New AFL site (suggestions, complaints and compliments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: '96 AFL website > '07 AFL website

53r8byq.jpg

now there's a website you could be proud of!

even with no hyperlinks, headings or images i reckon we can still find the ladder, stats and fixture easier than on the abomination that is the 2007 version.

lol

the sad fact is the AFL Contract has infected most of the club websites as well.

way back when the saints website was massively popular and it was run by amateurs on behalf of the club.

now its pretty much an over the top dogs breakfast like the AFL website, and a quick scan of other clubs is that its pretty much the same.

I think the layout is 'fashionable' as many businesses are set up similarly.

I reckon simplicity is a good start, instead of trying to cram eleventy billion bits of crap on the one page and completely disfunctional links.

cricinfo is another website that got 'packered' about 6 or 7 years ago.

By just adding the screen shots to this thread has slowed the whole thing down.....

The AFL site is a disgrace. When compiling the stats for the shots for and against thread, yesterday they still didn't even have the scores up for Sundays games and today when I was on it again I had a look and they had all six teams (3 matches) goalless.

I honestly never go there anymore if I can help it.

I don't have a slow computer or internet connection, but the poor thing freezes up like it is having a heart attack whenever you open the AFL page.

Whoever made the page is a clown, tone down all the little videos etc so the page can work properly on the average computer.

I don't bother going to the AFL website anymore for anything, period.
The club websites are managed by the same mob who did the main AFL page and are just place holders for dynamic content generated by the main site which is why they are crap as well. Accordingly I also no longer visit the FFC club website. I also delete the weekly "news" letter unread as it has nothing of any interest that I haven't already seen hours before. Surely the AFL will notice the traffic to the site going down and make the obvious conclusion and demand some answers. It is one of the most depressing aspects of the modern world that the larger and more corporate something becomes the less it's capable of getting anything useful done. Can you imagine the money, time & effort that has gone into creating the abomination that is the AFL website? Will someone ever get reamed out for it and made to do it properly?

There's only 1 reason why the '96 site isn't better than the '07 site. '96 had a splash page that did nothing but provide a link to the main page, a logo, an ugly image and some of the worst uses of type I've seen.

The fact that the user has to have a splash page load and then click a link before any actual information can load is crap. The AFL site could look like Carly Ryan's myspace right now and it'd still be better than the '96 site, provided the current site still had the same information.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have a slow computer or internet connection, but the poor thing freezes up like it is having a heart attack whenever you open the AFL page.

Whoever made the page is a clown, tone down all the little videos etc so the page can work properly on the average computer.

i have satellite internet here at work.

100 billion gigabyte a millisecond type of setup.

opens every website on the world wide web in like under a second.

but not www.afl.com.au; that takes a good 3-5 minutes. to actually get everything loaded & working properly. AND THEN YOU CAN'T FIND ANYTHING INTERESTING OR USEFUL!!!

Damn i tried using that machine so I could view all the tabs on Mxtabs before they were taken down :p

I just hate how slow the AFL website is to load. It seems to me like a bunch of workers made it without considering what the average home user has acces to. Every time i go their, it not only takes ages to load the page, but also slows anything else i'm doing right down.

So happy the bombers have their own website.

Website opens up fine for me, took 8 seconds for me...I'd look at what crap you've all got running, especially make sure your flash and all that are up-to-date.

Website opens up fine for me, took 8 seconds for me...I'd look at what crap you've all got running, especially make sure your flash and all that are up-to-date.

Is this KB....you sound like KB.....everyone in this site hates it and everyone on this site has problems with it but you don't. Therefore it must be our computers fault......

Its like everything in the AFL at the moment. F**ked. Who are the people telling Adrian and Andrew that things are running smoothly and everything is fine? Or do they just turn a blind eye once they create something new and not give a shit how it works. The AFL is pathetic.

OMG the AFL website is Skynet, proximty virus scan...ITS KILLING ME!!!!

The Terminator: Preseason 2005, The Telstranet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line Rd 1 2005. Anything remotely useful is removed from the AFL website. Telstranet continues to clutter the team pages at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, Rd 10 2007, but is still not able to tell you who is 2nd on the ladder at any given time. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
Sarah Connor: Telstranet fights back.
The Terminator: Yes. It launches its array of flash macros, popups, and splash advertising against the targets at Cricinfo.net.
John Connor: Why attack Cricinfo? Aren't they our friends now?
The Terminator: Because Telstranet knows the Cricinfo counter-attack will eliminate its enemies over here.

The Terminator: Preseason 2005, The Telstranet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line Rd 1 2005. Anything remotely useful is removed from the AFL website. Telstranet continues to clutter the team pages at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, Rd 10 2007, but is still not able to tell you who is 2nd on the ladder at any given time. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
Sarah Connor: Telstranet fights back.
The Terminator: Yes. It launches its array of flash macros, popups, and splash advertising against the targets at Cricinfo.net.
John Connor: Why attack Cricinfo? Aren't they our friends now?
The Terminator: Because Telstranet knows the Cricinfo counter-attack will eliminate its enemies over here.

Gold :thumbsu:

I can get it to work in IE but it has that horrible 'available shortly' message in bold when I use Firefox. Not sure if they have reversed on all users apart from IE or if it is another issue.

Such a horrible site though. I hate it with a passion. Why the AFL don't come in and set things straight is beyond me. I wouldn't accept this crappy site if it was my company.

And that Essendon site is good. Wish all the club sites were like that. Looks great, works, easy to navigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back