Rumour Neale-y premiership time! (was: Neale before the Lions!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's got 2 years of his contract left, he is your best player & you are still in the premiership window. Unless you get offered way overs in terms of a trade (I doubt Fremantle will do this given their commitment to rebuilding via the draft) then he should be retained at least for the next 12 months.
King is talking bs if he doesn't think Brisbane hold the power. Dunkley was kept to his contract by the Dogs last year because Essendon wouldn't offer 2 first round picks & Neale is far better than Dunkley.
I guess it's one of those situations where Covid has complicated matters, heightening the stakes around being able to see family, and maybe he's determined to return to Perth with a kid on the way. I agree that clubs should be willing to enforce contracts if they're getting screwed but I also expect this will get done, assuming the reports are accurate. Both Freo and Brisbane will have two first-rounders this year so presumably some kind of swap gets agreed. I've seen a lot of folks suggesting Freo should give up picks 6 and 8 for Neale and 14. That seems like Freo would be overpaying for a guy who'll be 29 in May but I imagine something will get done involving first-rounders moving around.

Last edited:
Media are already saying Freo have all the bargaining power in this scenario. Wouldn't be surprised if we get shafted tbh. Maybe I'm being overly negative due to being in lockdown for 220 odd days.

I guess it's one of those situations where Covid has complicated matters, heightening the stakes around being able to see family, and he's determined to return to Perth with a kid on the way. I agree that clubs should be willing to enforce contracts if they're getting screwed but I also expect this will get done, assuming the reports are accurate. Both Freo and Brisbane will have two first-rounders this year so presumably some kind of swap gets agreed. I've seen a lot of folks suggesting Freo should give up picks 6 and 8 for Neale and 14. That seems like Freo would be overpaying for a guy who'll be 29 in May but I imagine something will get done involving first-rounders moving around.
Pfffttt. That has nothing to do with it.

Stats comparison
Media are already saying Freo have all the bargaining power in this scenario. Wouldn't be surprised if we get shafted tbh. Maybe I'm being overly negative due to being in lockdown for 220 odd days.
Ignore it. Both clubs will have a say in this if it is to happen.

What's that? The circumstances around Covid?

For players who are concerned about being able to see their families, I reckon the circumstances may have sharpened that focus and pushed it up the list of priorities.

I reckon the "personal issues" card gets overplayed, but for folks who are inclined to play it, I reckon the pandemic would have made those concerns more pressing. It doesn't mean Brisbane are compelled to trade him, although I reckon they will.

Yeah,
it's not like he has a couple of years remaining on his contract or that those two remaining years could be the last two years of his prime.
I would like to agree, but the fact David king has said this ultimately means it’s not the actual fact….
clearly two years of a contract remaining and winning a Brownlow doesn’t equal currency and bargaining power…. Haha 😂
What a flog!

He's got 2 years of his contract left, he is your best player & you are still in the premiership window. Unless you get offered way overs in terms of a trade (I doubt Fremantle will do this given their commitment to rebuilding via the draft) then he should be retained at least for the next 12 months.
King is talking bs if he doesn't think Brisbane hold the power. Dunkley was kept to his contract by the Dogs last year because Essendon wouldn't offer 2 first round picks & Neale is far better than Dunkley.
I completely agree mate, just taking the piss at David kings views… it’s bewildering that he actually views this situation in that way

ease up.... Felons brewery have good pizzas and beer on tap. Enjoying the breeze there they are.

Fantastic spot. Sea Legs the other side of the Story Bridge is even better beer, but just sitting at Felons and looking out over the river is a delight.

I would like to agree, but the fact David king has said this ultimately means it’s not the actual fact….
clearly two years of a contract remaining and winning a Brownlow doesn’t equal currency and bargaining power…. Haha 😂
What a flog!
How much difference do you reckon a Brownlow makes? It's not an indication that he'll win a Brownlow at Fremantle if he goes back. He's played very good football at Brisbane. I think everyone knows that. But what does that mean about his trade value given he'll be 29 in May?

Cerra to carlton
Neal to Freo
Walsh to lions (supported as a Child) on neals coin

Carlton Keep pick 6 and get 8 and Ely Smith ?

I get that but he couldn't get out of Fremantle quick enough 3 years ago & now its all about family. I'll bet that if Lyon was still coaching Freo he would be happy to stay in Brisbane. He's originally from SA so clearly his wife is pulling the strings here about returning to Perth.
This is a business and Brisbane can't just let him go for what is considered to be a "fair trade", it has to be in their favour given his contract status. In 12 months maybe I would be more sympathetic.

The Brisbane Lions have today met with midfielder Lachie Neale.

Lions CEO Greg Swann, GM of Football Danny Daly and Senior Coach Chris Fagan sat down with the Brownlow medallist following reports he was seeking to return to Western Australia.

Neale and his wife Jules are expecting their first child and he has confirmed the couple are weighing up where they would like to raise their family.

He did not request a trade but has asked for some time to have further discussions with his wife and family.

The Lions will not make any further comment at this stage and we request that Lachie and Jules’ privacy be respected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statement:

Lions CEO Greg Swann, GM of Football Danny Daly and Senior Coach Chris Fagan sat down with the Brownlow medallist following reports he was seeking to return to Western Australia.

Neale and his wife Jules are expecting their first child and he has confirmed the couple are weighing up where they would like to raise their family.

He did not request a trade but has asked for some time to have further discussions with his wife and family.

The Lions will not make any further comment at this stage and we request that Lachie and Jules’ privacy be respected.

How much difference do you reckon a Brownlow makes? It's not an indication that he'll win a Brownlow at Fremantle if he goes back. He's played very good football at Brisbane. I think everyone knows that. But what does that mean about his trade value given he'll be 29 in May?
I’m not expecting picks like you have for Tim kelly 😆
It was purely a comment based around what he is achieved since leaving freo

Seems a bit disingenuous. I wonder if it’s just to reduce the talk in the media while we start to work something out with Freo

It has a feel of "never meant to come out until trade week, but whatever"

TBH it’s a laughable situation. Lachie and his partner would be well aware that they were going to have a family when they moved over here. Treating people like morons only speaks of their character IMO.

Ripped off. Waited all day to be told... Nothing.

Sheesh.

Doesn't take the legs away from the lions not knowing, and that he has talked to Freo.

It means he has reached a level that 99.9% of players never reach. And it was won just 2 years ago. That's why it is of value in any trade now. Being 29 is a factor, but not a defining one.

I think if i was the club in the meeting and there was some substance to Lachie wanting to go home, and like mighty said that made be to finish up in WA I'd be making a few phone calls before any announcement. I'd call both the Dockers and Eagles and talk about a trade this year and next to gauge the market feel. If we are miles apart we front up in the media with Lachie and say "yep it's where Lachie want to finish, we knew that, we will try but it's not this year". Kill the story and move on.

If there is some interest, we play the family line but again we are frantically making calls to other managers for prospects and gauge their feel, if there are possibilities then we have our press release about having a crack on 'family reasons' and seeing where it can lead. The key line is we are a family club BUT we are also a club that respects contracts and wont roll over easily.

It would be a long meeting as far as I can tell.

Personally, I'd like to kill the story with brut force, when hell freezes over this year, but next year is a possibility. Then spend this trade and draft getting ready.

I do feel we were blindsided, there is just not enough time in one day to make all these calls and get answers.

If Lachie was going to kill the story he would have, given it's on the table now one way or another, as a club we have to do due diligence on the possibilities.

I’m not expecting picks like you have for Tim kelly 😆
You mean picks in the teens and above?

You'd want at least one of Freo's top 10 picks, which WC didn't have.

It was purely a comment based around what he is achieved since leaving freo
Sure, but I'm not sure that determines his trade value?

It means he has reached a level that 99.9% of players never reach. And it was won just 2 years ago. That's why it is of value in any trade now. Being 29 is a factor, but not a defining one.
Yeah, I'm not sure him winning a Brownlow two years ago is going to determine what you get for him at the end of 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back