New AFL site (suggestions, complaints and compliments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Another week, another AFL website ****-up

Back up mellow yellow... and the best commentary team Melbourne MMM finally streaming beautifully

Couldnt get it thru firefox or opera but eventually ie was able to access it. still not good enough tho as we bring up these same threads with the same problems every week .

Live stream links for those that cant get them..........

SEN mms://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live3

MMM mmm mms://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live1

3aw mms://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live2

Couldnt get it thru firefox or opera but eventually ie was able to access it. still not good enough tho as we bring up these same threads with the same problems every week .

Live stream links for those that cant get them..........

SEN mms://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live3

MMM mmm mms://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live1

3aw mms://wm9.streaming.telstra.com/ucs-wh_afl0live2
buy you a drink sir.. ?

Re: When was the last time you visited the AFL website ?

it's because so many people jump on to do their sides at 7pm friday.

No shit. Someone should warn the AFL that they should expect a surge of traffic around two hours before the first game of each round. Whoever would have thought?

Oh wait - the same problem has been occurring since Al Gore invented the internet back in 1990? Damn. Perhaps they should get rid of some of the 4065pointless flash animations on the front page in order to conserve some bandwidth for when the site is slow...

I'm able to get them - have so since the first bounce.

But I would like to know who is leading the possession counts, rather than "ranking points", contested and uncontested possessions, etc. Simply who has taken the most marks, kicked and handpassed it, and laid tackles (plus goals and behinds of course).

Click on 'Full Stats' then 'Teams'

We finally have SuperCoach scores for every player too!

Well done Sandy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need a site like the premier league site. It is very simple, has very quick updates and loads quickly. It has all the imformation that people want.

Gameday actually starting to look pretty good now. Still a memory hog, but many improvements from the start of the season.

Mind you the main afl site is down, so it's only thanks to Baroclinic instability for the direct Gameday link that I can access it.

Wow.. the new Gameday Live feature is AWESOME!!

I'm having a lot of fun watching the point-by-point 'Goal Map' illustrations showing how the goals were kicked... click on the blue arrow next to the goals scored in the live scores section..

That is so damn cool.

Also, i'm not getting any/much lag loading pages, and i'm not a bigpond subscriber (my ISP is Netspace).

Re: BetaSite of AFL.com.au

I'm a bit late with this conversation (by a couple of months), but I was travelling at the time. It's an issue for me, so I'll be pitching in regardless of delays...

lonie_from_50...
As for the a-league, all due respect to our football counterparts at the FFA, the ads could be down the bottom because they don't have enough traffic today, to generate decent revenues from advertising. The advertisers who want exposure on AFL.com know the traffic numbers and want to be "above the fold".

Advertising will always annoy people, I acknowledge that. The reality is it's where the revenues are online (today).

I understand your position, and I know that you have to include the ads. But there's a balance to be struck between the ads and the content. If the ads are too obtrusive they just ***** people off, working against the advertiser instead of for them. Google have taken the opposite extreme.

Personally, I think that the balance from an advertiser's perspective is somewhere in the middle. You're visible, but not upsetting consumers. Unfortunately, the AFL site is too far beyond that point, and right into the "so-in-your-face-you-can't-see-the-content" area.

My own perspective is that the advertising has been so annoying that I have been disinclined to come back to solve my technical issues. It's been over a month since I went back..... and I paid for access (since I'm overseas at the moment)

Paul

Re: BetaSite of AFL.com.au

Also, you stated that Firefox accounts for some 2% of your users. That's utter crap and you know it is. If indeed your counters are telling you that it's because people use FF and it doesn't work so 'frustratingly' login with IE on following occasions. That doesn't fix the problem.

I have to second the opinion about the number of Firefox users.

If the number of users you have using Firefox is only 2%, that's because anyone using Firefox who looks at your page doesn't bother to come back because they're not supported. Or they fire up that copy of IE that they can't stand JUST to look at the AFL page.

Surely you can see that it's a problem that you're getting different statistics to the rest of the internet?

As one of the site's biggest critics, and in particular the scoreworm, I must say that the scoreworm for Friday night's game was excellent :thumbsu:

wormcrmo1.jpg

Compare it to:

afl6crwx0.jpg

Hi Sandy,

This thread has been going on for some months now, and I have to admit I'm impressed with the way you've handled it. I know how tough it is to deal with complaints from people who don't understand the effort going in, or all the problems you have solved. Thanks.

I'd like to ask if you've considered a different approach for the site, rather than trying to address individual issues with the current software? This is because there seem to be a big list of problems, which I've noted that others have also encountered:
- I run a Mac. On both Firefox and Safari I have been unable to get a video at all. The closest I get is being told I need to login, but not being provided the option to do so.
- The Flash site is VERY heavy. Firefox site between 15-20% consistently, even when there are no animations. Safari is even worse, as it goes to 100% CPU and stays there.
- Running Windows XP in Parallels lets me watch the video in IE. However, the video is unwatchable. It plays nicely for 30 seconds, and then waits while rebuffering. Then it plays nicely for 30 seconds, etc.

The video pausing problem does not appear to be an issue with bandwidth, as it follows a very consistent pattern. If there were choke points along the way then the period between rebuffering would vary, but this is not the case. I also regularly stream video between Gippsland and here in the USA, and there are no problems at all.

I've been thinking that another approach to the site might be worth considering. I haven't encountered issues like this on a Mac for some years. I also find that streaming video on all other sites works without a problem, weather it be a media file or a Flash movie. Since other sites have solved these problems, then perhaps another approach would work?

Paul

Thanks Sandy for getting the ranking points up and runnning.

On a different topic, why are so many people hung up on the score worm, just look at the scoreboard snapperheads!

I agree that the scoreworm isnt a big deal but its the little details that make a site good. It is handy to know how the game has flowed, you cant get that from the scoreboard. Its a good start to see it changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back