NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

How the hell did 4 Morningside players make the Qld country team for this week championships.Team picked on reputation I suppose.Would have thought Panthers would want these players for Sat game against Mt Gravatt in battle of the spoon although the high spending Hornets are still in the mix.
Cats disappointing in 2nd half fade out against Redlands.Should have had the game in the bag at half time but that is footy.Redlands prob guaranteed 4th spot now.Battle for 5th between Cats,Labrador and Suns.

How the hell did 4 Morningside players make the Qld country team for this week championships.Team picked on reputation I suppose.Would have thought Panthers would want these players for Sat game against Mt Gravatt in battle of the spoon although the high spending Hornets are still in the mix.
Cats disappointing in 2nd half fade out against Redlands.Should have had the game in the bag at half time but that is footy.Redlands prob guaranteed 4th spot now.Battle for 5th between Cats,Labrador and Suns.
Agree with you staminade - Cats let it slip in the second half. Too many turnovers by foot that got hit on the scoreboard by bombers.
Twice Redlands have got off the hook against cats this year. Poyas has missed both games and feel it is the difference. Impressed by Redlands though - good even side.
Don't think Queanbeyan next week will be a lay down for the cats either. Season definately on the line now.
Can't see the 4th or 5th team going much further in the finals.

TIPS;

SUNS V LIONS - Bloody strong team the Lions
MORNINGSIDE v MT GRAVATT - Surely another win!
NT V LABRADOR - Far too good in NT...
SOUTHPORT V ASPLEY - YUP

Lions.To powerful.Expect Beams and Bartlett to poll well Grogan medal night.
Panthers.Overdue.
Southport.To big and strong.
Nt.Want home finals.No Alice curse as they won a Grand Final there last year.

Lions by 5 goals hopefully although the Suns have got a few players back
Mt Gravatt by 10 goals over a depleted looking Morningside
Southport to do a smash up on Aspley by 80 points
NT to sneak over the line over Lab by 2 goals. I'd probably tip Lab if Davey playing.

Cats need a couple of results, so we will be watching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty quiet on here at the moment. Bad result for the Cats on the weekend with the Suns getting up over the Lions. Ironically it was a Broadbeach top up player that kicked the goal that sealed the victory for the Suns and at the same time made it much more difficult for the Cats to play finals. I guess that is the nature of the comp.

Anyway a couple of important games this weekend- I expect Labrador to bounce back after a couple of losses over Hills and I just became a Sydney Swans ressies supporter!

I will complete the Tipping competition for 2012 but at the end of the season the Beach will be closed.So up to someone else to run it next year.

The next step for the AFLQ is to reallocate resources to the NEAFL, the structure of 3 Gold Coast clubs and 4 Brisbane clubs sitting beneath the 2 AFL clubs is right and is working but the NEAFL clubs apart from Southport and Aspley are surviving on enormous workloads on CDM's and volunteers.The NEAFL is now ready to provide ready made AFL players and the level of competition is sensational.I hear first hand ex VFL players talking about how high the level of football is.The resources in development and pathways areas must be realigned to assist the NEAFL clubs as this is the end point of the whole process.

In addition the NEAFL itself must be further resourced for the good of the game and the Lions and Suns.At last count the AFL had 104 media people on its own payroll, the NEAFL could do with any number of those but one would be a good start.In addition the NEAFL needs a marketing department to bring in more dollars on its own, it would be far easier to Market the NEAFL than any one individual club.A good example being the Foxtel cup exposure which is guaranteed to the league but not any one club.

When I speak of NEAFL I am only talking about the Northern Conference because that is where I have first hand knowledge, the Eastern Conference is at least 5 years behind the Northern Conference in Football Terms despite far greater money being spent within their league.Once again emphasising the load carried by too few.We are at a critical point in this development and growth of the NEAFL and Qld footy, The Points system is a handbrake to this growth.As stated already by others if the points system is enacted in its current form the Lions,Suns & Thunder will continue on and the local clubs will be stalled on the grid with the points system holding them back.Only a progressive rethink and redistribution of the existing resources can achieve the outcome everyone desires which is growth of the game.

I will complete the Tipping competition for 2012 but at the end of the season the Beach will be closed.So up to someone else to run it next year.

The next step for the AFLQ is to reallocate resources to the NEAFL, the structure of 3 Gold Coast clubs and 4 Brisbane clubs sitting beneath the 2 AFL clubs is right and is working but the NEAFL clubs apart from Southport and Aspley are surviving on enormous workloads on CDM's and volunteers.The NEAFL is now ready to provide ready made AFL players and the level of competition is sensational.I hear first hand ex VFL players talking about how high the level of football is.The resources in development and pathways areas must be realigned to assist the NEAFL clubs as this is the end point of the whole process.

In addition the NEAFL itself must be further resourced for the good of the game and the Lions and Suns.At last count the AFL had 104 media people on its own payroll, the NEAFL could do with any number of those but one would be a good start.In addition the NEAFL needs a marketing department to bring in more dollars on its own, it would be far easier to Market the NEAFL than any one individual club.A good example being the Foxtel cup exposure which is guaranteed to the league but not any one club.

When I speak of NEAFL I am only talking about the Northern Conference because that is where I have first hand knowledge, the Eastern Conference is at least 5 years behind the Northern Conference in Football Terms despite far greater money being spent within their league.Once again emphasising the load carried by too few.We are at a critical point in this development and growth of the NEAFL and Qld footy, The Points system is a handbrake to this growth.As stated already by others if the points system is enacted in its current form the Lions,Suns & Thunder will continue on and the local clubs will be stalled on the grid with the points system holding them back.Only a progressive rethink and redistribution of the existing resources can achieve the outcome everyone desires which is growth of the game.

Will Morningside win a Qld game this year?

Well said life's a beach. Neafl/qafl is possible the most underrated league in the country. Deserves more marketing, many noob suns/lions fans and interstaters still think it is a low level comp.

Time to change the perception/reality.

Otherwise I think the comp is good as it is, wouldn't change any of the rules regarding suns/lions either. Perhaps only rule being top up players can only play for them if not picked for their regular club senior side...

Speedyunit - Will Morningside win a Qld game this year?

Possibly no, but not sure that winning games is the clubs main priority at the moment. (although admit even if it was probably dont have the playing stock anyway). With a couple of key injuries and no hope of finals, seems the focus, especially since the state 18's finished, is on giving the younger brigade some senior game experience - last weekend there were 10 players 19 yo or younger in their team. Suspect this will continue for the remainder of the season.

Not helping that each week they continue to supply a couple of top up players to Lions and Suns. Good opportunity for boys themselves, but not helping a club struggling for numbers. Eg Bourke played with suns last week (and spending next two weeks in VFL), starcevich predominantly with Lions. Any tall forward would be useful for them at the moment!!

Speedyunit - Will Morningside win a Qld game this year?

Possibly no, but not sure that winning games is the clubs main priority at the moment. (although admit even if it was probably dont have the playing stock anyway). With a couple of key injuries and no hope of finals, seems the focus, especially since the state 18's finished, is on giving the younger brigade some senior game experience - last weekend there were 10 players 19 yo or younger in their team. Suspect this will continue for the remainder of the season.

Not helping that each week they continue to supply a couple of top up players to Lions and Suns. Good opportunity for boys themselves, but not helping a club struggling for numbers. Eg Bourke played with suns last week (and spending next two weeks in VFL), starcevich predominantly with Lions. Any tall forward would be useful for them at the moment!!
i hope they do get one!

Well done LAB for your weekly work on the tipping - must say it has been hard this year trying to pick a cleansweep with the side so evenly matched - well some sides anyway

Picks for this round

Suns
NT
Labrador
Lions
Broadbeach
Redlands

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back