Neil Craig steps down

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably stayed on a little too long.

Was a reactive coach and pretty average on match day.

No doubt a good sport scientist and meticulous planner, but you could literally see him freeze when the heat came.

Good servant though, wish him well.
yes, i agree. 2 years too long. would've been better as an assistant coach. good sport scientist for sure. staying any longer would've been even more detrimental to adelaide. glad he did the right thing... finally.

Bickley?? Kidding right. Be about as good as Primus. Club even said he wasn't ready to be a senior coach during this year...in other words not up to it.
They won't have the guts to get a non-south australian after the debalce of Shaw and Ayres. So Goodwin has the job. Possible outsider Scott Burns, but they'll go Goodwin.

IMO, Goodwin won't get it

I reckon Burns and Sanderson are a good shot at it

Bassett and Hinkley outsiders

A good honest man, let down by his players.
Probably too nice to be an AFL coach.

Would love to have him at west coast in some capacity.

No doubt now he is gone they will play far above themselves this week end. Like taking a mallet and mercilessly battering a heart that has already been broken.

His presser.

[YOUTUBE]qxQZDu_FbWQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zMMgTAekik8[/YOUTUBE]

For a bloke who apparently lost the players, he obviously still does have a lot of love for them.
I haven't really heard him speak much over the journey but he was impressive in that. Honest, engaging, humourous. Respect :thumbsu:

Can't say i'm surprised.

Probably would have had a flag or 2 to his name if it weren't for the Eagles though.

yeah a Mark Ricciuto suspension and a superfueled Ben Cousins stood between Neil and being a Premeirship Coach. We had the Swans measure but never got to play them in a final in 2005 or 2006.

The loss to the Saints in 2005 was a hammer blow in hindsight.

For a bloke who apparently lost the players, he obviously still does have a lot of love for them.
I haven't really heard him speak much over the journey but he was impressive in that. Honest, engaging, humourous. Respect :thumbsu:

I don't think he lost the players - the way he speaks about them, and the way almost all of them speak about him, they just sounded to genuine and sincere; but then, you watch their onfield efforts, and you have to wonder.

I think Craigy said it himself - he doesn't think he's lost the players, but maybe, after 7 years, the message isn't getting through and it's time for a change.

I don't think he lost the players - the way he speaks about them, and the way almost all of them speak about him, they just sounded to genuine and sincere; but then, you watch their onfield efforts, and you have to wonder.

I think Craigy said it himself - he doesn't think he's lost the players, but maybe, after 7 years, the message isn't getting through and it's time for a change.
So maybe he lost the players because the message isn't get through?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he wasn't let down by his players, he overhyped them into people believing they're older and better then they are then fell on his own sword

Had little choice in the end with players consistently failing to perform.
I reckon the 2009 PF loss probably crossed a threshold for the playing group and they no longer had enough faith in the game plan. Coupled with a lengthy injury list and poorly managed retirements, 2010 and 2011 has seen performances well below that of previous years where the side would always be competitive.

2005/6 were years of surprising dominance for many, but at least 1 GF appearance should have resulted. Craig's finals record will always be held against him.

Bickley has the interim job, but few supporters rate him.
I think the club can bounce back reasonably well... with the best coach available at the helm.

I dont reckon Collingwood or the Bulldogs losing would have affected the Crows players too much.

Funny, no idiot has mentioned Terry Wallace as a possible replacement.

I dont reckon Collingwood or the Bulldogs losing would have affected the Crows players too much.
Obviously I meant the 2009 Semi Final against Collingwood, which Craig cops a lot of blame for, but there were 3 goals given away from silly frees/penalties that made a big difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Neil Craig steps down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back