Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

We should look at trading Murphy as he will have trade currency.

No he doesn't. He's 70 game small forward who is firmly in no-mans land in a bottom 4 side.

He might be able to find a gig elsewhere, but his best hope is as a DFA.

My evidence is that he hasn't played that role yet in a rebuilding team despite 4 years in the system. Yours is 'he might go well in that role' based on what? Under 18s?

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
No, my evidence is in the contests at AFL level where he has not been a pushover as you suggest!

Your view is based on bias not actual evidence.

No, my evidence is in the contests at AFL level where he has not been a pushover as you suggest!

Yep he is killing it, that is why 3 years worth of freshly drafted midfielders have gone past him and got minutes instead. Just unlucky I guess!

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Again last night.. he had a kick around 40 or 45m from goal near the boundary line... came up 5m short... imagine a finals ... kick after the siren situation... he would need to feign some sort of injury cause he can't even kick it 40m.. quite frankly that's not good enough for afl... you would have thought he might have gained at least 5 to 10m on his kick becoming a pro.... he just doesn't have an afl skillset.

McHenry is better further up the ground, rather than close to goals. He is an accurate kick, except for goals.

I would like to add him to the midfield rotation.
He might do something in the midfield given what you say, but do we really want to invest time in him as a midfielder?

It's like we're hoping to find something that doesn't make the pick a complete waste, I get it.

The midfield however is where the game is won or lost. Ned might become serviceable there, I dont think it's out of the question, but we should be going after guys that make the difference in that midfield and Ned isn't going to be that.

I'd rather invest in others in this crucial part of the ground.

He might do something in the midfield given what you say, but do we really want to invest time in him as a midfielder?

It's like we're hoping to find something that doesn't make the pick a complete waste, I get it.

The midfield however is where the game is won or lost. Ned might become serviceable there, I dont think it's out of the question, but we should be going after guys that make the difference in that midfield and Ned isn't going to be that.

I'd rather invest in others in this crucial part of the ground.
I said a few weeks ago that I would send McHenry back to the sanfl to reprogram as a midfielder.

Ignoring basic skills deficiencies, I see his size and lack of real pace as limitations he can’t improve.
He lacks the power to break a tackle - even the most tenuous grab on his jumper in a tackle brings him to a screaming halt.
Conversely, when he “sticks” a tackle of his own, the player can still get a decent disposal away.
And I can’t recall him ever completing a genuine run down tackle. He runs towards the player with the ball but never actually catches up.

I'll take a late 3rd, bundle that with our 3rd to get another early 2nd.
You continue to talk crap. No club gives you an early 2nd for two 3rds - ever.

But the BIG problem with your suggestion is we DON'T HAVE a 3rd pick, we currently have pick 4, 22 then something out in the 70's

You continue to talk crap. No club gives you an early 2nd for two 3rds - ever.

But the BIG problem with your suggestion is we DON'T HAVE a 3rd pick, we currently have pick 4, 22 then something out in the 70's
Unless they are chasing points for matching... but otherwise you are correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh? He gets pushed off the ball all the time and gos to ground way too easily for a midfielder above the grade of u-17s.

He attacks a contest or tackle with vigour, but that isn't the same as being strong in the contest.

Hmmmmm (wasn’t the first instance in this game either)

Look, he's not a superstar, and it's been what 3 years?

There's literally been no other players in the history of AFL that have improved after that timeframe, so we should cut our losses while we can.

Look, he's not a superstar, and it's been what 3 years?

There's literally been no other players in the history of AFL that have improved after that timeframe, so we should cut our losses while we can.
I nearly fell off my chair reading that no player in the history of the AFL has improved after their third year.

For the sake of my contest of your comment, allow me to assume all players began their careers at 18 years of age.

Using this, any player who won an AFL award like an AA jumper, Coleman, Brownlow etc, for the first time at the age of 22 or more, has proved they must have improved beyond their third year.

I don't want to waste my time looking but I'd be amazed if even 20% of Coleman and Brownlow medalists were under 22 years of age. Slightly higher for AA honours but still in the minority.

Even "ordinarily" players frequently show improvement after their third year. Just in our team Dawson, Fogarty, Laird, Walker, Doedee are good examples of players who have improved through years of experience and certainly beyond their three year anniversary in the AFL.

Ned gets heaps in here and often from me too. I just don't agree with a kneejerk response to someone who might be another good player but is slower maturing.

Speaking of maturity, Ned is a small stature guy who plays above his weight division every game. Given this, a couple of extra years is needed for him to reach his physical peak. Compared to the man child types who are ready to go from a younger age.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on whether we should keep Ned or not. But I'm prepared to be more patient than three years and you're out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back