights show he has good intercept marking, excellent accuracy and depth in his kicking, and we know he gives 100%.
Those qualities alone make up for a lack of pace IMO - is he really that much slower than Howe or Langdon?

I think if he got 6-10 games injury free, the potential shown in those highlights could be vindicated.

Last edited:

The highlights show he has good intercept marking, excellent accuracy and depth in his kicking, and we know he gives 100%.
Those qualities alone make up for a lack of pace IMO - is he really that much slower than HOWE?

I think if he got 6-10 games injury free, the potential shown in those highlights could be vindicated.

Yes he is much slower than Howe.

I don't disagree that we need to see what he has but it's not from u18 tapes that the call should be made from.

Here's hoping he can replicate it but given his frailty not sure he will.

I cant agree on Howe but, Murphy's definitely not slower than Langdon.

Based off what? Certainly not the eye test.

Langdon used to hit some pretty high kmh on gps when player tracked for top speed iirc

Murphy at times has looked to struggle to get separation on leads and or keep up with opponents to loose balls ie a foot race at AFL level. Langdon never had those issues.

Based off what? Certainly not the eye test.

Langdon used to hit some pretty high kmh on gps when player tracked for top speed iirc

Murphy at times has looked to struggle to get separation on leads and or keep up with opponents to loose balls ie a foot race at AFL level. Langdon never had those issues.
Where are you getting your gps data from?
Maybe get it for Howe and Murphy so we can have a definitive answer.

Although I have no opinion about how successful he would be, I think he should be given the rest of the season ....lock him in. I'd say the same with the browns, cox and if it didnt stuff up the integrity of selection, will kelly too. I'd probably throw in Tom Wilson too.

Murphy played some games last year and he needs to be given a series of games this year if he shows he's fit. If he is sitting in the VFL hoping that somehow he is going to gain more self confidence or more skills, then the question is when is a decision made on him...

I cant agree on Howe but, Murphy's definitely not slower than Langdon.
People thought Langers was slow because he stopped and propped when he had the ball, but he was really fast if you watched him without the ball. Awesome closing speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just looks slow because footy is played on the land. He's a really fast swimmer.

maybe but i dont think his role involves running. i cant remember seeing him do it. I think some players have roles which involve running but murphy isnt one of them.... so i think it's a little unfair to say that he's slow. Some might argue that his role involves running back to take marks... and he does do a jogging kind of run but I wouldnt say that he is flat out running. It's more of a jog to get under the ball to mark it. It's certainly not part of his role to take handballs and run with the ball. If he has done that role in the past, then it must have only been on a couple of occasions when the main role player in this area has been on the bench. As such, I would say that you would be a hard marker judging murphy in a role that another player is the designated role player.

I remember being really impressed with those highlights at the time. Particularly his kicking. Sadly he has never shown that consistently at VFL or AFL level. I live in hope but doubt it will ever happen. Think it might be a confidence issue.

Sadly, he’s never available consistently to show it at VFL or AFL level. I think he’s given us enough hints to show he still has the skills. Just needs a decent run at it.

Where are you getting your gps data from?
Maybe get it for Howe and Murphy so we can have a definitive answer.

Sprint speeds are included in the AFL stats. Go your hardest finding those comparisons but I’m confident you’ll find Murphy is a fair way behind both Howe and Langdon in terms of top KMH. Love for him to find another 1/2 a yard but can’t see it happening now.

Good luck to him on his senior return today if that eventuates.

Sprint speeds are included in the AFL stats. Go your hardest finding those comparisons but I’m confident you’ll find Murphy is a fair way behind both Howe and Langdon in terms of top KMH. Love for him to find another 1/2 a yard but can’t see it happening now.

Good luck to him on his senior return today if that eventuates.
Do you have a link ?

A reminder of his draft highlights.

While this is the Nathan Murphy thread, I was responding to SR36's suggestion that Tyler Brown become a back pocket.

I can see the merit in Murphy occupying that back pocket role. Now that he's bulked up, he can be stronger in the contest, is already good and courageous in the air and his kicking has the ability to set up play with angles through the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back