NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon the boys down at Broadbeach will be a bit sick in the guts at the moment....losing in the first final to Morningside on the last kick of the day and now seeing the Panthers in a Prelim Final....

Reckon the boys down at Broadbeach will be a bit sick in the guts at the moment....losing in the first final to Morningside on the last kick of the day and now seeing the Panthers in a Prelim Final....

i didn't realize they started the finals in round 21. aspley would feeling a bit sick as well. 2nd and 4th qtr cost them 16 goals to 6

i didn't realize they started the finals in round 21. aspley would feeling a bit sick as well. 2nd and 4th qtr cost them 16 goals to 6

How may goals did Aspleys leadership group give to panthers with undisciplined acts Damo?Aspley had Panthers,Broady,Suns on toast during home and away games,common denominator is lack of discipline from certain players.Should have finished 3rd as led these teams in last qtr and with their record against Vultures,should be hosting this weeks Prelim.

Broady should feel sick.Led by 40 plus 2nd term.No credit given to Panthers for the come from behind win.Only 2 clubs could have achieved this.Panthers and Southport.

How may goals did Aspleys leadership group give to panthers with undisciplined acts Damo?Aspley had Panthers,Broady,Suns on toast during home and away games,common denominator is lack of discipline from certain players.Should have finished 3rd as led these teams in last qtr and with their record against Vultures,should be hosting this weeks Prelim.

Broady should feel sick.Led by 40 plus 2nd term.No credit given to Panthers for the come from behind win.Only 2 clubs could have achieved this.Panthers and Southport.

I think you are missing the point Chikka old boy, enjoy your greatness while it lasts as the new boys on the block look like they will make up a lot of ground on the competition next year - As dammo has pointed out Aspley have a wealth of young blokes who can play and a club house and buisness sense that will gaurantee an influx of good players abeit from down south or even some of the boys going around up here - I think the giant may well be waking from its long time slumber, the only state league side North of the Brisbane River will be a force in the NEAFL just like Zillmere should have been in the QAFL but for funding issues in the past. One poor Qrt of footy (which I would put down to lack of experiance) cost them plenty this year and as you pointed out poor discipline was a contributing factor - once this is sorted out watch out for a reversal of roles with the more traditional clubs.

you don't need to tell me what happened and i am pretty sure they know it themselves

I think you are missing the point Chikka old boy, enjoy your greatness while it lasts as the new boys on the block look like they will make up a lot of ground on the competition next year - As dammo has pointed out Aspley have a wealth of young blokes who can play and a club house and buisness sense that will gaurantee an influx of good players abeit from down south or even some of the boys going around up here - I think the giant may well be waking from its long time slumber, the only state league side North of the Brisbane River will be a force in the NEAFL just like Zillmere should have been in the QAFL but for funding issues in the past. One poor Qrt of footy (which I would put down to lack of experiance) cost them plenty this year and as you pointed out poor discipline was a contributing factor - once this is sorted out watch out for a reversal of roles with the more traditional clubs.

Thats a very diplomatic way of putting it Snorkle:D
All those factors you have just named about Aspley make it quite unbelievable that they haven't done better than this already. If there is a club with all the ducks lined up it is them. Not sure their recruiting has been all that good over the past few years and seems like they have finally recognised that they have some of the best juniors in Qld on their doorstep and more importantly prepared to play them.

You should finish top 2 next year then.

Mt Gravatt to win for mine. Their form hasn't been great but their talent is substantial. If they can click into gear they will give the premiership a big shake.

You should finish top 2 next year then.

"They" should finish 2nd Chikka, that would be a fair estimate, the more traditional sides will struggle year after year from here on in to get through on their name alone, the leauge has caught up with the times - unlike in the past most players dont play for the jumper or for their team mates any more its all about the hoot they can get and when they can get it, unless you are a young bloke and your head gets filled with the play for us crap and we will get you drafted - no substantial income and expenditure no substantial players, that has why Southport has been so sucsessfull over the years.

"They" should finish 2nd Chikka, that would be a fair estimate, the more traditional sides will struggle year after year from here on in to get through on their name alone, the leauge has caught up with the times - unlike in the past most players dont play for the jumper or for their team mates any more its all about the hoot they can get and when they can get it, unless you are a young bloke and your head gets filled with the play for us crap and we will get you drafted - no substantial income and expenditure no substantial players, that has why Southport has been so sucsessfull over the years.

i think msides future is in good nick they are never going to have the finances of aspley or southport but have got a strong group coming through from 16s and 18s as well as some very good players under 21 in their current senior set up. they will also continue to get the better juniors from non neafl clubs as they treat clubs outside the neafl with respect. mtgravatt and mside will be competitive for a very long time and the richer clubs (in $$) will continue to challege and possibly win gfs but money isnt everything.

Just like the basics of the game Snorkle the basics of good quality people don't change. Nothing like a dreamer but i guess. Strangely enough there are highly moralled people who play for the love of the game out there - who can play and a lot of them will be on display for you to watch tomorrow at Redland. Take a leaf from Speedy Unit - obviously a smart bloke. You make excuses for Aspley and inexperience - that is rubbish - you change position to fit what is happening at the time to justify your own decisions.
Injury, List Management, People Management, Conditions, General availability etc etc are all key issues that you as a very loud fence coach may not understand. Money alone doesn't create success - a shallow thought - there is so much background that people like you don't appear to understand.
Aspley may be on the right path but there is no set formula for winning that identifies money as a key factor. Not everybody is wired like you.
Maybe give some credit to Russell Evans for his role in this.

Just like the basics of the game Snorkle the basics of good quality people don't change. Nothing like a dreamer but i guess. Strangely enough there are highly moralled people who play for the love of the game out there - who can play and a lot of them will be on display for you to watch tomorrow at Redland. Take a leaf from Speedy Unit - obviously a smart bloke. You make excuses for Aspley and inexperience - that is rubbish - you change position to fit what is happening at the time to justify your own decisions.
Injury, List Management, People Management, Conditions, General availability etc etc are all key issues that you as a very loud fence coach may not understand. Money alone doesn't create success - a shallow thought - there is so much background that people like you don't appear to understand.
Aspley may be on the right path but there is no set formula for winning that identifies money as a key factor. Not everybody is wired like you.

Luck had its way in the end dont think they will do much better next year never feel there is that X factor with them
wouldnt matter who they recruited will still be the occasional team that puts a couple of qtrs together and wins the accasional game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a joke the grand final isn't being played in Darwin.

I reckon I deserve another chance at having a go at that #24 runner for Mt Gravatt. He's shithouse.

Cast your memory back 12 months OFL.

Nt Thunder finished 5th and departed straight out in first final - this year they are now playing in the G/F.

What changed from their other 2 years of playing in the QAFL? - try for starters, time coupled with the hunger for succses and with that, an abundence of sponsorship money, from Rio Tinto, our Federal Goverment ETC (have a look at their sponsor list in the footy record), which allowed them the luxury of list changes along with the more professional approach each game and of course some poorer NEAFL Clubs selling their home games just to keep their heads above the water line.

I am not saying that the Aspley Hornets will adopt that path - but if they elected to, they are in a far more advanced state than most other NEAFL clubs in S/E Qld without a huge current sponsorship base.

I agree Money alone does not create you succses, but without it in this new age of Footy you are going to go backward at a very quick rate of knots.

I have been to some of the more traditional clubs home games where their so called supporters (thats more than a few) take their own beer and sit in the outer to watch the game - is that supporting your club?

All clubs need to be very proactive in gaining more supporter bases including from within their own club if they are going to survive to these comming changes.

Its time to take your head out of the sand and realize that the face of the game is changing quickly here in Qld/NT and it is either keep ahead of the flow or drown in its backwash.

In regard to Russell Evans - his ability as a coach is more than noted and admired by all who know him, credit and respect is duly given to him and the other members of his coaching staff as he and they took a group of some called no-bodys who were cannon fodder for all in the first two seasons - then he gave them the support and encouragement to believe in themselves first, their ability second and their club thirdly in one and a half years of footy.

At the end of the day it is THIS acheviement that is the thing that sends chills down the spines of the other more tradtional clubs, as this was all done in just three short years.

Not sure why any young fella would go an play at Aspley if they played at any of the current NEAFL sides TBH if they were looking to get drafted. You don't get drafted by playing for a specific club at NEAFL level, you are drafted by playing well in the U18 carnival and for your senior club thereafter.

TBH from what I've been told aspley isn't any better or worse from a coaching perspective than most of the NEAFL clubs. Very few kids chase a $$ when they are still aspiring to play AFL footy from my experience. Its more about how they are treated at their football club that matters.

Snorkle - a club that survives on other ppls misery (pokies) must warm the cockles of your heart??

Not sure why any young fella would go an play at Aspley if they played at any of the current NEAFL sides TBH if they were looking to get drafted. You don't get drafted by playing for a specific club at NEAFL level, you are drafted by playing well in the U18 carnival and for your senior club thereafter.

TBH from what I've been told aspley isn't any better or worse from a coaching perspective than most of the NEAFL clubs. Very few kids chase a $$ when they are still aspiring to play AFL footy from my experience. Its more about how they are treated at their football club that matters.

Snorkle - a club that survives on other ppls misery (pokies) must warm the cockles of your heart??

SMY1305:
I dont think a lot of young blokes get the oportunity to get invited to play at Aspley, they have got plenty of their own juniors comming through judging on this years performance and I dont know if they attract match payments or not. It is not my business or my concern.

What all you observours to my comments are missing - is that the game not only in QLD but across the whole North Eastern region is changing at very rapid rate, it is not about who or how much a player gets paid it is about club survival.

Go and ask your committee members or your President how they along with the club are going to sustain the costs of the cross conference trips alone when the AFL pull their current funding for the NEAFL competition

Remember the current clubs in the first 2 years (so I am led to beleive) that are in this the new NEAFL Competition are there on probation and must come up with the acceptable Business Plans and Sponsorships predictions ETC for the future to maybe win a license to continue to play in this ever evolving new NEAFL format.

If they cannot meet the required criteria it will be back the the PHC Competition just like the Magpies (although I am led to believe it was their call on this relegation last year). The next ones to go will be directed.

With that in mind, currently I can only count three clubs in the South East region that could possibly fund a true football operation in that order - one from the Gold Coast and two from Brisbane (does that remind you of the early rumours of the format of the comp).

Your Very Febal comment of the misery brought on by a weakness to walk away or walk past a poker machine (you forgot to mention the alcoholics as well - as it has been mentioned on this forum that the fat beer drinkers in the bar at Aspley are very opininated would this count as them), I dont think is anywhere near what is funding the current footy clubs in Qld (it is saving you a shit load of more taxes though), if it is, then all clubs are at an equall, as the last time I checked all NEAFL clubs or clubhouses had their own fair share of one armed bandits)

Its the so called supporters who barrack for a club but dont support it, they are the misery guts in my opinion - the people who take pride in watching the games each week and saying they follow a particular club but dont spend a cent to help keep them playing week in and week out.

All current NEAFL footy club members who wish to continue with this current status quo should be working out the flamming obvious - what can I do for my club instead of what can my club do for me. Then getting off their bums and doing it.

The strong clubs will survive and the weak clubs will perish - mark my words.

Your a flog Smy!!!!!!!!!!!!! even RSL's survive because of pokies and most of there money goes to legacy to support veterans and there families, stupid comment. Get up with modern times, Southport FC BECAUSE OF THERE POKIES have made the NEAFL the standard it is today. Everyone has had to step up to keep up.

Big win by Morningside today. Had control all game. Played all aspects of finals footy to the tee. Maybe MT Gravatt were a bit flat from last weeks game in Darwin, but they were really pressured out of the game by Morningside, whose defence was exceptional today.

I blame Mt Gravatt's runner. He was shithouse last week.

Is it worth Morningside turning up? How shit are they?

Chops_your_off,

You must be talking about Stubbie _ thats if he travelled to NT - he is a great bloke you should catch up with him (if you can) one day and have a beer, he's one of footys special people. Or it may have been one of the Vultures emergency players - can imagine they would have been very testy and not taking to fools wisely.

On Morningside turning up.

Just remember your side is not real good at travelling and this could be a distinct disadvantage to the boys from the North.(even their achilles heel)

Its even contest I say in any Grand Final, making it is the hardest part - State verses a Brisbane Hamlet not even a city - I think it is well worth the boys from Morningside turning up for a chance at a threepeat. Thats three in a row Chops 1,2,3. Not a bad effort in this day and age of footy.

On a positive note though well done to both sides for making it and may the best prepared team win.

I blame Mt Gravatt's runner. He was shithouse last week.

Is it worth Morningside turning up? How shit are they?

Morningside are looking very ominous. Heaps of grand final experienced players ,with a mixture of outstanding youth and a exceptional coach with the knowhow... come gameplans, and we saw that some 9 weeks ago when they shutdown the Thunder at their homeground .

I think they will win next week.Big call, I know,but I said a few weeks ago... that Morningside and the Thunder will play off for the flag.

I still think it's strange it's not being played in Darwin.

Would get a pretty big crowd.

I also can't see how having 2 weeks off in 4 is an advantage. The Thunder were extremely flat last week, but Mt Gravatt were just absolutely woeful. Worse than that even.

That's Thunder's biggest hurdle there IMO. If they turn up and are switched on, it's no contest. It's theirs to lose.

Big win by Morningside today. Had control all game. Played all aspects of finals footy to the tee. Maybe MT Gravatt were a bit flat from last weeks game in Darwin, but they were really pressured out of the game by Morningside, whose defence was exceptional today.

Agree. Reports all planes out of Darwin are booked out.Hope so as very little atmosphere today.Loudest noise was the comeback from Southports 2s,down by 50 and stormed home to beat Vultures by 2 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2011 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back