Votes: 84 35.7%
  • Alex Pearce

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Awful captain. Awful player.

I genuinely believe Joel Hamling is a better player.

Joel hamling for cap

ca86ecf73ca1387d91c06a546a93992e2ee79542

Awful captain. Awful player.

I genuinely believe Joel Hamling is a better player.
He always was tbh. Pearce's greatest appeal lay in that Darcy Moore/Rance charging out of defence like a madman but injuries have robbed him of that and all you have left is a not particularly mobile tall who isn't great one on one and shits himself with ball in hand.

Yeah right. Pathetic post . Not surprising tho , given the comments on here.
He let a washed Franklin kick 3.1. That’s not even including the one he kicked ootf and the two goal assists.

And it’s not just that. It’s the way he loses the contests. Tripping over his own feet and dragging Franklin down with him for no reason. And the inability to kick, refusal to handball to the runner who’s calling for it, fumbling every ground ball, and taking useless risky kicks across goal that set Sydney up for an intercept in their f50

We would have been much better with Hamling and Cox as our keys.

If he wasn’t captain or seen as a leader at the club he would’ve been dropped for Hamling earlier in the year. And if we still had Logue? He barely would’ve gotten a game in his current form.
There’s no way he captains next year if we are a serious team.

It’s honestly such a shame I was a huge Pearce fan since his debut and think he was a very talented AA quality defender but there is no doubt injuries have ruined him over time. Particularly his ankles. There is no stability in his body, that sounds weird but it’s true when you watch him. Every now and then he shows glimpses of that ability to beat his opponent with pace and strength, burst through and rebound but it’s rare nowadays and every opponent he has now knows how easy it is to nudge his body off balance and take the free space or get a head start on a lead.

I genuinely think he must be wearing modified boots with limited studs. Has no grip. Falls over. Pushed over. Can't change direction.

Refused to give Wagner handballs as he was running past. Several times. Then proceeds to fluff the kick. Just an awful captain.
Why doesn’t he handball to the runner? Been doing it all year. Then he proceeds to kick sideways and miss a target, leading either to turnover or such slow ball movement.

He takes a good mark and defends ok but I’m certainly noticing him falling over a lot. Needs get that sorted and be told to handball at all cost to the runners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That time when we had a bit of game momentum in the last Q early and he ignored the handball receive to Wagner (who I am liking more and more BTW) instead kicking a horrible backwards pass by foot that ended up with Hughes in the back pocket, was just awful. Terrible decision making and leadership. Schofield called him out on it in commentary too.
Know your limitations

That time when we had a bit of game momentum in the last Q early and he ignored the handball receive to Wagner (who I am liking more and more BTW) instead kicking a horrible backwards pass by foot that ended up with Hughes in the back pocket, was just awful. Terrible decision making and leadership. Schofield called him out on it in commentary too.
Know your limitations
That was one that came to mind as well. But there were other occasions and every week. Wagner speeding past and another as well. He just had to handball it off.

We were discussing the same matter at our football training - I got a bit annoyed that I was constantly being ignored on a switch. Coach did agree and pointed out that if you ignore players they will just give up eventually and go “what’s the #* point”. Wagner hasn’t been in the team that long his natural game is to run off half back. There is likely a case with some players like Clark for example who go “what’s the point”.

Alex needs to handball off at first thought. It needs to become second nature. Also please a new Captain in 2024. He hasn’t worked and a bad apt.

Criticism of Pearce as a captain based on his on field performance and general demeanour is fine. The whole nose ring long hair woke politics etc etc. criticsm is a bit cringe and really has nothing to do with his suitability as a captain. And they're coming from the same people who praise Darcy Moore as a captain, who is literally the same guy as Pearce off the field.

Criticism of Pearce as a captain based on his on field performance and general demeanour is fine. The whole nose ring long hair woke politics etc etc. criticsm is a bit cringe and really has nothing to do with his suitability as a captain. And they're coming from the same people who praise Darcy Moore as a captain, who is literally the same guy as Pearce off the field.

I disagree

He needs to stop posing during the week and actually look like a captain

Moore can pull it off because he's an A grade player

I disagree

He needs to stop posing during the week and actually look like a captain

Moore can pull it off because he's an A grade player
Oh get over it. Since when did a captain have to look a certain way. What posing is he doing outside any normal stuff a captain is required to do?

He’s clearly the wrong choice of captain but none of it has to do with his interests or how he presents himself in terms of appearance, and everything to do with his mental/psychological side and his on field performances.

Agreed - I think all footy players should stay out of politics, when speaking in their role for the club. I think that for all sides of politics.

Performance and demeanour are all that it should be based on. Sadly, and I didn't predict he would slide this far so fast, he has been a C grader for a year or so and now is in the bottom couple of no.1 KPD in the league.

I mentioned this last week but he is the big guy in basketball who can't get on the court anymore because the game has moved past him. His disposal is terrible. Opposition teams should plan to let him be the outlet or open player at all times. This happened with Dawson and will happen with Pearce. Sag off him, limit his run forward and wait for the low percentage team killer disposal.

Lost count of the amount of times he got bodied by a retiree

Yep - his confidence and body have clearly gone. It has never been Buddy's way of beating players through his career. Tonight he looked like he was Hawkins playing a first year body on body.

Send him for surgery, take the captaincy from him next season and play him only if form and fitness dictate.

Remove this Banner Ad

News New Captain for 2023 - Alex Pearce

Back